Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Question...

Can I use my US debit card in UK ATMs???
I was frightened of losing my card in the machine at Bank of scotland so went in and asked about it, and asked can they give it me back if It keeps it The manager came out and said yes so long as I had picture ID (I had my UK passport) so we went out and gave it a go, no problem it worked. I was charged something like 1% which pissed me off as my son (same bank) wasn't charged anything when he used his ATM card, so I asked them to refund it and they did.
Once you have a UK bank you can transfer all your money over using something like Xe.com and avoid all the fees.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Somersetgirl...Where you live does count maybe not when the children are young and still at home but when they are gone and you are older you have to really like were you live to be happy and being happy affects your OH. Even if you dont have children there comes a time when you want more from life than just a place to live. If you love where you live then I am all for staying. But what I am saying is if you are not happy don't wait too long things become much more complicated the older we get.
I love my husband but I find it very difficult living in an area I dont like just because he likes it. I know he would stay here forever if it was up to him but like I said to Sallysimmons there are two people in a marriage and compromise has to come on both sides. I figure I have been here for 30years so now its time for me to get what I want. May I say that that 30 years flew past.
total agreement from me, I've lived 25 years in US (with one year back in UK in the 90'S) Dh knows I want to live in UK, so he's had his 25 years and now it's my turn, it's only fair.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:07 am
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
It just occurred to me that this might be a good place to ask this question. Over the last few years I have been doing my family history - in fits and starts. Any idea where I can find a photo of what Prince of Wales Road in Norwich looked like around 1914? My dad was born there.
Google Francis Frith postcards...he has loads of "old" photographs made into postcards of various places around UK. I think I saw a link from around 1919 for parts of Norwich. Good Luck.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It just occurred to me that this might be a good place to ask this question. Over the last few years I have been doing my family history - in fits and starts. Any idea where I can find a photo of what Prince of Wales Road in Norwich looked like around 1914? My dad was born there.
Probably a bit later but you get some idea http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Webs...nceOfWalesRoad
And one on the front page here http://www.oldukphotos.com/norfolk_norwich.htm
And here http://www.francisfrith.com/norwich/...ad-1896_37362/ (lots more to scroll through)

Last edited by quoll; Jan 6th 2011 at 6:26 am.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Rosie, It is just like that on the thread, where that guy has a lousy job. They all need a smack in the mouth. Shall I go spring to the damsels distress, to defend your honour? I will go make some comment! love don
Thanks Don! I have found that the help I have received in public (other than the paid help at the Railway Station) has always been from women - always! Even down the stairs in the Tube - I have arthritis and when the tube escalators malfunction and you are left with a steep bank of stairs - with or without baggage (inserted to stop someone saying 'you take LUGGAGE on the tube too!!!' - No I don't) it is very obvious that I have a hard time. And a female has come over to offer assistance. Maybe it's the sexual harassment fear? Maybe it's everyone for himself. Whatever, I offer help to others, and as you give so you receive. The unpleasant people on the other thread will get back what they give out, one way or the other.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Wind- have a look here - lots of choices, you may find something useful.

http://www.thenorwichsociety.co.uk/html/links.html
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish n Chips 56..You've heard of the saying "if only". Well thats how I feel. If only we hadnt listend to that estate agent 3 years ago and gone with the price he estimated the house was worth and gone with one of the other agents who had a lower price this place could have been sold by now. But we were greedy and wanted the most for the place and look what that got us.
Trotty, I don't look at it as greed, but more like you were asking what you and others thought it was worth, I must admit its a beautiful home and looks worth every penny, its a weird market created by the truly Greedy, we just have to live with the consequences of their poor judgement and it hurts.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:52 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Ohhhh!!!! Thank you, Sally. This will be my entertainment this evening. I really miss our beloved trains!

By the way, my distant relative over there told me in an email recently that she pays 1/3 less in fare for a train ride than other people do - and she is an OAP. I thought OAPs rode on the trains there free of charge but I might be wrong.
Sorry, free passes for OAP's does not extend to UK trains.

However, there are a series of Discounts cards available for a fee.
Over 60's can buy a Seniors Card for 26 pounds annual (0r 65 pounds for 3 years) and this is what gets you 1/3 off the the regular fare)
There are similar cards for Students and for Family travel.
The card pays for itself in about 3 two-hour trips for me.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I miss our Rod. Is anyone getting emails from him privately?
Yeah me Scouse and I am not sharing them with you ha ha!!

Not really.......
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhh!!!! Thank you, Sally. This will be my entertainment this evening. I really miss our beloved trains!

By the way, my distant relative over there told me in an email recently that she pays 1/3 less in fare for a train ride than other people do - and she is an OAP. I thought OAPs rode on the trains there free of charge but I might be wrong.
Yes you are LOL!! Buses are free but not trains, I think JJ has explained that you have to pay for a senior pass to get a 1/3 off train fares.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Yes! I love to see them, being an avid taker myself Mine are all on facebook, if you have time to view them ( Don Meek) All your shots, are very good, and as I was stationed there when in the RAF, I do know Frome - from that time, but not more recently. Thank You love don
How many sleeps now for Don and Tim? I think I am about a week behind you and have done nothing!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How many sleeps now for Don and Tim? I think I am about a week behind you and have done nothing!!
Just 43. Would have been writing, but busy getting my three large suitcases packed and ready, Tim's things are all piled up on her cases, but not packed. - The internal flights are now also booked, so the paperwork is all to hand. Roll On. the house in Shropshire is empty - the tenants have left - so there are only odd items to take care of - Oh! and the 'line' phone is off, too. Love to you all, just sitting getting bored! dontheturner
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Just 43. Would have been writing, but busy getting my three large suitcases packed and ready, Tim's things are all piled up on her cases, but not packed. - The internal flights are now also booked, so the paperwork is all to hand. Roll On. the house in Shropshire is empty - the tenants have left - so there are only odd items to take care of - Oh! and the 'line' phone is off, too. Love to you all, just sitting getting bored! dontheturner
I have 50 sleeps left and yes you are right this waiting is sooooo boring LOL!! At this stage I have no idea if I am heading to Cheshire or Heathrow but whichever place it turns out to be it will be in the right country.

BRING IT ON!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have 50 sleeps left and yes you are right this waiting is sooooo boring LOL!! At this stage I have no idea if I am heading to Cheshire or Heathrow but whichever place it turns out to be it will be in the right country.

BRING IT ON!!
Hi Barb, Maybe you , or others should look at www.bainstravel.co.uk, as they will collect you from the correct terminal, be waving a sign board at the correct time, and will ship you by courier car to your destination, with out expensive charges. - you tell them the size of your luggages, and they are very reliable. Love dontheturner
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Somersetgirl...Where you live does count maybe not when the children are young and still at home but when they are gone and you are older you have to really like were you live to be happy and being happy affects your OH. Even if you dont have children there comes a time when you want more from life than just a place to live. If you love where you live then I am all for staying. But what I am saying is if you are not happy don't wait too long things become much more complicated the older we get.
I love my husband but I find it very difficult living in an area I dont like just because he likes it. I know he would stay here forever if it was up to him but like I said to Sallysimmons there are two people in a marriage and compromise has to come on both sides. I figure I have been here for 30years so now its time for me to get what I want. May I say that that 30 years flew past.
Trottytrue... wise words; you are right. For me, after I retired, my perspective changed a lot. When you are busy working full time, and trying to catch up on chores, shopping, laundry etc. on the evenings and weekends, time off is precious even if you don't do a lot of exciting things with it. When you have the time to enjoy it more, then being able to walk and drive to lovely places nearby is much more important, also being able to make really good friends, when you don't have family around you.

I am lucky because we both want more or less the same things, but I can imagine how difficult it must be for if this is not the case...as you say someone has to compromise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.