Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:36 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm all for helping people who are truly in need, so please don't take this the wrong way, but the government didn't give them the money to buy a car .... me and my family - and you and your family - who live and work here in the UK gave them the money to buy that car!!!
See I don't look at it this way at all. My SIL has worked her whole life and paid into the system her whole life - over 30 years. Her husband has paid into the system for the same amount of time. Now unfortunately, she has been struck down with a grave illness. The allowance she's getting to help her buy a car is simply her getting back what she paid in for all those years. It isn't your money, it's hers and her husband's. And if she's also getting a little bit of what luckier people paid in but don't need, well, I think that's how society is supposed to work.

DDL, when you moved to the UK, your husband was able to claim job seekers allowance even though he had been away a long time. No one asked him to justify himself. No one said 'no I'm sorry you haven't been here long enough." I suppose my mum paid for that over the 50 years of her work life and some people might resent that, but I think it's fabulous that you got that benefit. Tony had paid in previously and he was entitled to help when he needed it.

I suppose strictly speaking the government doesn't give my SIL or your husband the money, but the government states that 'this is how our society is going to run' and that's the type of government I personally prefer to live under. It took living here before I realized that. I don't actually plan to ever claim a penny from the government (and never have) but I like to know that the security is there if I need it. And more importantly that it's there for people less fortunate than me.

Btw - tonight my husband was telling me about some Manchester couple who have taken a pork pie on holiday every year for 40 years (don't ask). We were laughing about it and he said "and that's the place we want to move back to!" We! We! I am going to sleep smiling tonight

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 20th 2011 at 1:46 am.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
It's Saturday night as I type this and we've had a lovely day. It was beautiful - sunny and dry!

We got up early this morning and drove to Westfield, a huge mall in Shepherd's Bush. I absolutely hate clothes shopping - but I need new clothes as I've lost (and am still losing) a good bit of weight since moving back to England and my clothes are beginning to look baggy!

Anyway, it's a beautiful mall, we got there nice and early, and I picked up several pieces of clothing from the really nice M&S there.

Tony (a man who LOVES shopping, has the wardrobe of a King, and NEVER pays full price for ANYTHING) got a beautiful Jeff Banks herringbone wool winter coat for next year. Cost: £125...but he got it on sale for £36.50!!!!!!!! He wears Big & Tall and he's ALWAYS finding bargains like that. Really ticks me off.

We only spent a couple of hours at the mall, then headed over to East Sheen to visit Tony's son, daughter-in-law, and grandson. Had a great visit. Chatted over cups of tea, walked to the local park, browsed along the High Street, then wandered back home through an area of beautiful mews cottages.

After that, we did our weekly Tesco shop (yawn) - then came home and watched Ireland beat the **** out of England at the Rugby. (But England has still won Six Nations, overall, on points.)

Tomorrow - another great weather forecast - I'm going to try and talk him into us going down to Polesdon Lacey: http://bit.ly/36tZhO

And next week-end, we're down in Devon for 3 days (we're both taking Monday off work) to visit Castle Drogo and A la Ronde. We expect to have a newborn grandchild (in Plymouth) by then, so we'll probably also pop by there for a visit.

We have two 4-day bank holiday week-ends in April and are trying to decide where to go/what to do. We also have tickets in April to this and this

And that's just us getting started. So much to see and do ... exactly what we came back for!
Thanks so much for posting this. Your posts are so positive and inspirational, just the antidote I need for all those saying "why are you moving back to England, are you nuts??" They just don't get it...
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheers
I very much liked this one. Look at the street view. Will anyone split the rent with me.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29034661.html
How absolutely lovely! Thanks for the link..something else for me to daydream about......when I win the Lottery!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
See I don't look at it this way at all. My SIL has worked her whole life and paid into the system her whole life - over 30 years. Her husband has paid into the system for the same amount of time. Now unfortunately, she has been struck down with a grave illness. The allowance she's getting to help her buy a car is simply her getting back what she paid in for all those years. It isn't your money, it's hers and her husband's. And if she's also getting a little bit of what luckier people paid in but don't need, well, I think that's how society is supposed to work.

DDL, when you moved to the UK, your husband was able to claim job seekers allowance even though he had been away a long time. No one asked him to justify himself. No one said 'no I'm sorry you haven't been here long enough." I suppose my mum paid for that over the 50 years of her work life and some people might resent that, but I think it's fabulous that you got that benefit. Tony had paid in previously and he was entitled to help when he needed it.

I suppose strictly speaking the government doesn't give my SIL or your husband the money, but the government states that 'this is how our society is going to run' and that's the type of government I personally prefer to live under. It took living here before I realized that. I don't actually plan to ever claim a penny from the government (and never have) but I like to know that the security is there if I need it. And more importantly that it's there for people less fortunate than me.

Btw - tonight my husband was telling me about some Manchester couple who have taken a pork pie on holiday every year for 40 years (don't ask). We were laughing about it and he said "and that's the place we want to move back to!" We! We! I am going to sleep smiling tonight
That was so well said. My sentiments exactly.
Sweet Dreams... it certainly sounds as if hubby is with you on the move.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I'm not although my dad's family according to the censuses didn't even speak English.

I tried to teach myself and my sister went to college to try to learn as she wanted to live and work in sheltered housing in Wales and this was a requirement, we somehow thought it would be in our DNA.............NOT as it turns out LOL!!
I am surprised you don't speak it as your written English is very good.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I definitely put it down to being more active, not necessarily the car thing. We lived in South Carolina where it was just so hot and humid most of the year you just didn't go out and about at all. We do much more walking over here.

But I also put it down to the food, as well. We seem to be eating less at home. Maybe once we get our own place and I start actually cooking/baking again, it will change, but for now, we eat quick, easy stuff - soup, salads, frozen entrees that are smaller portions.

Seven years ago, when I first married Tony and moved over here for 18 months, the same thing happened: I lost loads of weight. (Weight that needed to be lost!)

I feel very healthy now, much healthier than I felt back in Charleston.

But of course, I've lost my perpetual tan.

Good grief, girl, give yourself time. You've just got back! All the emotions, etc., not to mention the physical aspect of the move. How long can you realistically hold out before you absolutely have to start back to work? If you can, I'd try to give yourself a few more weeks (2-3) of down time. You've been through a lot. Give you mind and your body time to adjust.

I can't speak for Liverpool (never been there), but I love Manchester. (Just sent you a PM.)

ha ha I know what you mean. I could spend hours on that website as well! But you've got such a great advantage ... you can really go anywhere you want. How many people in this world would want to be in your shoes, eh?!

You've got a blank canvas in front of you, a brand new set of paints, and I for one can't WAIT to see the beautiful portrait of your NEW LIFE that you are about to start painting!
Thanks so much for your exhilirating post!! Never thought about my blank canvas and paints before!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Oh I know that Rightmove addiction very well. I do not know whree the heck I am going so am leaning toward temporary rental while I look around "on the ground". My personal feeling is that intuition plays a great part in this and when you find the right place you know. This combined with left-brain; making a list of the things that are important to you in a home, an area, reachable areas, etc.
Yes gut feeling/intuituion will play a very large part in where I end up. I know the jobs I interviewed for the other day are not for me as it will mean me living around these here parts.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:37 am
Home Sweet Home

I will say in DDL's defence I DO UNDERSTAND where she is coming from. There are LOTS here who are working the system, I never really noticed it on my many holidays here over the years, it wasn't until I lived here for a year and now........

I was waiting for my sister outside Asda on my last trip home and I cannot begin to tell you the number of "disabled" people with walking sticks, sitting on mobile scooters, of course some are genuine and in need of government help but many are not. This is a fact hence my Manchester friend being paid money to get them off the pension and back into the workplace.

Of course we don't mean people like your SIL or my uncle's wife, these are genuine cases, many are not, I know this for a fact as one of my family members is one of them.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 20th 2011 at 12:01 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
There are LOTS here who are working the system, I never really noticed it on my many holidays here over the years, it wasn't until I lived here for a year and now........
I just don't care though. I think that's just the downside of a caring society - some people will take advantage. You can fret and be annoyed, but it doesn't change anything and just raises your blood pressure

You have said yourself how safe the safety net makes you feel and you can't have that feeling without also having the scroungers IMHO.

The other thing about those people is how sad and confined their lives are. They are limited always by their need to scrounge. I don't look at them and see people living the life of Riley. I see people whose potential has been lost and whose one shot at a life has come down to a big screen TV and a council house. I don't envy them at all.

I've literally never had a day's dole money in my life. I guess that should make me a person who resents those who have, but I just don't. There but for the grace of God, as believers say ...
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:04 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by HighTide

It's a beautiful sunny day down in Devon.....
We have had a beautiful week all barring one day. It was my nephew's wedding yesterday which was a real fun affair. It was a second marriage so just a small affair with about 26 people. Registry office followed by a 3 course lunch at a lovely old restaurant in Exeter. Welcomed in by a glass of Pimms and then a sit down lunch . Back to their house for a bit of a party. Met some wonderful new people . A real fun day. Oh yes and the night before the Stag do ....really glad I restrained myself....there were a couple of bad hangovers. Just can't do stags the night before the wedding.
That sounds great! Glad you're having fun

How do you feel about being back? Are you happy? Do you miss anything about your old life?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more, Sally.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

That sounds great! Glad you're having fun

How do you feel about being back? Are you happy? Do you miss anything about your old life?
I really am enjoying being back and very much looking forward to having a home again which will be this coming Friday. Although family have been great it is not the same as having your own space. I can truly say as much as I loved Vancouver I am much happier here. It just plain feels right...it is home and we cannot wait to start exploring when we pick up the car this week.
There is still so much to do once we move in but it really will be fun starting over. We both feel up to the challenge but will ease into it this year with holiday lets and wait for the B & B part for a while.

The sea front and beach are just buzzing with people today .....it has felt more like May this last week down here.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't care though. I think that's just the downside of a caring society - some people will take advantage. You can fret and be annoyed, but it doesn't change anything and just raises your blood pressure

You have said yourself how safe the safety net makes you feel and you can't have that feeling without also having the scroungers IMHO.

The other thing about those people is how sad and confined their lives are. They are limited always by their need to scrounge. I don't look at them and see people living the life of Riley. I see people whose potential has been lost and whose one shot at a life has come down to a big screen TV and a council house. I don't envy them at all.

I've literally never had a day's dole money in my life. I guess that should make me a person who resents those who have, but I just don't. There but for the grace of God, as believers say ...
I like your attitude Sally. It's good to know it's there if ever we need it, but I'd rather live without needing it. If others want to live a constricted live because of it, then thats all they'll ever have in life isn't it. Sad but true.
I don't need a flat screen and blue ray to make me happy. I don't have either BTW.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:47 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

See I don't look at it this way at all. My SIL has worked her whole life and paid into the system her whole life - over 30 years. Her husband has paid into the system for the same amount of time. Now unfortunately, she has been struck down with a grave illness. The allowance she's getting to help her buy a car is simply her getting back what she paid in for all those years. It isn't your money, it's hers and her husband's. And if she's also getting a little bit of what luckier people paid in but don't need, well, I think that's how society is supposed to work. DDL, when you moved to the UK, your husband was able to claim job seekers allowance even though he had been away a long time. No one asked him to justify himself. No one said 'no I'm sorry you haven't been here long enough." I suppose my mum paid for that over the 50 years of her work life and some people might resent that, but I think it's fabulous that you got that benefit. Tony had paid in previously and he was entitled to help when he needed it. I suppose strictly speaking the government doesn't give my SIL or your husband the money, but the government states that 'this is how our society is going to run' and that's the type of government I personally prefer to live under. It took living here before I realized that. I don't actually plan to ever claim a penny from the government (and never have) but I like to know that the security is there if I need it. And more importantly that it's there for people less fortunate than me. Btw - tonight my husband was telling me about some Manchester couple who have taken a pork pie on holiday every year for 40 years (don't ask). We were laughing about it and he said "and that's the place we want to move back to!" We! We! I am going to sleep smiling tonight
SS, the point I was actually trying to make was that when everyone says how great it is that "the government" is helping, we shouldn't lose site of the fact that that 'help' is thanks, in large part, to the people of the UK who work and pay their dues so to speak. 'The government' isn't some Father Christmas out there on Dartmoor spreading love, money and goodwill.

Is your husband American or English? I can't recall.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

On petrol & prescriptions (whenever I need one), I am better off in the UK. We fill our car up rarely (not even once a month) unless we are going to visit MIL/FIL (2-4 times a year) or a road trip. If not for trips like that, a petrol fillup lasts us ages! Then again, we both pay public transport costs (train for DH 5 days a week - which where we live is cheaper than the bus, and bus for me 3 days a week), and we can walk from our house to most shops that we need. Seriously, I think the last time I filled up the car was in January!

This is a quote from another forum. Interesting.

Poster is an American with British citizenship and lives in Leeds which she loves with a passion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.