Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 25th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Videografics
In eight days we'll be going home. At least, back to the country of our birth.
I've been living abroad for fifteen years, the missus for a bit longer.
weeks temporary let at the moment) no job and very little cash (but no debts either).
But I sure am looking forward to it!
Not away for so long , for myself and Wife number 3, (who is Thai), but we have been here for three years, when I stupidly shipped all I possess, here. I am now 80, and this heat, which rises a little each year, is debilitating me, as I have a slow heart beat. So in February, we are going back to my now empty house, in Shropshire. Take Care, and Good Wishes. what part? dontheturner
Old Dec 25th 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Not away for so long , for myself and Wife number 3, (who is Thai), but we have been here for three years, when I stupidly shipped all I possess, here. I am now 80, and this heat, which rises a little each year, is debilitating me, as I have a slow heart beat. So in February, we are going back to my now empty house, in Shropshire. Take Care, and Good Wishes. what part? dontheturner
I didn't know that the tenants had moved out, thats great and now you will only have to move once. I think you said maybe you would have to move to an intrim place while giving the tenants time to move out. Again, nice.

Are you bringing back any furniture? I think you said it wasn't practical.

Cheers
Old Dec 26th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
I didn't know that the tenants had moved out, thats great and now you will only have to move once. I think you said maybe you would have to move to an intrim place while giving the tenants time to move out. Again, nice.
Are you bringing back any furniture? I think you said it wasn't practical.
Cheers
Hello! Bringing nothing back - too expensive, and they don't pack or treat things good. Family Possessions, are not the in thing here.

Had difficulty selling things, at all. So a little sad. my lifes things - gong going gone. Never mind. worse things happen at sea. The bad thing is, I have no idea what savings I have accrued - Had the lloyds A/C I use here, robbed, so I closed it. . Last year, a bond came up, but have no idea . it could be a tenner, or it could be a thousand, or ten.??? Hoping! When I say house will be empty, I don't know for sure, but they did get three months notice.- But taking lots of clothes -. 5 large Suitcases. dontheturner
Old Dec 27th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we will be home by spring.
Had offer on the house after only 4 weeks on the market
Now I need to find a home for my cat, just can't bring her home
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by PhilipTapper
i would love to hear more about safe house' for returning ex-pats and the price, your looking for, its really good idea Tanto what made you came up with that idea, i live in UK and may be i can help you in that direction
Hello Philip,
We have started a separate thread for this issue. I'm not sure if I came up with this idea initially, I think it just evolved! At the moment we are discussing having ex-expats offering spare rooms for new returnees - advice and support, etc. It looks like we 'll eventually have a network of spare rooms and 'buddies'.
I think the 'safe house' can only be tackled from the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't checked my emails for 3 days and I have missed one from Rosie, sorry it's a bit late:

Hope all is well - library had water leak in the server last summer hence the problems - settling in finally. meeting people - mainly in the street - great interest expressed in my Sorel boots! Hope you have good Christmas break, and please wish the BE community my best. I will get back to posting when I get more organised.Lots of snow and ice - you know about the airports and trains having problems - it has been blasted all around the world by now I am sure. Hope High Tide and partner get back to the USA and return safetly to buy and settle.
All the best, Rosie
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Haven't checked my emails for 3 days and I have missed one from Rosie, sorry it's a bit late:

Hope all is well - library had water leak in the server last summer hence the problems - settling in finally. meeting people - mainly in the street - great interest expressed in my Sorel boots! Hope you have good Christmas break, and please wish the BE community my best. I will get back to posting when I get more organised.Lots of snow and ice - you know about the airports and trains having problems - it has been blasted all around the world by now I am sure. Hope High Tide and partner get back to the USA and return safetly to buy and settle.
All the best, Rosie
Lovely message. Thank you, Bee.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Not long now Jackie!!! Are you nervous? Excited? Happy? Scared? Does your daughter have any plan to move with you any time in the future or is she too "American?"

I got the collywobbles on Christmas Day looking at the family etc. And you know you get those Christmas "sentimental" feelings. I had to go off for a wee while and compose myself. They gave me a really beautiful silver necklace as my daughter said she wanted to give me something to remember them by, as if I could ever forget!!! So that started off the waterworks again.....

Hope you are doing better!!! Less than 5 weeks to go for you, then I think Don will be another 3 weeks behind you, then I am a week after him!! Less than 9 weeks for me!!!!
I am very excited, but also keep bursting into tears. I think saying goodbye is going to be very hard, I tend to be a blubber butt anyay. The reality of actually leaving forever is creeping up on me, and although I want to, I get a little melancholy at times.
Will be good to get the cat scan behind me on the 10th, that is my biggest worry right now..just keeping my fingers crossed..
I am looking forward to being home with my parents tho. My daughter is American, she will never move to UK, but she will visit, and maybe when I get my life back together, I will come back here to visit. Not to long for you either, any news on that job?
Jackie..
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.

Off the subject!
Anyone else notice how slow the internet is today?

Cheers
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.

Off the subject!
Anyone else notice how slow the internet is today?

Cheers
Hi Cheers,
Honestly, havent even thought that far in the future, but it definitely will be a concern.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Sentosa, why can't you take her with you? She looks upon you as her mama.
There are no pets allowed where we are going to live and everything moved so fast that we don't have the 7 months to get her shots etc.even if we could have pets.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I already filled 2, and havent even opened my closet yet..this could get expensive...
This reminds me, I'd love to have an idea what everyone is taking back with them. Is it just clothing and a few momentos perhaps? I have been thinking about this myself. Aside from clothing, I have tons of linens (not bedding) that would be useful over there, a real Tiffany lamp that I could get rewired, two sewing machines, two laptops and a few knick knacks and that's it. I am replacing nothing from this point forward.

I love my Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart kitchen processors but I suppose I can replace them in the UK.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sentosa
There are no pets allowed where we are going to live and everything moved so fast that we don't have the 7 months to get her shots etc.even if we could have pets.
Can't you slow down the move or put her in boarding until she can be flown over? She is part of your family. If where you are going to live won't take her, can you find somewhere else to live?

For myself, if I could not take my pets, I would stay in the U.S. They are my family.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
This reminds me, I'd love to have an idea what everyone is taking back with them. Is it just clothing and a few momentos perhaps? I have been thinking about this myself. Aside from clothing, I have tons of linens (not bedding) that would be useful over there, a real Tiffany lamp that I could get rewired, two sewing machines, two laptops and a few knick knacks and that's it. I am replacing nothing from this point forward.

I love my Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart kitchen processors but I suppose I can replace them in the UK.
I am just taking clothes and a few momentos, which is ironic really because most of them are things my parents have brought me over the years from England.... 34 yrs in 4 suitcases....
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am just taking clothes and a few momentos, which is ironic really because most of them are things my parents have brought me over the years from England.... 34 yrs in 4 suitcases....
I understand, Ldy. It just goes to show material things aren't really worth much after all All the things we gathered over the years didn't really bring us that much happiness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.