Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123...Hope all is going well for you and your mum

Windsong......The stars in New Hampshire are the brightest when its not snowing

Sallysimmons....Yes I feel exactly the same way some days it worse than others but as HSG said we have to also think of those things we have gained from being away. Not sure I always think that way but I know I do think of the big world out there unlike many people both at home and here in the US. I think thats what travel does for you. There are so many roads I could have walked but in the end I choose this one so I have to get on with it and take the good with the bad. I am sure some days that young man of yours wishes he might have done things very differently.

Cheers....You would fit right back in once you had settled and go into a routine it would all come back to you.
I know it sounds silly, but I miss the stars and the clear nights in the UK. I have not visited New Hampshire but I just might have to go if only to see those stars
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Clearing out my old files and photos has been bringing back so many memories and making me consider so many things.

I came across letters from my first real boyfriend and decided to see if I could find him now. It wasn't hard - he's still in the same village! Once upon a time I would have looked down on that - and it's actually the reason we split up. I wanted to be off experiencing new things and he was a real homebody with very little desire to explore the world.

Now I find myself envying him. I know that when he walks down the street, most people will nod and say 'hi', or stop to talk. Anytime he goes into the pub, he will be welcomed by people who know his history. He'll share long-standing jokes and when he loses a family member, people will grieve with him. His whole family lives nearby and their lives are woven into the fabric of that little village.

I pulled the thread and freed myself, and as a result I saw and did things he will never do. But I bet he doesn't envy me the way I envy him. I used to think I had life all figured out. Now all these years later, I think he was the one who had it all worked out.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Sally, I have been doing something very similar. I, too, tried to find an old boyfriend over there who, like your old boyfriend, would never think of traveling half way across the world to build a new life. I envy him. I also envy my girlfriends over there, the ones I went to college with. They are lucky they got to spend their lives in the UK. I wish my mother had been as wise when she made the decision to leave. My mother died 10 years ago but in recent months I have been cursing her. I know I shouldn't but I said all these things to her face when she was alive.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Sally, I have been doing something very similar. I, too, tried to find an old boyfriend over there who, like your old boyfriend, would never think of traveling half way across the world to build a new life. I envy him. I also envy my girlfriends over there, the ones I went to college with. They are lucky they got to spend their lives in the UK. I wish my mother had been as wise when she made the decision to leave. My mother died 10 years ago but in recent months I have been cursing her. I know I shouldn't but I said all these things to her face when she was alive.
Not to preach but something about 'honoring they mother and thy father'.
Just saying.

As I get older the more I admire my father and mother.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on the list sent this privately.

Why I'm Depressed

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel , "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, and everything...

I called a Suicide Hotline. I had to press 1 for English.

I was connected to a call center...in Pakistan . I told them I was suicidal. They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Some one steered us to Plymouth so I looked on Rightmove and I started with $800 on down and didn't see anything I liked so maybe I need to go $800 and up and that would be the end of it. Out of my budget.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Why I'm Depressed

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel , "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, and everything...

I was connected to a call center...in Pakistan . I told them I was suicidal. They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

Cheers - that is so funny!!!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying.

We all make mistakes - there is no such thing as the perfect parents. My mother and father made mistakes - and I too made many raising my children. We all try to do the best that we can - some of us have harder lives than others. My parents have been gone quite a while now. I still miss them.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I had the best parents and I'm sad that I just upped and left them without a second thought. Youth!

I miss my dad every day and I want to get back home soon so that I can spend some quality time with my mum.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Some one steered us to Plymouth so I looked on Rightmove and I started with $800 on down and didn't see anything I liked so maybe I need to go $800 and up and that would be the end of it. Out of my budget.
Mummy made an oops and typed Plymouth, rather than Portsmouth (as she explained earlier today to me). Last night I went on the Plymouth route and this morning I went back again. I think I find the whole of South England, on the high side. As much as I would really like to give it a shot over there..well I guess I am just spoiled in America, as far as housing goes. I sincerely doubt that I can do a bed-sit, a house-share or a studio and those rents aren't cheap even for that! It's not that I live on the high-side here in the states...still I know I pay cheaper for my place, in a pretty OK location. Now...if I were to win the lottery...Good God Almighty...I definitely would buy a place in England and then fly back and forth. I would love to have the best of both worlds...one can dream, can't one? But the Lord willing and the creek don't rise..am going to pay a visit next year and check it out in person!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
I think I find the whole of South England, on the high side.
Luckily, the north is better!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Just saying.

Well I can only speak to my mother, she passed away in 1998. As a child and into my adulthood, right up to before she died ...she always spoke of England, with the best of words and memories. Her childhood, my grandparents, her sibs, the war years living in Croydon, etc. As an older woman myself now..I truly look upon my mother and my grandmother (my grandad died right at the beginning of the war)...as strong, courageous women, which I deeply admire. I could never imagine living amongst bombs dropping all about me or during a black-out making my way to a dance....O! could my mom dance! And she had a voice like an opera singer! My mom forever missed her England, always. Her heart was never here in America and I think the only reason she stayed was because 5 of her 6 children and 12 grandchildren were here in the states. Now at my age, I feel deeply sorry for my mom, that she was so torn between love of her country and the love of her children and grands.
This may sound a bit creepy, but have often thought..if ever I were to come into money..I would have my mom exhumed and have her sent back to England..to be buried next to her Mom and Dad..the place where her heart stayed. I believe that would make her happy and at peace...finally.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Why I'm Depressed

Cheers, thanks for the chuckle!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chriswinter
.I would have my mom exhumed and have her sent back to England..to be buried next to her Mom and Dad..the place where her heart stayed. I believe that would make her happy and at peace...finally.
I don't think that is creepy and I think it is a nice thought.
If you did that, where would you want to be buried?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Why I'm Depressed

Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Luckily, the north is better!
Yey! But I don't think she will go farther north than Hereford?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.