Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Boy, I thought I was the only one who saw things this way, I hate thoughtless lazy people who wont return carts to there proper place, I too park miles away from the front door of stores, I hate the damage and inconvenience caused, its annoying.
Don't forget to say trolley not cart when you return
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Boy, I thought I was the only one who saw things this way, I hate thoughtless lazy people who wont return carts to there proper place, I too park miles away from the front door of stores, I hate the damage and inconvenience caused, its annoying.
It isn't always thoughtless and lazy people. I've been known to leave the cart, I try to hook the wheels over a curb or planter.
Heres how it can go. Infant in a car seat, toddler trying to escape, it's 100 degrees out and my frozen stuff is not doing well, I open the car doors, load the boot as fast as possible, strap in the toddler, move infant seat from cart to car base, hook cart wheels to stop it moving jump in car and get the A/C going, baby is now beet red and crying from over heating, toddler is ready to start too. hand over a snack/bottle and get home ASAP.
Dh used to leave for work at 6am and get home at 9pm, so I either shopped (at a discount store no help out and pack your own bags) or go without food, sorry if I ever let a cart get away from me, I don't think I have, but you never know. My own car has grocery store battle scars from run ins with trolleys too.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
This is along the lines of what we were talking about before. In my view the reason extremity areas in the UK came into vogue is partly because of massive price rises in London, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester that allowed second home hunters and down shifters to use equity to buy into the low-priced (value) areas, sometimes, as in the latter case, pocketing the difference. Reading of your gains, I checked on gains in the decade to 2009 in the West Country of England and in Redruth, Helston, Penzance and Exeter, prices tripled in those ten years. This all happened without any noticeable new sources of employment for the local population to enable them to enter the property market and pay their mortgages. Partly to blame was the euphoria associated with the Eden Project, surf life at Newquay and Rick Stein in Padstow - not the most popular guy in Cornwall.

I'm not sure that the circumstances will be same for new stella-performing areas to flourish in similar fashion again anytime soon hence our discussion relating to new and improved transport links or significant new sources of employment. Things like being appointed as European City of Culture can get things going nicely too but that is not your scene and probably not mine either.
You are very knowledgeable PP2, and I, for one, appreciate the info you post.
I am not sure what a "European City of Culture" is, but if it has the word "city" in it, you are right in thinking that it is probably not for me.
Have more I would like to say but have to be off to a job. More later. I notice the time zone postings here... being West Coast of North America I am usually posting
when most of you are sleeping .
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:22 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say that having that £1 coin return on shopping carts doesn't necessarily prevent accidents from happening, although I guess it may prevent more accidents from happening than already happen.

Just a few weeks ago mum was at the grocery store and when she came back out, a trolley had pranged the side of one of the doors on her BMW. It was somewhere near £500 for the repair (it was just a DING!) but she has some kind of special insurance for things like that and didn't have to pay the whole amount.

Parking bays are just sooooo tight here, even for the most responsible of drivers, it's still uber easy for accidents to happen just by getting in/out of your car.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I am not sure what a "European City of Culture" is.
Excuse me but I got the title wrong. It should read:

The European Capital of Culture "ECC"which is a city designated by the European Union for a period of one calendar year during which it organises a series of cultural events with a strong European dimension.

I guess I misread it in my own mind as Liverpool was ECC in 2008 which is not what you would really describe as a "capital". Other cities in the Uk have tried to get it, even small ones, but only Glasgow succeeded, in 1990. The point is that both cities were able to dramatically improve their infrastructure as a result of the award, with some underpinning of property prices. We are seeing more heavy investment in Glasgow facilities in the lead-up to the Commonwealth Games in 2014. Likewise, Stratford and Hackney in London for the Olympics 2012.

Time-wise, we're in the middle of everything here, being one hour ahead of New York until the end of this month when, unlike everybody else it seems, we do not change our clocks as we are so close to the Equator that we see not much more than an hour variation in sunrise and sunset as the year progresses.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2011 at 9:06 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:56 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's an interesting website. It's the UK Driving Test Pass Rates organized by postcode: http://www.driving-test-success.com/...pass_rates.htm

Nationwide, the UK pass rate on the driving exam (for cars) is 45.65%.

The pass rate at my local centre (where I'll be taking my test) is 49.57%.

The test centre at Gairloch (in Scotland) is shown as having the highest pass rate (70.59%), and the test centre at Bradford (in West Yorkshire) has the worst pass rate (27.05%).

Hmmm...maybe I should make a road trip to Scotland for my test!!!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Here's an interesting website. It's the UK Driving Test Pass Rates organized by postcode: http://www.driving-test-success.com/...pass_rates.htm

The test centre at Gairloch (in Scotland) is shown as having the highest pass rate (70.59%), and the test centre at Bradford (in West Yorkshire) has the worst pass rate (27.05%).

Maybe the learner drivers at Gairloch are of a higher calibre, particularly in steering, as they know that Loch Gairloch is deep, rather than it being that the examiners are a soft touch or the Scottish drivers are just canny. Your local sounds fine!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2011 at 10:12 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Darn it the one that Ds will use is blank, and the next nearest is only 35% Is that just the driving part or does it include the behind the test?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Bee - - it's great to hear that you are feeling more rested after ten days with your sister. The emotional turmoil leaving family again would have left you fairly traumatised without the long flight on top.

Trolleys. They have just been made available here in Perth, WA. But you still have a choice of the free ones or the new shallow ones that take a $1 or $2 coin. Not so much bending over with the new ones. After wheeling the trolley out to your car you then have to bring the trolley back to the store to retrieve your coin. With the old trolley you just have to leave it in the 'trolley parking bay' which people usually do.

Paula.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... 2.5 times, that's unreal, Good for you, I was hoping we could make some money for the very same reason, we did the same as you, we bought in a new area ten years ago that is now very desirable, Our values went up slowly, it took 8 years to increase about 40%, then they dropped like a Brick as the economy tanked. Huhhhhhhh
I feel very bad for you FnC, and for many in the US who are experiencing the heartbreak of foreclosure. The situation you describe has happened to me in the past too. I had a house in Alberta during the boom years. When the bust came, I sold it for less than I paid for it. It hurts.
It goes to show that even with the best of analysis, ultimately the future is unknown and anything can happen. We can only rely on, and make decisions on, what we know in the present and hope for the best in the future. I wish you the best in yours.
Linda
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Not all Brits want to go back.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...py-to-stay-put
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to be pokey but did your dad work at Llanwern? Hence all the moving around you told us of in a recent post - was it South Wales, Edinburgh and he settled in Somerset????

Have you been back to South Wales? I did a pilgrimage of sorts back in 2005 and stayed in the Vale of Glamorgan (Llantwit Major) and then moved up to near Raglan. BEAUTIFUL country and we had a great time. Llantwit Major* and the Cowbridge area, but not Cowbridge itself, really appeals but it is very attractive for Cardiff commuters and a bit pricey. Chepstow looks very attractive also.

*Now has a resurrected rail line than runs from Bridgend to Cardiff via Cardiff International (Rhoose).
No. My father never lived in Wales. My mother only ended up there because I was about to be born and she went home to her parents during that time. (My father travelled a lot). When I was born she moved back to London to be with my father and then two years later they moved to Scotland. When they divorced some years later my father returned to England - to Somerset.

No, I haven't been to Wales in many, many years. In fact, the closest I have been to Britain in recent years is watching the British property shows in England online It is from those shows, that I picked up that property in Wales is a lot less expensive than in Somerset.

If older people (58 years old) cannot get mortgages in the UK, I doubt it will matter which area I live in. I am trying to get my head around the mortgage situation over there.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I saw something the other day that comparing real estate prices to reasonable rental returns, France is third most overpriced real estate country/zone on the planet after Hong Kong and Australia. The article was hinting that it is far better to rent there, which is in fact what 40% of the population do. UK was still overpriced but nowhere near as bad as France.

That said, there are some lovely looking properties on the market but we Brits have to be careful as they are in agricultural areas which are very depressed and appear attractive to us as Brits but are in fact way overpriced in the overall market. Then of course we should avoid any fixer-uppers unless we speak very good French and know exactly what we are doing and what we are letting ourselves in for.

FYI, USA and Canada were fair value.
Good to know. Thank you PistolPete.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

. Reading of your gains, I checked on gains in the decade to 2009 in the West Country of England and in Redruth, Helston, Penzance and Exeter, prices tripled in those ten years. This all happened without any noticeable new sources of employment for the local population to enable them to enter the property market and pay their mortgages. Partly to blame was the euphoria associated with the Eden Project, surf life at Newquay and Rick Stein in Padstow - not the most popular guy in Cornwall.
Interesting this. Do you think the prices will fall? 'what goes up must come down' idea.
I haven't kept track but I've never noticed the prices of homes in the UK go anywhere but up. Now the US is a different story.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well I for one, DO want to be a 100% part of something, after too many years of being on the outside looking in...........

edited to add: If you weren't like Onslow before you emigrated why would you be like Onslow now??? confused.com
Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV7b...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.