Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
If I can remember my student days and related to what you have said here we need to find the 'mean' and not the average. Anyone study statistics?
Dunroving is your man
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:55 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
But that's the average of all combined house types. It remains that the average price in January 2011 of a:

Detached property is £258,794
Semi-detached property is £153,663
Terraced property is £124,065
Flat/maisonette property is £153,055

(See page 4)

Beeb still rules.
I have a family member that recently bought a 3 bed, 1 bath bungalow, in the SW of England, in a nice area, just outside a market town, not too near a big city. It is in average condition, nothing over the top, with a nice little garden.

250,000 pounds.

In that area 166,000 pounds would buy you a terrace.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:20 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
To be honest, even the British property shows differ about this. I have heard 230K and also the mid 160s. I know it's much lower as you go north into Scotland.

Hearing two such conflicting figure left me quite confused about the issue.
On the property shows, they usually give the figure for the average detached house. The average house is not detached and therefore the price is lower.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

"everyone cramped up into small, expensive housing" can actually describe a very large portion of the UK!!!
Oh for sure - although London is the most cramped and expensive.

The beauty of this world is that we all like different things. If everyone wanted to be in a field in the Lake District with me, it would really really suck up there!

I have friends who live in the middle of Manhattan in a tiny little flat and think we're insane to live as far out as we do (25 minutes) which they think is frankly just uncivilized.

But as a born and bred northerner who grew up in a village, I will always find London an unappealing place to live - but great for a day or two's stay. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to live in a city, I'd choose York. Full of history and character - but also full of Yorkshire folk with few southerners! Oh I kid!!! (a bit)

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 6th 2011 at 2:29 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If I can remember my student days and related to what you have said here we need to find the 'mean' and not the average. Anyone study statistics?
Yes, three years of it at uni but can't remember much
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ticked off because Doctor Martin isn't on tonight.

I mean what is the world coming to???
Ohh I like that. I watched some of it on YouTube a while ago but not since I got an IP proxy to watch it on the iplayers. What channel is it on?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

A lot has been written today and has been mentioned about the food-super markets, well when I eventually get there I will try to avoid them because of what the markets are doing to the suppliers and everyone else come to think of it. I'm thinking here about the farmers who have seen their costs go up and yet the amount they receive from the supermarkets for their products continue to go down. Not fair, it isn't.

Like in the US the businesses are starting to run the country and they must be stopped. Also look for example at the confectionery industry and the biscuit makers to mention a few. They have shut factories in the UK and have moved to places like Poland but they still want to sell their products in the UK. Nonesense. I would turn their lorries around before they get to the UK to punish them for putting UK employees out of work.

I think what I am saying is the Tescos and others are squeezing their suppliers so the suppliers either go bankrupt or have to move their production to other countries. My point is you can get bargains at Tesco at the expense of workers loosing their jobs. (I know that is an over simplification)
The solution is pay a little extra and support the 'moma popa' independent locally owned shops or is it too late?

After rereading and editing this it appears to be disconnected. Putting in one simple sentence, shopping at places like Tescos may not be in my or your long term interests. How does that sound?
Well said, Cheers!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'll probably be around 50 by the time we get back (47 now).

I have done quite a bit of research into a mortgage after my mother told me there's no way we could get one (typical British negativity!).

The issue for us is not so much age but the fact that we are self-employed and that is hard in the UK right now. But I've spoken to a couple of ex-pat mortgage brokers and both said we could obtain an offshore mortgage with no difficulty and then refinance once we had been in the UK a while. The offshore lenders take your US credit into account. The problem with these mortgages is that they typically won't lend less than £100K.

Alternatively we could rent for a few years, get a UK business accountant and build up some credit, and then borrow a smaller amount from a UK lender.

That will probably be the option we choose if we are not able to grow our business enough to save up. We're lucky that so far house prices where we live have held up pretty well (down about 15% from the peak). That could all change of course

One thing I think is worth noting - as the economy becomes more of a global economy, I wouldn't be surprised to see more acceptance of international credit records in a few years time. Not saying it will happen, just that it could.
Hello Sally...

On the subject of international credit records, I wanted that 22 years ago when we returned to the UK, I'm not sure we are any closer today, We always pay our bills on time and live well within our means, our fico score is great and I think that should count for something back in the UK, it shows responsibility if nothing else, but lets face it once we leave the USA our financial picture will have totally changed, I took copies of my credit info with me when I went back in 89, with hopes it would make it easier for us to get a mortgage in the UK, I never landed a job so we returned to the USA and never got to see if they would be of any real use, Id suggest people do that today if they have good fico scores, it cant hurt can it.

Today I'm not really sure I want a credit checking system brought into force like that in the UK, lets face it many of us could get sick tomorrow and be medically bankrupt in months, I have to wonder how the UK would view that on a credit check, the Brits might not be so forgiving, it could cripple us forever, I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying...

I looked at our financial situation a few years ago and figured we had just enough money to go back and buy a home in the UK, nothing lavish, a basic two bedroom Bungalow that needed some fixing up, (we'd seen a few) something much smaller than we'd really like, still we figured we'd sooner have what we could afford and not have to have a mortgage ever again.

The last few years have been awful, our savings of the past 20 years have almost gone and our home is worth so much less than it was just two years ago, we wont have close to enough money, we are about $70k short, for the past 20 years all I've done is work n save for our return to the UK, no new cars, no wasteful spending, watching that money slip thru my fingers has been pretty depressing, believe me, many have got it much worse than me, I'm truly grateful I still have a job and more importantly my health.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot has been written today and has been mentioned about the food-super markets, well when I eventually get there I will try to avoid them because of what the markets are doing to the suppliers and everyone else come to think of it. I'm thinking here about the farmers who have seen their costs go up and yet the amount they receive from the supermarkets for their products continue to go down. Not fair, it isn't.

Like in the US the businesses are starting to run the country and they must be stopped. Also look for example at the confectionery industry and the biscuit makers to mention a few. They have shut factories in the UK and have moved to places like Poland but they still want to sell their products in the UK. Nonesense. I would turn their lorries around before they get to the UK to punish them for putting UK employees out of work.

I think what I am saying is the Tescos and others are squeezing their suppliers so the suppliers either go bankrupt or have to move their production to other countries. My point is you can get bargains at Tesco at the expense of workers loosing their jobs. (I know that is an over simplification)
The solution is pay a little extra and support the 'moma popa' independent locally owned shops or is it too late?

After rereading and editing this it appears to be disconnected. Putting in one simple sentence, shopping at places like Tescos may not be in my or your long term interests. How does that sound?
Im glad you corrected yourself Cheers, you should have used Asda/Walmart as the example, maybe Tesco learned that skill from them, Walmart has been doing that to manufacturers in the USA for years, I think its why you cant actually buy a TV or Coffemaker that was made in the USA, these companies had to relocate in China or go under, Huhhhhhhhhh... of course Americans lost jobs and Walmart were the winners, laughing all the way to the bank.

I totally agree with you about Cadburys, people should band together and take a stand against foreign made goods, if they only bought British made then these companies would have to reevaluate their decesions, if people did it just once it could secure future jobs in the UK for everyone, they dont have to change laws, Brits could just buy Mars and see what Cadbury does.

Today its polish Cadbury, tomorrow it could be Indian or Chinesse Cadbury, when will people learn to stand up for themselves.

Ask yourself this, how long will it be before Mars moves production abroad...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Mar 6th 2011 at 8:42 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That doesn't match what I have read in the newspapers for quite some time now - which is closer to the average of 167k that Cheers quoted. Strange, but true.
You and cheers are right cause if you read the different reports in Denise,s link that there talking about how things were at the start of 2010, so we are talking about at least a year ago, since then prices have dropped a little every month and so yes we are at the mid £160,s for a regular 3 bedroom older terraced house now,
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm taking up far too much space here tonight (apologies) but before I go play on Facebook for awhile, I did want to mention that I passed my driving Theory exam this morning.

The cost was 35 quid. The test took about an hour. 50 multiple-choice questions on the computer using a touch screen. You can get up to 7 wrong; I got 4 wrong.

Then a 3-minute break, followed by 14 video clips that test your hazard perception. These are a bit tricky with a weird scoring system (it's kind of like a video game), but I passed.

I plan to book my practical exam in about a month after I've had a few more driving lessons. So far, I'm very, very pleased with my AA instructor but even with the AA member discount, lessons are expensive.

Here's some mock exams:

Multiple choice test http://bit.ly/cE3tRdHazard Perception Test http://bit.ly/16xDDv
Congrats Denise on passing your Theory/written test, and good luck on your drivers test in a month
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bandrui,
You said send me down to hyde park corner, oh yes I remember when i was living in London for a short year in the early 60,s i used to enjoy listening to all those different people talking to the croud,
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Re: All the questions about house prices and statistics, it is complicated.

National data are skewed by some areas (I think Sally R said this), so you really should look at figures for different regions separately.

Overall data are skewed by the fact different types of properties are lumped together (as Sally S said) so you should look at figures for different types of property separately.

Generally, the median (middle score) is best because it is more representative for skewed data and will be about the same as the mean in non-skewed data. That's why income and salaries are usually reported as median.

An additional problem is that the different bodies spouting statistics are citing data from different time periods (so some are almost a year out of date), and different types of data (asking price, sale price based on mortgage applications - excluding any cash purchases, sale price based on government data derived from stamp duty records).

An additional problem at the moment is that the more local you get, the more likely that data will be based on small samples (especially at the moment when sales volume is well down), so the "latest" data (data for last month, the month before, etc.) can vary wildly because each month only a few houses are sold in local//regional areas.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I read that an IO at Heathrow told someone off for not entering with their British Passport. I would comply with that but my passport was issued in 1955 so I think I would get some heat for showing that. Who has £600 for a new one? I could buy a lot of biscuits and sweets if I had that money.

I know it doesn't cost that much but whatever it is it is very, very expensive and a little cheaper if you wait to get back to the Island.
Yes cheers i waited till i got back to UK to re-new my UK passport as I still had a month left on it when i arrived, it was soooo much less then if i re-newed it in U.S.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers i waited till i got back to UK to re-new my UK passport as I still had a month left on it when i arrived, it was soooo much less then if i re-newed it in U.S.
Can you remember approx. how much, Rodney? Mine will be coming up in a year or so and just wondered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.