Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/

Mission unknown
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheers
I did Poole last night.
Cheers, and how did Poole shape up for you and where is Poole located? I must have a Poole walk-about, courtesy of Rightmove! Yesterday I downloaded the Desktop version of Rightmove..I like it!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Geraldine Ferraro, who in 1984 became the first woman vice presidential candidate on a major U.S. party ticket, died Saturday in Boston, a family spokeswoman said.

Quote from MNSBC news
Poor thing..I really liked her, she died after a long battle with blood cancer.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really upset as I look at the news online and the violent criminals vandalizing London.
Violence bothers me.
Maybe it shouldn't.
I was watching a story of General Electric who made $3 billion profit last year and paid no taxes. I am outraged but we are a peaceful nation and have the attitude, well thats the way things are. What can we do?
I hate Violence too, HATE IT !...

G.E. Yesterday I heard they not only didnt pay taxes but got a refund of around $10 Million...
Ahhhhhhhhh What a system.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Maybe you're just taking it too much to heart
"I just don't understand why you all insist of having to constantly take little pops at the United States.

What's the point, what's the purpose? Probably we wouldn't be on this forum if we were happy campers about being in US.

I participate on this particular forum to share the GOOD things about YOUR country. I wouldn't even consider digging up some cheeky quote about England or the UK. UK EXpat forum not US expat forum

It's just not a very nice thing to do, especially when you KNOW there is an American (and people here who are married to Americans or have American children/grandchildren.) This is OUR forum UK not US expat forum

And I'm not being over-sensitive. This is a regular occurrence here and and in my opinion does not add anything constructive to the purpose of this thread. Which is

I've said it before, you people need to start your own Bash America thread. OTH maybe wrong forum for u
I totally agree with what you have said here, Aviva.

In fact, if the shoe was on the other foot - if someone said they didn't like digs at the UK, I would merely say, "So be it". If you don't want to live there, don't." No skin of my nose!

As you said, this is a UK expats forum.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
As for the arguing, well honestly people we are a very diverse bunch in outlooks, life experience and age. So if someone posts something you don't like, do what I do, skip over it, ignore it, get over it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, like it or not.
Amen.

In other news, my husband just found his UK driving license! I've been going through boxes of paperwork preparing to take stuff to the mobile shredder when it comes to our town next week. I've found nothing useful - then he puts his hand into a box and finds his UK license, which doesn't expire until 2032!! Sadly we haven't found mine yet. I really hope I didn't throw it away. I know I can get it replaced but it would be just one less headache.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Including bitching and complaining about our own country. Whingeing is a national pastime for Brits. We don't just reserve our whingeing for the US.
Too true, Dunroving
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
But Aviva, it was a bit rude to say "Maybe wrong forum for you"--I think this is what Eastern Dawn was objecting to, as I did earlier.

However, you did say "never mind" later, which I would like to hope was an apology of sorts....

This is the "right forum" for any returning UK expat, would-be returning UK expat, spouses of returning UK expats, especially (but not restricted to) those in 50s and 60s!

But that said, we should just try and be polite and thoughtful, as in any conversation with friends....

Tina
I don't think it was rude at all. It was an honest, straightforward response.

Often there is too much of the pettiness, hurt feelings by U.S. people if we say we don't like something about their country. It's ridiculous. They are supposed to be mature.

To be honest, this sort of pettiness is one thing that irks me about certain U.S. people. I see people making mountains out of molehills almost every day - not just here but life in general in the USA. While I think everyone does it occasionally, it is to an extreme here. Perhaps it is a sign of the "gimme" society, I don't know. It reminds me of a spoiled child.

I have a couple of people on ignore here because one sent me a personal message just the other day - very rude. I read it, read it again and had a jolly good laugh. As funny as it was, it was rather pathetic. Oh, yes, it was from one of the Americans here!

You notice I don't come here and whine and complain about them; I take action - ignore. No big deal.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 26th 2011 at 10:14 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Amen.

In other news, my husband just found his UK driving license! I've been going through boxes of paperwork preparing to take stuff to the mobile shredder when it comes to our town next week. I've found nothing useful - then he puts his hand into a box and finds his UK license, which doesn't expire until 2032!! Sadly we haven't found mine yet. I really hope I didn't throw it away. I know I can get it replaced but it would be just one less headache.
Glad he found it before it went to the shredder!! Hope you find yours too. I still have the old pink paper one (no photo). Lasts until I'm 70!!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

And black! And why does everyone have the same prints of huge flowers close up?
Talking about huge flowers, that reminds me of a show I watched the other day on one of the iPlayers - BBC, I think. It was about doing a whole house makeover in 60 minutes. Of course, they had a very large team of people doing it. Well, anyway, I only watched one show but some of the decor was awful - big flowers with shiny surface for wallpaper in the bedroom. Unbelievable! Maybe in the 60s but not now - and an interior designer called the shots! Perhaps it's the style over there now but it certainly isn't my "cup of tea"
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Mummy in the foothills;9265973

As for the arguing, well honestly people we are a very diverse bunch in outlooks, life experience and age. So if someone posts something you don't like, do what I do, skip over it, ignore it, get over it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, like it or not.[/QUOTE]

Excellent!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:37 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally DDL you have made negative remarks about experiences you have had in the UK and I don't take offense in fact some of them I find very helpful.

Wrong: I have made remarks about negative things. What I don't do is go randomly digging up sarky comments about YOUR country and dropping them in this thread.

I'm glad you like cows, Cheers. I spent all last night here at the B&B listening to them mooooooooo.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone have any news about Don (Don the turner)? Unless I have missed it, I haven't seen a single post since he's been in the UK. I hope all is well.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:53 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aviva
Maybe you're just taking it too much to heart
"I just don't understand why you all insist of having to constantly take little pops at the United States."
As you would if I were to make sarky comments about the UK. But if one of your own makes sarky comments about the UK, of course it would not offend you in the least. It depends on the source.

Probably we wouldn't be on this forum if we were happy campers about being in US.
This thread (not forum - they are 2 different things)
was started for another reason altogether and it has nothing to do with being a sounding board for your unhappiness with the US.

UK EXpat forum not US expat forum
This is OUR forum UK not US expat forum

If you don't want Americans here, somebody please tell me.

And the only reason I haven't responded to your comments before now is because I've been gone all day.

With attitudes and remarks like those made here by many of you, it's no wonder
that some of you have said you've never made friends in America!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Amen.

So glad he found it, Sally. I had mine renewed in the early 90s. I don't know how long they last before renewal. I better check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.