Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
I understand, Ldy. It just goes to show material things aren't really worth much after all All the things we gathered over the years didn't really bring us that much happiness.
Your health, and a roof over your head are the most important things..everything else is just icing on the cake..
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Your health, and a roof over your head are the most important things..everything else is just icing on the cake..
Absolutely - and having your loved ones/pets with you. That's all that counts.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Absolutely - and having your loved ones/pets with you. That's all that counts.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.

Off the subject!
Anyone else notice how slow the internet is today?

Cheers
Hi Cheers,
I think you can get travel health insurance when you leave the UK - friends did that and it's not expensive. Yes, I had noticed that the internet was slow and not connecting immediately a couple of days ago and a friend in Philly mentioned it too.......
What does it mean?!!
Going back to tea for a minute - I bought some Tetley 'British Blend' tea bags from the supermarket here (LA) - they were about $4 for 80. It's quite palatable, I think!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

I am just taking clothes and a few momentos, which is ironic really because most of them are things my parents have brought me over the years from England.... 34 yrs in 4 suitcases....
Hi Jackie,
Will you just pay for the excess baggage when you fly back, as Rodney did (he started with 4 then added another, I think)? And, are you moving out of an apartment - I can't remember your situation?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:38 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheers
Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.
Cheers
On subject of insurance, I just happened to be looking up travel insurance for holidays outside UK
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/ gives a lot of background info, and also you can get online quotes - the only thing they ask for about you is your age and gender !!
At the bottom of the contents list is mention of a Europe Health Insurance card that gets you access to whatever free 'national' insurance is available within a European country.

The UK Foreign Office offers advice on their website to travelers, here is what they say about the USA
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../united-states

Happy travels
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much excess Rodney had topay,I have been thinking about how much I can take with me(when I go) I have 22 years of marriage and 13 years of USA life, but I am thinking unless I get lucky and Trotty sells her house and I can put some stuff in her container I will be leaving most behind, but I think of my mum who lost everything she owned in a house fire 3 years ago, she has bounced back and also I look after elderly people in their own homes and recently one of my clients was moved from her 10 roomed farm house to a care facility.........she took just 5 boxes........the rest is going up for auction, so how sad is that......she has no one to leave it too......
And so if I have to start over so be it.

JJ so happy you had a lovely "connected" Christmas, we spent our 10th out of 13 alone, just the 5 of us......it really got to me this year, I skyped with my family in the UK......could her all the laughter in the back ground.....
DDL OMG those pasties look just great!
Jackie good luck with the packing, start sooner rather than later.

Windsong I know you are upset about the cat but everyone has different circumstances...I am sure this lady will find a good home for her.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Those pasties look amazing!

JJ, glad your Christmas was so lovely.

It seems that everyone uses pre-made Yorkshire puddings now in England, but I don't know ... For me, there are few greater cooking pleasures than watching my Yorkies rise perfectly through the oven glass. Mine were a triumph this year, even though I do say so myself

If it wasn't for our cats, I'd probably be making plans to go home next year. The Mister is really seeming more and more open to the idea, even to the point of reconnecting with some of his oldest friends and trying to contact some of his relatives. But we can't take the cats and so we can't go. I would be willing to put them through the move, provided they could get health certificates, but Mr Sallysimmons is deadset against that idea. He just thinks it will be too much trauma for them. And so we carry on ...
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I wonder how much excess Rodney had topay,I have been thinking about how much I can take with me(when I go) I have 22 years of marriage and 13 years of USA life, but I am thinking unless I get lucky and Trotty sells her house and I can put some stuff in her container I will be leaving most behind, but I think of my mum who lost everything she owned in a house fire 3 years ago, she has bounced back and also I look after elderly people in their own homes and recently one of my clients was moved from her 10 roomed farm house to a care facility.........she took just 5 boxes........the rest is going up for auction, so how sad is that......she has no one to leave it too......
And so if I have to start over so be it.

JJ so happy you had a lovely "connected" Christmas, we spent our 10th out of 13 alone, just the 5 of us......it really got to me this year, I skyped with my family in the UK......could her all the laughter in the back ground.....
DDL OMG those pasties look just great!
Jackie good luck with the packing, start sooner rather than later.

Windsong I know you are upset about the cat but everyone has different circumstances...I am sure this lady will find a good home for her.
BA is really good about excess luggage and if you buy it online ahead of time it costs a lot less than when you are at the airport, but they are all getting sticky about the weights, that was our thing when Ds flew, his cases met the weight (a few ounces over really) but weren't full in the least.

DDL those pasties look good. Ds was asking last night if I could makes some for him.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hi Jackie,
Will you just pay for the excess baggage when you fly back, as Rodney did (he started with 4 then added another, I think)? And, are you moving out of an apartment - I can't remember your situation?
I actually share a town house, and I am leaving my furniture for my roommate, dont really have much. I will pay for extra baggage online its cheaper. I think I will end up with 4 suitcases, 1 large and 3 medium. I just hope they have porters at Heathrow to help me, because I am not really supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds..OH well, I am sure I will be able to get help at baggage claim.
Jackie..
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie....You can get intouch with your airline and let them know your condition and they will give you all sorts of help. You might need a doctors note but its worth it instead of standing around waiting in longs lines. My brother does it when he does away and my sister in law loves it.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is-------------------

If you're moving soon to the UK --------------

The dollar is stronger against the pound. The highest its been for the last 3 months.

So if you could transfer your money today.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I actually share a town house, and I am leaving my furniture for my roommate, dont really have much. I will pay for extra baggage online its cheaper. I think I will end up with 4 suitcases, 1 large and 3 medium. I just hope they have porters at Heathrow to help me, because I am not really supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds..OH well, I am sure I will be able to get help at baggage claim.
Jackie..
Which airline are you flying with Jackie, if BA then great as they are the best for excess, well out of Australia anyway. The US, Canada and South America have different excess baggage rules to the rest of the world.

Trotty is right, you really should let the airline know of your medical condition. They have all kinds of help available, not long now!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Videografics is an unknown quantity at this point

Provisionally moving to Cornwall.

Why? Because it's quiet and I need a bit of time to "calm down" from the time in the Fatherland.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Which airline are you flying with Jackie, if BA then great as they are the best for excess, well out of Australia anyway. The US, Canada and South America have different excess baggage rules to the rest of the world.

Trotty is right, you really should let the airline know of your medical condition. They have all kinds of help available, not long now!!
Yes, I am flying BA. Three extra suitcases is $272.00 if I do it online, but I guess when you consider shipping it, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Jackie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.