Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well folks, just thought I would send an update.
I am moving back to Vegas in July..I must admit, I feel like a fish out of water here and I miss the US..I love this country, and my parents, but I find myself getting very depressed ..
I gave it a try, but I cant live here. I am going back to my old job, and place I lived, and hope to get health insurance through work again.
Anyway, I know this is not everyones experience, and I am honestly surprised that I feel this way, but I have for a few months now..I think I am more American than English now, and I want to go home.
Good luck to everyone else moving back..its not the country, its me..
Jackie.
I am so surprised...

But I can easily see how you might feel this way ...you have been very brave in admitting the UK is not for you.

Very good luck ,I hope you settle again in the US quickly.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I just watched two items on BBCTV news just now that were disturbing.

In another news clip I saw of a doctor storm into a hospital ward and throw a tanterum about a news crew who were filming Dave Cameron visiting a patient. The doctor was very rude and I think he should be repremanded for his outbust. I like to think if this had happen in the US he would be out of a job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13771099
That was no doctor - that was a consultant, a medical god - note the bow tie. The problem was about a sterile environment - in the US everyone would have been in gowns and papers slippers - here they had to remove 'outer clothing', such as ties and jackets. The argument was all over the news for a day or so, now nothing more.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
That was no doctor - that was a consultant, a medical god - note the bow tie. The problem was about a sterile environment - in the US everyone would have been in gowns and papers slippers - here they had to remove 'outer clothing', such as ties and jackets. The argument was all over the news for a day or so, now nothing more.
I wonder about that because he wasn't referred to as a doctor and they called him 'Mr'. There was more to this story than was on the clip. He had issues with the NHS and maybe he will be on the outside looking in now.
My take is that the PM and crew didn't just walk into a ward and start filming and that it had been arranged with the hospital ahead of time. WDIK?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving back to Vegas in July..I must admit, I feel like a fish out of water here and I miss the US..I love this country, and my parents, but I find myself getting very depressed ..
I gave it a try, but I cant live here. I am going back to my old job, and place I lived, and hope to get health insurance through work again.
Anyway, I know this is not everyones experience, and I am honestly surprised that I feel this way, but I have for a few months now..I think I am more American than English now, and I want to go home.
Jackie.
I'm honestly not surprised about this - I got the sense you weren't happy right from the beginning but I do think an international move takes a lot longer than a few months to get used to. I was miserable for 18 months after we left England but we had promised ourselves we would stay for 2 years and in the end, I'm glad we did.

Still, I truly hope this is the right decision for you and I hope you will be happy back in the US.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie.
Well stone the crows!

Good luck and this could happen to some of us. "Don't judge a person unless you have walked in their moccasins"

I think you said you had left some good friends in Las Vegas.

OK give us the details so we can track your flight. This is a first. Well maybe not because Bea went back and forth.

We will now have to say I'll be living in ________ until further notice.

I think I won't feel like a local when I move back. After living in the US for 56 years I'm more American than most Americans.

When you move back home (LAS) when will you make a visit back to the UK?

I get to watch British TV here and I realize that I'm not of that culture so it could take some time to adjust.

Hey you can move back to the UK again in the future. Nothing is written in stone and you are still part of our family.

Rambling with some of my thoughts.

Again, 'stone the crows'.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jackie, It is your life and you have to do what is best for you. I wish you all the best. If I ever go to Vegas which I'm planning to do in next 3 months or so maybe if you're back and even interested I can meet you for a cuppa. All the best.. Only you know what is best for you... Welcome back to the US of A..
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie, Good to hear from you and good for you for knowing your own mind. We are all bound to have our own individual experiences and need to make the decisions that are best for us.
I wish you all the best on your return to Vegas. At least you will feel more settled having given the move a try.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Thanks Rodney,
Yes, its great. the first couple of months where a little frustrating, but its all starting to come together finally. Glad you are doing well..
jackie
april
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I started last week..its only 24 hours, 4 days a week, but its an income for now, and as I dont need to pay rent just yet, it will do for now. I hope you find something Bee, I assume you are still waiting to hear about the job you where hoping to get from Australia?
Jackie.

I hope you don't mind me going through your postings?

you wrote:

I have to admit the biggest frustration since being back here is all the beaurocracy. They are still a bit in the dark ages..everything is "we will send you a letter" never we will give you a call or e-mail or even fax.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I applied, perhaps they would have turned me down! I am glad I got a job also, never been on benefits in my life, and was really glad I didnt have to get them. I got a job in a big department store in the warehouse..not my usual line of work, but its a job for now.
Good luck, I hope you get something soon..
Jackie
So how did this job go?

Our stories are very much the same, I moved back in January 11, and am living with 80 yr old parents. I love them, but feel like I have been cut off from the modern world, I crave people my own age to hang out with etc. I did just take a job in a store, mainly to get me out of the house and around other people, and to have a little income. I feel very isolated, and have an anxiety attack at least once a week, but I have to believe things will get better because moving back to the US is not really an option.????
Times change huh?

Hello everyone,

I am sorry I havent updated in a while, been busy trying to get organized here in good old Blighty.
I walked up to the Village shop this morning, about a mile and a half. It is a beautiful warm, sunny day. The daffodils and flowers are in bloom, and the fields are starting to turn green as the shoots peep through the ground. The lovely old Cottages in the Village are covered in color from all of the flowers in bloom. Our lovely village Pub is straight out of a picture book, and the landlord said Good morning to me as I walked by, he was varnishing the outside tables in the garden. All of these things are the reasons I have no regrets about moving back here after 34 years in the US. I do miss my friends in Vegas of course, but thanks to the internet I can still talk to them daily if I wish. The NHS has been wonderful, and I have had every test possible for a woman with my health issues in the past 2 months.
Tomorrow rain is forcast, but that is the wonderful thing about England, and gives us all something to talk about..the weather!!
Will be back soon.
Jackie..

Last edited by cheers; Jun 18th 2011 at 2:10 am.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well Jackie it's the curse of the Ex-pats. Dh and I ping ponged one time, we've stayed put for the kids education mostly.
Do you have assurance of your old job in Vegas? If so I suppose it would be like slotting right back in again.
But before you go, make you lists, pros and cons and pm and chat with Bee, she did the ping pong thing and seems happy back in UK again.
Also have you thought of a move to another part of UK, maybe doing what you did in Vegas if possible and in a more fun area, not living with your parents? cheaper than another international move.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie.
I feel so sad for you Jackie, I really do, all those hopes n dreams...

I know how it feels as I went back to the UK in 1989 and came back here 7 months later, ever since getting on that plane I've been wanting to go back, I regret returning more than I can say, I wished I had given it longer and tried harder, other circumstances came into play, failed job promises, living with in laws etc, I came back to my old job but it didnt feel the same...

I feel like I don't belong in either place either, its not just you...

I know we chat about all the great things in the Uk and all the things we would like to do, but when we went back we did very few of those things as we were trying to fit in and be normal Brits again, Id find myself bored at times, so I know it isnt so easy when the time comes, it all costs money, money we didn't have...

As you know I still want to do it again, its all I think about, of course my reasons for returning this time are different, more lonely, don't want to grow old here, plus I dont see how we can afford to stay here with rising costs of healthcare and no raise in 15 years to keep up...

I agree with Pauline's thought's about trying a few different things, I imagine your ticket is already booked.
I wish you the best.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your kind words. I am sorry it hasnt worked out for me here..but you just know when you dont belong. I feel disconnected, not a part of things here. It is a wonderful country to visit, but living here is not for me. I guess I am spoiled to the options in the US, food, entertainment, a life time of friendships, my daughter etc. My parents are here of course, but they are very understanding about this, and thought from the begining I was making a mistake moving here. I will be going back to my old job in Vegas, and my roommate still has my room waiting for me..so it will just be a matter of starting over again, but at least in familiar circumstances.
I know I may be taking a risk with my health, but if I stay I think the risk is the same only for different reasons. I will still be back to visit..
Good luck to everyone else moving back here. This is just my experience, its not the norm I am sure. the people here have been wonderful, its just not my home anymore, I guess I have been gone to long..
Jackie.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Hell cheers some Doctors over here in England dont speak much English either
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hell cheers some Doctors over here in England dont speak much English either
So why does the Border Agency use an 'Islamic Device' on their Cap Badges? The Eight Pointed Star is an Islamic fundamental.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-253498_1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.