Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by rebs
Don - what do you mean by this? Do you pay less at the pump if you pay with your tesco credit card?
Yes, after you collect accrued ''rewards'' on your points card.... BUT. at the moment there is a price discount war going on here, amongst the big Supermarkets, who sell petrol. As much as 5p a litre. Will keep you posted. Unfortunately, after having some ''spare'' cash around, I last week filled the tank at Morrisons! Don
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes, after you collect accrued ''rewards'' on your points card.... BUT. at the moment there is a price discount war going on here, amongst the big Supermarkets, who sell petrol. As much as 5p a litre. Will keep you posted. Unfortunately, after having some ''spare'' cash around, I last week filled the tank at Morrisons! Don
do you have a link to the details on the tesco site? I'm struggling to find the specific details of lower petrol prices by using tesco rewards... I sometimes get the 5p off per litre of fuel discount coupon with my receipt when I grocery shop, but they are not doing that promotion in our area at the moment.

I'm already in the UK and we often use tesco petrol, so would be useful.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebs
I'm already in the UK and we often use tesco petrol, so would be useful.
To be honest, although I am accruing points, I shall have to resist going, as my last bill was OTT - due to my impulse buying nature. Having said that, if you register on their web site, they send very frequent updates, via email. That is how I got the info. Special offers, and discounts, are regular features. My Daughter, insists - ''Dad, you must buy for home delivery, and choose their BOGOF'S, to ensure good deals & a lower bill''. Don
Old Jun 29th 2011, 1:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Mum saves all her Tesco points till they do the double deal or something where you get a lot more for cashing in your points, then she goes clothes shopping at the massive Tesco next town over, I went with her last time and got some lovely things for me and Dd as well.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Before you come back to the UK beware of changes to the funding of care for the aged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/el...erly-care.html
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Mum saves all her Tesco points till they do the double deal or something where you get a lot more for cashing in your points, then she goes clothes shopping at the massive Tesco next town over, I went with her last time and got some lovely things for me and Dd as well.
All this talk of Tesco is making me post this: over here in the UK, Tesco is regarded as the Walmart of the grocery world. They move into town, and the independent stores go out of business. Here in Frome there is a big move to keep them out of town - we already have a Sainsbury's and a M&S food store, plus a ghastly Iceland. Sooo... before everyone gets all gung ho over Tesco points, they are - knowingly - undercutting everyone else. Every little bit DOES NOT help all the time. If you want any semblance of the England you know and love, don't let the big supermarkets move in and turn us into a poor relation of the US strip malls..

Public service announcement over for tonight
Old Jun 30th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Yes, charleygirl, I understand about your Mum, I was just in England visiting mine as well as other family, she is in good health, thank God, and only 78, but I so appreciate the time I am able to spend with her.

We have all spoken often on this forum about leaving adult children--which yours are, though only just!, which must make it harder. It is hard to contemplate and yet, as they get older and form their own lives, often far away if in a big country like USA or Australia, we see less and less of them anyway....

good luck...

Tina
....as most of us here did by moving abroad and leaving our families of origin. After almost 39 years I still smell the city that I love when I arrive and feel at "home" at home if you know what I mean )
Old Jun 30th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
All this talk of Tesco is making me post this: over here in the UK, Tesco is regarded as the Walmart of the grocery world. They move into town, and the independent stores go out of business. Here in Frome there is a big move to keep them out of town - we already have a Sainsbury's and a M&S food store, plus a ghastly Iceland. Sooo... before everyone gets all gung ho over Tesco points, they are - knowingly - undercutting everyone else. Every little bit DOES NOT help all the time. If you want any semblance of the England you know and love, don't let the big supermarkets move in and turn us into a poor relation of the US strip malls..

Public service announcement over for tonight
No one can stop them. Money talks and they will have there way and then after they get rid of the small guys they can proceed to gouge the public.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
No one can stop them. Money talks and they will have there way and then after they get rid of the small guys they can proceed to gouge the public.
You take too negative a stance, my man. Meet me on the Chit Chat site.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Before you come back to the UK beware of changes to the funding of care for the aged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/el...erly-care.html
Yes, at the age of 73 this is a worry for me, and my house will be on the market in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rodney,

For the lovely post about your reasons for being in the UK.
I didnt make the decision to move back to the US lightly, it built up over a couple of months, I found myself having anxiety attacks, crying myself to sleep etc. I didnt realize when I came over here just how much I was going to miss the US. I thought I would just move here and carry on my life in a new place no problem. For the first couple of months that happened, and then slowly I started to think more about my friends, my daughter..I would talk to them on the computer, and they would be telling me about what they were up to, and I would find myself feeling sad that I wasnt there.
I was lucky enough to get a job here, and worked with some very nice people, who obviously wanted to know all about Las Vegas when they found out that was where I came from, and the more I told them about it, the more I wanted to go back . Living with my parents was OK at first, but after a couple of months that got a little claustraphobic, and I was starting to resent feeling like a child again, not their fault, just a natural thing for parents to do that have had a 35 year gap in their childs life. The job I had would not allow me to afford my own place anytime soon, and better jobs are just not available here at the moment, so I began to feel trapped..and started to feel the life being sucked out of me. I know everyone talks about how wonderful TV is here, and there are some very good programs I admit, but I find it for the most part very amature, and repetative.
I dont have anything bad to say about the UK really..I just dont think living here is for me..I have met some lovely people, and I have enjoyed for the most part the time with my parents, but its time for me to go home....at least to the place I have lived longer than any other place in my life...Las Vegas..its not the most perfect place in the world, but its all I have known for the past 30 years...
England will always have a place in my heart....
Jackie..
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you Rodney,

.at least to the place I have lived longer than any other place in my life...Las Vegas..its not the most perfect place in the world, but its all I have known for the past 30 years...
Jackie..
I have lived most of my life in California and I have been away from it for 11 years and I don't miss it one bit. Don't mind a visit now and again.

As for staying in the UK or making a perminant move there I'll have to try it.

"Don't judge a person unless you've walked in their moccasins"

So welcome home Jackie, I knew you would miss me

When is the big day?

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you Rodney,

For the lovely post about your reasons for being in the UK.
I didnt make the decision to move back to the US lightly, it built up over a couple of months, I found myself having anxiety attacks, crying myself to sleep etc. I didnt realize when I came over here just how much I was going to miss the US. I thought I would just move here and carry on my life in a new place no problem. For the first couple of months that happened, and then slowly I started to think more about my friends, my daughter..I would talk to them on the computer, and they would be telling me about what they were up to, and I would find myself feeling sad that I wasnt there.
I was lucky enough to get a job here, and worked with some very nice people, who obviously wanted to know all about Las Vegas when they found out that was where I came from, and the more I told them about it, the more I wanted to go back . Living with my parents was OK at first, but after a couple of months that got a little claustraphobic, and I was starting to resent feeling like a child again, not their fault, just a natural thing for parents to do that have had a 35 year gap in their childs life. The job I had would not allow me to afford my own place anytime soon, and better jobs are just not available here at the moment, so I began to feel trapped..and started to feel the life being sucked out of me. I know everyone talks about how wonderful TV is here, and there are some very good programs I admit, but I find it for the most part very amature, and repetative.
I dont have anything bad to say about the UK really..I just dont think living here is for me..I have met some lovely people, and I have enjoyed for the most part the time with my parents, but its time for me to go home....at least to the place I have lived longer than any other place in my life...Las Vegas..its not the most perfect place in the world, but its all I have known for the past 30 years...
Jackie..
Are you back in Vegas already or still in the planning stages?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Are you back in Vegas already or still in the planning stages?

I think the answer is in the last paragraph. Jackie is in the UK.

.I just dont think living here is for me..I have met some lovely people, and I have enjoyed for the most part the time with my parents, but its time for me to go home.

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jackie notes:

I am sad about leaving my 29 year old daughter also, we dont see each other much anymore because of her work hours, and busy life,. I told her she will have somewhere to come on vacation now. Like...

I have lost everything in the past 3 months, and I worked hard for many years..there is no safety net here...you had better have a huge savings account, because if you get sick, even with...

Nov 21th 2010

I live in Summerlin too, at least for now. It is a nice area..lots of good restaurants etc. Short drive to Red rock national park.(staight up Charleston Blvd). A few good local Casinos if you...

Jackie, Like you, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Last edited by cheers; Jul 1st 2011 at 11:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.