Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

And as if the stars were beginning to align for us, I got a phone call from a local recruiter this morning about a Legal Secretary job here in Staines that I had applied for (but was not selected) last November. Apparently, the person who got the job didn't work out (I was told what the problem was) so they want to look at my CV again so maybe, just maybe, I'll get called in for an interview.

It's been raining a good bit lately but at least temperatures aren't quite as frigid as they have been. Rainy, overcast weather has never bothered me!

Just finishing off a cup of tea and slice of Christmas Cake. Life is good.
Thanks Denise for the update! I'm glad everything is going well for you both.
Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

Tony started his job today with Runnymede Council. He thinks he's going to like it; a total career change (from Web Developer to Planning Enforcement Officer!). It's less than 10 miles from where we live. It took him about 40 minutes to get to work this morning but only about 15 minutes to drive home after work. Go figure.

And as if the stars were beginning to align for us, I got a phone call from a local recruiter this morning about a Legal Secretary job here in Staines that I had applied for (but was not selected) last November. Apparently, the person who got the job didn't work out (I was told what the problem was) so they want to look at my CV again so maybe, just maybe, I'll get called in for an interview.
Denise, your posts are always super interesting. I was hoping you would post today on Tony's first day of work. I know that's a load off. It's also interesting to hear how an American is getting on in England, it gives a different slant on things. You are a fine example of someone who likes both countries, and has impeccable manners! Good for you and Tony. Fingers crossed for your job interview.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:18 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

Tony started his job today with Runnymede Council. He thinks he's going to like it; a total career change (from Web Developer to Planning Enforcement Officer!). It's less than 10 miles from where we live. It took him about 40 minutes to get to work this morning but only about 15 minutes to drive home after work. Go figure.

It's been raining a good bit lately but at least temperatures aren't quite as frigid as they have been. Rainy, overcast weather has never bothered me! I lived in the Aleutian Islands for 3 years ... some people had to actually leave the island because they couldn't tolerate the bleakness. Not me. I just considered it tea weather.

I'm going to my first panto on Sunday night!!! I've seen them on telly, but have never been to one in person. We're going to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Should be loads of fun, and I can't wait!!

Tony and I "gave" one another National Trust memberships for Christmas, and our cards, membership book, etc., arrived today. Really looking forward to putting this to good use throughout 2011.

I'm currently reading a delightful collection of stories called Icons of England. Apart from the subject matter , what I really like about this book is that each little essay is no more than 3 pages long. Here's Amazon's description:
This celebration of the English countryside does not only focus on the rolling green landscapes and magnificent monuments that set England apart from the rest of the world. Many of the contributors bring their own special touch, presenting a refreshingly eclectic variety of personal icons, from pub signs to seaside piers, from cattle grids to canal boats, and from village cricket to nimbies. First published as a lavish colour coffee table book, this new expanded paperback edition has double the original number of contributions from many celebrities including Bill Bryson, Michael Palin, Eric Clapton, Bryan Ferry, Sebastian Faulks, Kate Adie, Kevin Spacey, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, Richard Mabey , Simon Jenkins, John Sergeant, Benjamin Zephaniah, Joan Bakewell, Antony Beevor, Libby Purves, Jonathan Dimbleby, and many more. It can be purchased here: http://amzn.to/hvpOxX
Just finishing off a cup of tea and slice of Christmas Cake. Life is

good.
Good luck with the possible job interview Denise. Wishing you both well.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by quoll
Probably a bit later but you get some idea http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Webs...nceOfWalesRoad
And one on the front page here http://www.oldukphotos.com/norfolk_norwich.htm
And here http://www.francisfrith.com/norwich/...ad-1896_37362/ (lots more to scroll through)
Thank you so much! This is wonderful!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
stole this from another thread...love it..

IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
That's the first verse of Rupert Brooke's famous poem "The Soldier". It's about the Great War and was written about November - December 1914. I love his work.
Its lovely, brought a tear to my eye..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Its lovely, brought a tear to my eye..
Oh and I copied it, the spelling mistakes are not mine..lol
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I copied it, the spelling mistakes are not mine..lol
There aren't any spelling mistakes.

Here is a link to the whole poem
http://www.englishverse.com/poems/the_soldier
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by formula
There aren't any spelling mistakes.

Here is a link to the whole poem
http://www.englishverse.com/poems/the_soldier
Thank you, its a lovely poem..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I love the US but England is home. I have always said I don't want to die in US and poems like that remind me so.. would rather my remains become part of "England's green and pleasant land" than part of this wonderful but at times alien country.. don't mean to be morbid poem just made me think of that..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
I love the US but England is home. I have always said I don't want to die in US and poems like that remind me so.. would rather my remains become part of "England's green and pleasant land" than part of this wonderful but at times alien country.. don't mean to be morbid poem just made me think of that..
I agree, thats exactly how I felt, it is such a lovely poem, but very sad and lonely, and I dont want to end up like that..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks for the recommendation - it's available digitally so I downloaded the first few chapters onto my iPad to check it out (you can start reading for free and then only pay if you like the book). I already love the introduction by Bill Bryson where he's trying to understand the seaside.

Good luck with the job!
Hi Sally, Don't know how much you know about Wales, but, my favourite book, is a travelogue by George Burrow, and it is called Wild Wales. do have a look out for it - I am sure you will like it. my number one. Love dontheturner
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Sally, Don't know how much you know about Wales, but, my favourite book, is a travelogue by George Burrow, and it is called Wild Wales. do have a look out for it - I am sure you will like it. my number one. Love dontheturner
OMG I am watching that strange food show on TV,(travel channel) and they are in England...im getting really hungry....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:29 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
HighSpeedGrandma..What an interesting post I think in the end you will make your own mind up. You seem to have a good handle on how you feel. Like you said once you float it past your husband things might alter. I know mine would have a little fit whether he thought it was just a platonic friendship or not. But my has a jealous streak in him. After you tell you hubby then you can decide. I do have one question. The house you are thinking of moving into that belongs to your daughter. Is it in an area that you want to live and could you find a job in that location.

So step one tell hubby when you get back to the US step two if he says its OK and you feel fine with it then you have to decide on if thats the place you want to put down roots. Do you know when your daughter in Hong Kong is returning to the UK. Do you think she would rent it to you a little bit cheaper or do they have a morgage to cover. One point about hubby in the US how long is he thinking of staying in the US before he joins you in the UK or is he waiting for you to decide you dont want to live in the UK. God certainly made most men complicated when he put them together
Hi trotty.
To answer your questions (and thanks for asking, feel free to ask anything you like. I have nothing to hide).

The house that my daughter and her husband own is about 20 minutes away from my other daughters flat. It is in an area I know well and used to live close to.

The chances of me being able to get a job I would say are pretty good seeing as my daughter in England works at a large company, my daughter in Hong Kong worked at a bank in England in H.R and has a lot of contacts who can help put the word out if there is anything that comes up hopefully, and my S.I.L. in Hong Kong has a very good job with lots of contacts and he said I may use him as a reference. I have also made friends with some people that are recruiters here and have contacts in England and they have said they will help. So if I am unable find work it won't be for lack of networking.

Hey I have never been in this position before where I knew people that might point me in the right direction. My daughters were kids when I left England and everyone else was just starting out in their careers. Now some of them are doing well and have offered to help.

Another of my daughters friends actually sources and recruits people and she is very good with CVs and she has offered, well has already helped with making my CV more British appropriate.

My daughter who owns the house said she will rent it out to us at the absolute minimum, basically the amount to cover the mortgage. Neither my ex nor I can afford that on our own at this point. Hence his suggestion.

Hubby in the US (American) always knew my plan was to return to the UK and all along said he was on board with it. UNTIL I actually said the time was right (over five years ago) and began making plans and trying to involve him.

By his actions he showed that he was not interested in moving to the UK. So I pushed the point and said if he didn't want to come then I was going to do it alone.
Then my daughter and her hubby came to Hong Kong. They offered me the chance to come out and spend some time with them after being away for most of their lives. I quit my job and told hubby I was coming to HK for a few months.
I said we could split everything amicably and move on, because with or without him I was doing this. So he said go ahead and do what you need to do. He said he didn't want a divorce, and would be here if I need him. He said "I am going nowhere", meaning he was fine being in the house, paying the mortgage and plodding along. He said I will stay here till we HAVE equity in the house again, and then see how things are.

So in a nutshell. I don't think he will want to come to the UK. I don't know for 100% sure whether I will be totally happy in the UK, but I need to find out.
I am doing what I need to do to find out where I want to spend the rest of my life. I have spent the last 25 years of my life trying to please everyone else, one way or another. I just felt that life was passing me by and I was missing something.

So that is why I am where I am today.

In a nutshell! I am sure you don't want to spend sixteen hours reading the unabridged version.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Jan 7th 2011 at 3:13 am.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fulwood
Yes,this is how I feel .

At times I have been quite angry at my set-up here ,it is not America's fault though ,its my in-laws etc blah blah ...

I am going (from now on ) be more grateful to the US for my chapter here ,and look forward to going HOME when the time comes ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.