Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Question...

Can I use my US debit card in UK ATMs???
Yes, I have used my Canadian debit card to draw money in the UK, (and in quite a few other countries) countless times without a problem.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Question...

Can I use my US debit card in UK ATMs???
Some cases yes but don't depend on it. The cards in the UK have a chip in them.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's weird though, I know Jerry Springer features all these inbreds, but when I lived in the US, it never used to freak me out because I knew that they lived out in the middle of nowhere in their trailers.

Now I live in the UK, the problem with programmes like Jeremy Kyle is that people like that live down the street from me.
Dunroving - isn't that because Jeremy seems to attract them? - He used to put words in people's mouths. And of the many areas in Shropshire I have lived, cannot say i met folks like that, as neighbours myself. Perhaps he used to work for the Daily Mail! regards Dontheturner
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Has anyone heard from Celticspirit lately...Hope she is OK?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
No, she said she wasnt going to post for a while because she felt people where un sypathetic to her here.,,
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

No, she said she wasnt going to post for a while because she felt people where un sypathetic to her here.,,
Oh thats a shame, I knew she was going through a bad patch...that's sad. I hope she comes back to chat. We are a good bunch

Jackie by now you must be totally beside yourself? I try to see myself in your shoes and try to imagine myself with literally days left - well actually, I can..... I have about 730 left (if we want to get technical)...
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Somersetgirl, I like the list idea and I'm glad someone understands my situation. It feels nice to have someone say 'yes, I get it. I'm the same.'

Windsong, I know nothing about Norwich, but my family history search took me to York where my dad's family lived. There is an official York archives and we were able to get photos of the streets where the different family members lived. Maybe Norwich has a similar archive.

Have you googled?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons...Thanks for the explantion you seem to have things well in hand. I hope it all works out for you. I dont know what sort of business you have but that must be difficult. My husband and I always get together on ideas but somehow his always seem to float to the top he's better at saying what he means than I am. I tend to give in and go with the flow.
I think there will come a time when you will know whats the right thing to do. I am not sure that New Hampshire and Maine are what you want but then it depends. If you like isolation and lots of cold weather you will like it. You may like Rhode Island. Newport, Portsmouth and Middletown are all towns on Aquidneck Island. That is a very pretty area.

Fish n Chips 56..You've heard of the saying "if only". Well thats how I feel. If only we hadnt listend to that estate agent 3 years ago and gone with the price he estimated the house was worth and gone with one of the other agents who had a lower price this place could have been sold by now. But we were greedy and wanted the most for the place and look what that got us. The post might not have fitted Sallysimmons but there may be someone else who is dithering and wondering what to do and if anything I post helps them then I am happy. I think looking back I would not have done anything to the house just sold it as is. We spent around $10,000 before we put the house up for sale. But I dont think it made any difference to those who looked at it. Cheaper would have sold it quicker. Now we have to revalue it in March, lets hope we do it right this time. We are leaving it as it is over the winter.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Steady on Gab! I am that young 80 year gentleman! dontheturner
I agree Don ,you sound very spritely
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I miss our Rod. Is anyone getting emails from him privately?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thats a shame, I knew she was going through a bad patch...that's sad. I hope she comes back to chat. We are a good bunch

Jackie by now you must be totally beside yourself? I try to see myself in your shoes and try to imagine myself with literally days left - well actually, I can..... I have about 730 left (if we want to get technical)...
I am getting very excited, I just have the hurdle of my Cat scan to get over, once I get the results from that.(praying they are clear) I will really be excited. I have my suitcases packed, and have a total of 4 things I can wear for the next 3 weeks..lol
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Somersetgirl...Where you live does count maybe not when the children are young and still at home but when they are gone and you are older you have to really like were you live to be happy and being happy affects your OH. Even if you dont have children there comes a time when you want more from life than just a place to live. If you love where you live then I am all for staying. But what I am saying is if you are not happy don't wait too long things become much more complicated the older we get.
I love my husband but I find it very difficult living in an area I dont like just because he likes it. I know he would stay here forever if it was up to him but like I said to Sallysimmons there are two people in a marriage and compromise has to come on both sides. I figure I have been here for 30years so now its time for me to get what I want. May I say that that 30 years flew past.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Somersetgirl, I like the list idea and I'm glad someone understands my situation. It feels nice to have someone say 'yes, I get it. I'm the same.'

Windsong, I know nothing about Norwich, but my family history search took me to York where my dad's family lived. There is an official York archives and we were able to get photos of the streets where the different family members lived. Maybe Norwich has a similar archive.

Have you googled?
Sally, I did come across a general archive but not particularly of Norwich. I need to look further, though. Good idea.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I sent her a couple of personal messages but haven't had any response. I also tried to send her an email, but for some reason, it didn't go through. I have been thinking about her too - hoping she is okay. Maybe if she comes on here to read the posts, we'll hear from her eventually. Celtic Spirit, if you're out there "lurking" let us know how you're doing.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I miss our Rod. Is anyone getting emails from him privately?
Yes - I was wondering where Rodney is too and why he hasn't posted. I know that his sister was very ill, so maybe that is why. Hope he's doing okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.