Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Of course most people are not doing what they love to do. Wouldn't life be nice if we could all do that? I quite enjoy what I do and I make a decent living at it, but what I really love to do is paint, read, take classes and spend time with my friends. I'm not good enough at painting to make a living, and I haven't found anyone willing to pay me to read, take classes or hang out with my friends!

So you bet your ass I want to retire!

'
I'm with you on that one Sally - I don't want to wish my life away - but I am actually looking forward to retiring - although if I stay in the US, not sure if and when that will even happen - what with the changes to medicare and social security that are being talked about.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]
'
I'm with you on that one Sally - I don't want to wish my life away - but I am actually looking forward to retiring - although if I stay in the US, not sure if and when that will even happen - what with the changes to medicare and social security that are being talked about.
Hello Derry...

I had a year off work 15 years ago, to be honest I was very bored, its the same old thing, just like work only lazier, 15 years later and I'm not as energetic as I was and so maybe retirement would be OK, but let me warn you you need some kind of interest or hobby, maybe a few to keep away the boredom, I'm hoping to work till 70 or beyond unless a health problem gets me.

Lets hope those Medicare and Socal Security cuts dont happen or we all will be in the soup, I think there is a good chance it will happen.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Lets hope those Medicare and Socal Security cuts dont happen or we all will be in the soup, I think there is a good chance it will happen.
Lets hear none of that on here

As for retirement I love it! I didn't mind working but I made it what I wanted as much as I could.
Bored in retirement? Not me. I get involved in things and then I wonder where the day went?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney you never talk to me (just kidding)

Barb you don't answer your mail sometimes.

How come I can't pull up your photos from yesterday?

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hey Rodney, check these pics out if you are bored, they are not good photo's of Rosie's calibre but they are my very own happy snaps from yesterday. Oh and BTW other than my kids and grand-kids who I do miss there is not another thought of Australia entering my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwin...7626764470705/
Nothing wrong with them, girl! Very nice - thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Nothing wrong with them, girl! Very nice - thanks for sharing.
When I tried to look at them it said I needed permission to view???

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
When I tried to look at them it said I needed permission to view???

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.
Could be because I have a Flickr account - Barb may need to open them to the public - she may have them set to friends only.

Barb - can you check your Flickr account settings?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see Barbs pictures either.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....How was Sunday Dinner hope you enjoyed it. Made any progress on getting out and about. I am dog tired from working in the garden all day.

Beedubya....Glad to see you have cheered up just remember how sad you were in Australia. Things are going to get much better now you have a job and remember that Easterndawn changed her jobs quite a few times before she found what she wanted. Your taking little steps at a time once you get on that ladder it will be easier to get another job. Hope you enjoyed your day out.

Last edited by trottytrue; Jun 6th 2011 at 1:13 am. Reason: spelling.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Could be because I have a Flickr account - Barb may need to open them to the public - she may have them set to friends only.

Barb - can you check your Flickr account settings?
Thanks Rosie, I will got and check.

Cheers, I do answer emails but not always right away!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123....How was Sunday Dinner hope you enjoyed it. Made any progress on getting out and about. I am dog tired from working in the garden all day.

Beedubya....Glad to see you have cheered up just remember how sad you were in Australia. Things are going to get much better now you have a job and remember that Easterndawn changed her jobs quite a few times before she found what she wanted. Your taking little steps at a time once you get on that ladder it will be easier to get another job. Hope you enjoyed your day out.
Thanks TT I had a really nice day out on Saturday and I just noticed this morning that I got slightly sunburnt too!!

Hope things are going better for you........(edit) oops just seen on the other thread about the Lyme Disease, sorry to hear that and hope you will feel better real soon.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 6th 2011 at 6:25 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]
'

Well unlike some of you on here, I am nowhere near ready for retirement, I find being on my own all the time to be very boring, maybe I am boring myself LOL!!

I actually like the structure of getting up, getting ready and getting out to work, strange but true.......if I don't have this structure in place I become extremely lazy.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well unlike some of you on here, I am nowhere near ready for retirement, I find being on my own all the time to be very boring, maybe I am boring myself LOL!!

I actually like the structure of getting up, getting ready and getting out to work, strange but true.......if I don't have this structure in place I become extremely lazy.
I know what you mean about structure to your day. I am retired, but I have a plan for each day. I have developed a bit of a routine to my days, which involves so many hours of work, and so many hours of relaxation. Work for me is the garden, as it is huge; relaxation is spending time with friends, or reading, or watching TV, or walking. If I don't do this, I feel that I have wasted the day and have nothing to show for it. Pro: I do enjoy the fact that I don't have to get up at the same time each day, nor do I have to commute to a job, nor do I have to spend time doing something I don't want to do, or be with people I would rather not be with. Con: not much spare cash.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know what you mean about structure to your day. I am retired, but I have a plan for each day. I have developed a bit of a routine to my days, which involves so many hours of work, and so many hours of relaxation. Work for me is the garden, as it is huge; relaxation is spending time with friends, or reading, or watching TV, or walking. If I don't do this, I feel that I have wasted the day and have nothing to show for it. Pro: I do enjoy the fact that I don't have to get up at the same time each day, nor do I have to commute to a job, nor do I have to spend time doing something I don't want to do, or be with people I would rather not be with. Con: not much spare cash.
Good.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya....Thankyou but like I said having the bulls-eye does not mean you have the desease they just put that label on you and treat you for it. The blood test is a very hit or miss thing if they do it to early it does not show up.
The great thing about the UK is that everything is close at hand. You dont have to travel miles to get to places. There are wonderful places in the US I love Washington DC and all the museums but it costs a fortune and its also miles away from where we live. There's also Boston but trying to park is awful and trains from where I live are not the best service.
You dont have to be bored in the UK. Retirement is fine if you have lots to do not just sit around the house and die of boredom. You can be just a confined in the UK if you do not get out and about. But you have great opportunities to do things close at hand. Even London is just a train ride away.
I do think when I lived in the UK I did not appreciate what I had. Chester was full of History which was right in front of me it wasnt till I left that I realized it. Off course I was either working or taking care of three young children.

If and when I return I want to live close enough to town so that I can jump on a bus or train to get where I want to. I do not want to be isolated ever again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.