Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I wish - they are those horrid 80s cabinets with a kind of vinyl frontage and wood tops. I don't think we can paint that stuff without making it look even worse.

Thanks for the input on the bathroom. It seems everyone agrees on the windows, which is good to know. We may get those done this year if we can afford it and that might cut down the utility bills. I'm terrified of someone asking to see those!
There is a type of primer to use before you paint ,I think ?

I did something similar (it sounds like ?) back in the UK ~with nasty cabinets too
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I wish - they are those horrid 80s cabinets with a kind of vinyl frontage and wood tops. I don't think we can paint that stuff without making it look even worse.

Thanks for the input on the bathroom. It seems everyone agrees on the windows, which is good to know. We may get those done this year if we can afford it and that might cut down the utility bills. I'm terrified of someone asking to see those!
If the bench tops in the kitchen are OK, how about just replacing the doors?

Can you tell I have been watching 60 minute makeover.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbritgirl
Thanks for this link, I'll be staying with a friend in Sale but dont want to outstay my welcome. Following your flat hunt with interest.
I have about 15 boxes and as many bags outside in the rain, covered with a tarp waiting to be picked up by a charity shop today, hope they come!!!
Put cds, tapes and LP's (that we brought over in 89, forgot I had them!!) on Craigslist last night and someone has just bought them. Having a yard sale tomorrow so gradually things are going and I'll be on my way in less than 2 weeks.
Not long now!!!! It's amazing how much "stuff" you gather along the way, and how little of it you REALLY want and need........

Oh Sale has some MASSIVE Victorian houses, I wondered if that was where all the cotton merchants lived? It has a real nice leafy feel to it, but the road I was looking at seemed to be full of student's apartments and bedsits, so it could possibly get quite noisy at weekends with all their partying!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
If the bench tops in the kitchen are OK, how about just replacing the doors?

Can you tell I have been watching 60 minute makeover.
Yes Doors and drawer fronts can be replaced for an amazing makeover. If you have standard sizes that is.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes Doors and drawer fronts can be replaced for an amazing makeover. If you have standard sizes that is.
Who would you hire for someone like this? I've not come across any people doing this during my research but it sounds interesting.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Who would you hire for someone like this? I've not come across any people doing this during my research but it sounds interesting.
The 60 Minute Makeover team.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

And I'd be able to give that presenter lady a sandwich while she was here ;-)

I did some googling and I actually found a company that custom makes cabinet doors at really reasonable prices. Looks like we could get doors and drawer fronts for under $1,000. You just have to paint and fit them. Thanks for the tip Mummy in the Foothills!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

And I'd be able to give that presenter lady a sandwich while she was here ;-)

I did some googling and I actually found a company that custom makes cabinet doors at really reasonable prices. Looks like we could get doors and drawer fronts for under $1,000. You just have to paint and fit them. Thanks for the tip Mummy in the Foothills!
Hey that was MY idea LOL!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Excuse me? What on earth are you talking about? The moderators have been asked to moderate the forums to ensure that a) spammers don't take over; b) bad language is kept to a minimum a) the rules are kept to ensure that EVERYONE is happy; d) to attempt to keep threads on topic for the satisfaction of the vast majority - in other words, to ensure the smooth running of a massive discussion board. Moderators do NOT own the site. . The site used to be owned by Sue and Paul (Admin). They sold the site a few years back to IB who have nothing to do with the running of the site or the rules. Mods volunteer their time, to put back what they've got out in the past. We don't do it to irritate or annoy. What is this 'they'? I honestly don't understand.

I or any mod or Sue would be happy to have a conversation about what you perceive any problems to be via PM. I would hate for anyone to leave the site because of an imagined problem. That would be a shame in my book.
MoneyPenny, who is IB?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I have always made a trip to the Brit shop to buy Easter Eggs for my Grandchildren but last year my son annouced that he was keeping all the Brit Eggs as his children did not appreciate British Chocolate. This year I bought eggs from the Lindtt shop. The amount of gas it would take to drive to the British shop is just too expensive so it will have to wait till we make a trip down to my sons at the end of May.

Housewise the people that looked at the house a couple of days ago decided against it because the garden is too big. Someone else is coming on Monday. I am getting fed up.

Its been very cold and yesterday it was very windy. Today the sun is out but its still chilly and its suppose to rain tomorrown and most of next week.

I miss the Bluebells and Easter in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:27 pm
Finally Home!

Well then a big 'thank you' to you too
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

We will rent for a little while until we get settled, but the problem for me with long-term renting is nothing to do with money and everything to do with the lack of security and the inability to make your home your own.

What happens when you've lived in the house for a few years and you love it and then the landlord decides he wants to sell up? The idea of being forced to move is horrible. And I'd hate to never be able to knock down a wall, or change the flooring, or dig a new flower bed just because the house doesn't belong to me.

In other news, we're definitely going home!! We've had some long chats the last few days and we're shooting for putting the house up for sale in late summer/Fall next year, and moving the following Spring, whether or not it has sold. The plan is dependent on us being able to save up enough money by then to have a bit of a cushion. If we don't have it, we'll push the move back one year.

But I am going home!! Time to get planning

Wonderful news!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I love it.

What I was going to say was I'd call in a Realtor and ask what it would sell for without doing anything verses doing certain jobs, see what the local area buyers are being picky about.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I have always made a trip to the Brit shop to buy Easter Eggs for my Grandchildren but last year my son annouced that he was keeping all the Brit Eggs as his children did not appreciate British Chocolate. This year I bought eggs from the Lindtt shop. The amount of gas it would take to drive to the British shop is just too expensive so it will have to wait till we make a trip down to my sons at the end of May.

Housewise the people that looked at the house a couple of days ago decided against it because the garden is too big. Someone else is coming on Monday. I am getting fed up.

Its been very cold and yesterday it was very windy. Today the sun is out but its still chilly and its suppose to rain tomorrown and most of next week.

I miss the Bluebells and Easter in the UK.
I found Cadbury eggs (big ones with mini eggs inside) and Cabury chocolate bunnies in Wal Mart, I know it isn't the real imported stuff but for the price the kids and Dh will love it.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
A poster was asked to abide by the rules, nothing more, nothing less. We have Site Rules in place in order that the forum is kept as useful to everyone as possible. Compared to many other sites we don't actually have that many rules (although I'm sure some will disagree ). It's a shame that a member wants to leave over one post that was removed, but it was removed as per our site rule and if said person wants to leave that is their prerogative.

Just to add that we ask people not to get into discussion on the open forum for two reasons: One it derails threads and takes them waaayyyyy offff topic (as in the case here ) and two, because moderators are volunteers (and whilst we understand that not everyone agrees with site posting rules or having moderators help enforce those rules) out of courtesy of their time we ask that such discussions take place in private. I am always open to people's thoughts and opinions but I don't think it's fair of anyone to take their own personal gripe with something onto a public thread and drag everyone else into the discussion, when all they want to do is discuss the intricacies of moving back to the UK. So lets draw a line under this and if anyone wishes to continue this topic they are welcome to do so with me via Private Message. Thanks.

Sue in a very wet and soggy North Carolina today
Sue thanks for taking the time to explain, I knew absolutely nothing about Moderators until you and a few others explained, thank you
Rodney from a gloriously warm and sunny Pompey, I spent the afternoon at the beach today, there were hundreds of people sunbathing and even swimming, ----
Take care Sue,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.