Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Did we know about this operation Rodney? If I missed it, I'm sorry. Is this something you have just been diagnosed with, or something you have had for a while.

Anyway, lots and lots of luck!
No Sally I only told Don, but yes the hernia happened a few weeks ago, the pain was bad, went to Doc, he sent a letter to a consultant, hospital sent me an appointment to see the consultant within 2 weeks of seeing my G.P.
saw consultant last week, I have an appointment to go into hospital on August 4th for the operation, its going to be keyhole surgery.
So June 14th I saw G.P. about the hernia, ---- August 4th is my appointment for actual surgery, so less then 7 weeks from start to finish, I say not bad at all for socialized health care three cheers to the NHS
PS my Doc G.P. prescribed a groin hernia truss for me immediately, and so no pain while I wait for operation,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Just had to jump in here. This thread is my cup of tea, even though I'm not one of the original "gang". I joined the thread in January 2011 and was really made to feel welcome. Yes, I did get a few bits of important information, but THE MOST IMPORTANT PART was interacting with people who understand how it feels to be an expat. Then a few months ago things started getting quite nasty and hurtful so I stopped reading altogether. Have been reading again for a couple of weeks now and it has that nice warm friendly feeling back again, how lovely!!

So, a little update from me. We sold our house in June (in 6 days) and have a flight out on July 22nd. Now, I'm really starting to panic, as the reality has kicked in. Having been in Canada for 31 years, I know its going to be a huge culture shock. Will be staying with family while we look for a house, so that will be difficult, but how lucky we are to have people who love us.

Interesting comments from a few people about July 4th. I feel exactly the same way on Canada Day, totally alien! I've always felt English, and even though we have lots of Canadian friends, and have absolutely loved living here, its time to go home!

One thing that has really surprised me though is how our friends and neighbours have responded to the news of us leaving. We have been overwhelmed with good wishes and all kinds of leaving parties, dinners etc. and way more tears than I ever would have expected. So, it just goes to show you never really know what others people are thinking after all. (We always felt that we didn't really fit in however hard we tried). I must say my husband is much more matter of fact about all of this, and far less emotional (which is a good thing too...one basket case in the family is enough).

Sorry this is long and hopefully not too boring!
Hello somersetgirl nice to hear from you again, ----- boring? are you kidding,
your news is wonderful, Wow you sold your house in just 6 days, how absolutely amazing, and now so quickly you have a flight bringing you (HOME)
on July 22nd, oh I am so happy for you and your hubby,
You say now you are begining to panic, dont worry about that, its natural after being away from home for over 30 years, I can remember my panic when I was down to my last couple of weeks, although I was so busy for months sorting all my stuff out and dumping a lot of stuff, and then all the other loose ends you have to tie up when you know your not coming back again, it can be soooo overwhelming, have I forgot to do something? you ask yourself, but just go with the flow you will be alright, and it is easier to get everything done when theres two of you,
As for settling in to a much different lifestyle when you are here in U.K. again just go with the flow, it will take a while to settle in and adjust to everything, some settle in and feel comfortable living here quite quickly, but others --- well it takes longer, we are all different,
But one little IMPORTANT detail I would like to mention to you is ---- if you intend to keep a Canadian bank account open ----- make sure that you go into your bank and tell one of the managers of the bank that you are going to be living in the U.K. from now on ---- and they will note that in there records and your be fine, (BUT) if you dont do this then as soon as you try and take any money out of your Canadian account in the U.K. you will not be able to because they will put a block on you account, they do this to protect you,
Anyway you have a safe trip out here and again congratulations on the sale of the house, that must be a world record of just 6 days
Good luck and now you are starting the rest of your life, how exciting
Rodney.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by I like tea
Agree. There is only about 9 people who post on here now and anyone new doesn't stay long as they are soon attacked for their different views.

Pistolpete2
I have read some of your other posts on different threads and find them to be intellegent, thoughful and very informative. Obviously the people on this thread don't admire these qualities.

Jasper
I found your reply to Pistolpetes post very unkind and insulting. To attack him so personally was uncalled for. Everyone is supposed to be able to express their opinions on this site without being personally insulted. After all you have stated yourself that you only had one friend in the USA after living there most of your life. Plus you've admitted you were a deadbeat dad not having any part in the upbringing of your children. ( your comments not mine)Hardly things to brag about.

And another thing. To the people who after years of living abroad suddenly decide to uproot and free load off their aged parents. Have you thought how it might impact on their lives ? They might just find it very disruptive and inconvenient not to say emotionally draining to have their son/daughter suddenly descend on them and then whinge about aspects of their life in the UK. There is always two sides to every augument it's a pity people can only see their side.
I like Tea,
Yes you are right, I was a Deadbeat Dad, ------ But you are dead wrong if you think Im proud of what I did, the actions I took when I was very young regarding my Son and Daughter has tormented me all these years, and although Im back home now I can never expect a normal relationship with my Kids, I dont deserve it, I know that, and that makes me very sad,

But having said that tea you have never walked in my shoes, you dont know the circumstances which led up to my decision to abandon my Kids and travel 6,000 miles to start a new life in another country,
NO you dont know any of it, and although I would love to share these details with everyone on here I feel I cant ---- because its all way too complicated, and way too personal.
Rodney.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Nor do you have to answer such nasty insults.

somersetgirl, so nice to hear that you sold your house and are ready to go! Do you have a place lined up over there or will you be staying with friends for a while?

Edited: Oops just re-read and saw that you're staying with family. I hope you find something really soon!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 5th 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
No Sally I only told Don, but yes the hernia happened a few weeks ago, the pain was bad, went to Doc, he sent a letter to a consultant, hospital sent me an appointment to see the consultant within 2 weeks of seeing my G.P.
saw consultant last week, I have an appointment to go into hospital on August 4th for the operation, its going to be keyhole surgery.
So June 14th I saw G.P. about the hernia, ---- August 4th is my appointment for actual surgery, so less then 7 weeks from start to finish, I say not bad at all for socialized health care three cheers to the NHS
PS my Doc G.P. prescribed a groin hernia truss for me immediately, and so no pain while I wait for operation,
Wow, well good luck with it! 7 weeks seems pretty good from seeing your GP to surgery - it would take that long here too.

Will you have to stay in the hospital for a night or is it outpatient surgery?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, well good luck with it! 7 weeks seems pretty good from seeing your GP to surgery - it would take that long here too.

Will you have to stay in the hospital for a night or is it outpatient surgery?
No Sally a Hernia operation these days is done while still an outpatient, the Op takes less then an hour under general anesthetic, and when you wake up in the recovery room as long as you have someone to take you home then you are released same day,
This is my second Hernia, I had one in Las vegas in the groin on the other side about 8 years ago, I was working for a company with good health care plan then, so I just paid a small co.pay, I was released the same day then too,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the more my time comes to leave here, the more anxious I am becoming.

Tomorrow someone will be measuring the house to prepare a plan, and next week a skip will be in the drive to remove all the outside rubbish. On another day a photographer will take some professional pics. I thought mine were good enough! Thus very soon the house will be advertised for sale.

I still have no idea where I shall settle again in England except that it will be in the south, so I can easily imagine myself at the age of 73 (after 51 years in Australia), arriving at Heathrow with a wheelie case and cabin bag, and wondering where to turn. Such a big move by myself is daunting to say the least.

So why am I doing it? I will answer with another question . . . why does anyone do it? Most people think I must be crazy to go through all of this, and very few say I should do what makes me happy. The truth be told, I am not happy here, but I am not happy moving away to have the problems of re-establishing my life in a colder and wetter climate.

I can give myself many good reasons for staying in Australia, and lesser good reasons for leaving, and as things stand, I feel as if I'm throwing myself onto a speeding roundabout and not knowing where I will be flung off, nor what damage will be caused.

Everyone on this forum provides informative and interesting comments, and although Pete is criticised for his seriousness and detailed information, he is an integral and valuable part of our BE community.

Last edited by aries; Jul 5th 2011 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sally Im afraid that comment from I like tea has really upset me, since I read it a couple of hours ago, Im not a bad person, Im really not, I was Just too young and not mature enough at the time to except my responsibilities,
there were five kids in the family, ---- only one was mine, which was my Son, the Daughter I talk about is not my real child, but one of my Sons Sisters, she has always stuck by me through out all these years and has always called me Dad, She was the oldest child in the family. The mother of all the kids sadly later died of cancer, we were not married,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Im afraid that comment from I like tea has really upset me, since I read it a couple of hours ago, Im not a bad person, Im really not, I was Just too young and not mature enough at the time to except my responsibilities,
there were five kids in the family, ---- only one was mine, which was my Son, the Daughter I talk about is not my real child, but one of my Sons Sisters, she has always stuck by me through out all these years and has always called me Dad, She was the oldest child in the family. The mother of all the kids sadly later died of cancer, we were not married,
Rodney, PLEASE do not let one person on an Internet forum have a bad affect on you or upset you (easier said than done).

NOBODY knows what each and any of us are going through, sure we come on here and tell stuff about our lives but NOBODY knows the whole story............

We have all of us made mistakes especially when we were younger, and none of us has to justify or explain anything to anybody on a bloody public forum for God's sake.

Take care, you are a good man......
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it be, Rodney. You have the right to feel upset, and to beat yourself up in private if you want to - but not on the Forum. It is NO ONE else's business what anyone of us has done in the past, I repeat NO ONE. So lay off those of you who feel to pick on anyone else. Like Cheers likes to say - 'walk a mile in my moccasins'.

Let's move on.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, PLEASE do not let one person on an Internet forum have a bad affect on you or upset you (easier said than done).

NOBODY knows what each and any of us are going through, sure we come on here and tell stuff about our lives but NOBODY knows the whole story............

We have all of us made mistakes especially when we were younger, and none of us has to justify or explain anything to anybody on a bloody public forum for God's sake.

Amen.

Here's the first stone -
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:39 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Beedubya

AMEN! It must be nice to be perfect but we lesser mortals have all done things we're not proud of, have all hurt people we love, and have all found ourselves in difficult and messy situations with no easy answers.

In my experience, those who judge others harshly do so only because they are unhappy themselves and want to spread some of it round. The rest of us are just muddling through our own lives and taking people as we find them. Rodney, I find you to be a kind, passionate, caring, interesting and funny man with a big heart. So there!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

A Rodney as you know we have drive in wedding chapels and drive in pharmacies so why not start a drive in hernia clinic. Just sayin'

Obviously I've never had a hernia right? I think you have to lift heavy weights and I've avoided that.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

AMEN! It must be nice to be perfect but we lesser mortals have all done things we're not proud of, have all hurt people we love, and have all found ourselves in difficult and messy situations with no easy answers.

In my experience, those who judge others harshly do so only because they are unhappy themselves and want to spread some of it round. The rest of us are just muddling through our own lives and taking people as we find them. Rodney, I find you to be a kind, passionate, caring, interesting and funny man with a big heart. So there!
Thanks Sally ---- you certainly have a way with words, all this makes such a lot of sense to me, and it describes each and everyone of us and our wonderful yet mystifying and often complicated journey through life.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 5th 2011 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Changing the subject: here are some photos I took recently on a walk around Frome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627122145144/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.