Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't know anyone getting any benefits except my gran and my brother. My brother lost his job but gets housing allowance and jobless benefits, which has saved him from having to move in with my mum. Meantime my gran has Alzheimers and gets amazing home care - carers come 3 times a day and she only has to pay 25% of the cost. This has enabled her to stay in her home and not live with my mum or in a care home. Despite how she's benefiting by keeping her own life and privacy, my mum is the moaner in my circle, always complaining about the country and how things are going to the dogs. British people just don't know how lucky they are and since most will never live anywhere else, they'll never learn.

Yes between two worlds that was a typo. It was meant to say 'now' although it turns out a new shop has opened that also serves as the post office, so I was wrong about that anyway. As I was looking it up, I found this house for sale in my old village.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18366063.html

That's my perfect house (if I won the lottery ). Especially as the best pub in the village is just up the road!
Ohhhhhhhhhh, Sally! That's absolutely beautiful! A dream house, to be sure!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Well my apartment is now sold and I am officially homeless I am still here in NJ - staying with friends here in Colonia whilst I sort out the paperwork that I want to take home as well as wait for the money to clear. I am so tired as the stress and lack of sleep over the past few days finally catches up with me - but that's OK - I can sleep in tomorrow and decompress before I head back to England next Saturday!! I will post my flight details later in the week - but now I'm off to bed
I am so excited for you Lorac and isn't it great that you have this week to decompress so that you can enjoy your reintegration into UK life without feeling totally shattered. All the best. Will be tracking your flight next week.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Today my mum was telling me about her brother (who recently died) his wife was classed as disabled as she is partially blind. This meant she was allowed some kind of allowance in order for them to buy a new car every few years. So even though she is disabled they were given (??) money to buy a car so he could drive her around, plus I think they didn't have to pay MOT or road tax?? My mum was a bit vague about this as she is not a driver.

http://www.financingretirement.co.uk...isability.html
Yes - my SIL just qualified for this too. You can have a monetary allowance or a car, and you can have the car adapted for you. I'm assuming the plan saves the government money over paying out the cash, but it's been a real blessing to them as she was having a very hard time getting in and out of her car.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

BUT tomorrow weather permitting my sister and I are off to Buxton for a nice drive.
Oh I want all your impressions! That's on my list of places to check out as a possible new home.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, the safety net is there for us when we want it, believe me.

I mean look I didn't know all this stuff last time in such detail as I had my own savings as a buffer (now gone ) but from what I can gather if you WERE to lose your job (and this has been a concern of mine) you would get Housing Benefit.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ng_benefit.htm
This makes me feel so much better about renting! It's a huge relief for me. Granted, I might never lose a job in the UK but, naturally, it's on my radar because of the lousy job market in the MidWest over the last five or six years (longer actually).
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hey Cheers,
My Mums next door neighbor for 21 years he is a mechanic and works locally in a Garage, he does Mum,s MOT every year, well the other day we were talking and I asked him about when I get ready to buy a car can he recommend a good reliable car? and right away he said Toyota's are the best, and I mentioned that I would prefer an automatic and he said he would buy a Toyota Yarris, they are very good cars he said, and for an automatic make sure you get one 1300cc and above, and he suggested that I check out Auto Traders,
good info Jasper. Duly noted.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Windsong, the safety net is there for us when we want it, believe me.

I mean look I didn't know all this stuff last time in such detail as I had my own savings as a buffer (now gone ) but from what I can gather if you WERE to lose your job (and this has been a concern of mine) you would get Housing Benefit.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ng_benefit.htm
After reading just a few sentences at that web site you posted, I realized you might be safer getting a rental than buying a place. If you should lose your job, you can't get mortgage payment help (I don't think) but you CAN get help to make the rent payment!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
good info Jasper. Duly noted.
Linda, did I read recently that you are planning to move over this year or am I mistaken? I've read six pages of forum messages this afternoon so please forgive if I am mistaken.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So now I know where Buxton is on the map. I hope you get to go. Quite close really.
Close for those of us used to driving an hour to work or whatever but for British people this is a BIG day out LOL!!

I remember years ago I came back to the UK with my (then) husband on holiday, we got up one day and he said "Let's go to the Lake District" we were staying with my mum so of course she was included in the day trip, well she got up and we told her where we were going, well you should have heard her "THE LAKE DISTRICT for a day trip??" Like we were going to Outer Mongolia or the Great Wall Of China LOL!! She then proceeded to make sandwiches and a flask of tea for our arduous journey of 1 and a half hours.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I said I hadn't been to Frodsham but I since remembered I went there on market day years ago and we bought some pictures of Liverpool that were painted around 1900.
Older flats to rent in Frodsham are cheaper than modern flats in the centre of Liverpool, go figure!!!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, I know you like Wales and some others want access to transportation as a requirement so how about this one in a small town.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18253233.html
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh I want all your impressions! That's on my list of places to check out as a possible new home.
My nephew who got married last Saturday, well he and his new wife went to spend 2 nights in a spa hotel just near there for their honeymoon and were very impressed with the whole area, they went for a drive to Buxton and said it was just gorgeous, so this will be my first proper country day out.

I will take some pics for you Sally.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 19th 2011 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just thought I'd attach a picture of the village, as I know some folks on here like piccies.
Beautiful! Yes I am very visual and love the pics.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by windsong
After reading just a few sentences at that web site you posted, I realized you might be safer getting a rental than buying a place. If you should lose your job, you can't get mortgage payment help (I don't think) but you CAN get help to make the rent payment!
Exactly and there is no way I am taking on a mortgage at my age anyway!!! Sure I would like to leave my kids some money from a property, but hey ho, I don't want the burden at my time of life.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bee, I know you like Wales and some others want access to transportation as a requirement so how about this one in a small town.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18253233.html

I love that one - all except the kitchen floor lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.