Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Do you know how many Ass holes there are in the world? --- well me neither but i sure do know that there are one hell of a lot
Billions, actually! Hope they don't all find us!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well said, DDL - and sally too. Both sides of the pond have ignorant people, and sometime or the other we fall over them. I met one in Boots the Chemists a few weeks back, and it was all I could do not to punch her lights out, as the saying goes. Instead, I chose to rise above the problem and ignore the woman.
So true.

DDL, it seems as though you took my post as a dig against America. It wasn't. It just happens to be the place I live and therefore the place where I encounter ignorance about immigrants.

As I have said more than once, I think the Daily Mail is a scourge. My mother reads it and parrots back the same nonsense to me about lazy immigrants coming for the benefits.

Ignorance and fear of 'the other' happens in every country and it's always worse in bad economic times, when people are looking for someone to blame for their problems. I'm lucky that the part of America I live in is less prone to this kind of stuff than most parts, but it still happens.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL
And the few times that Brits over here have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence.
lol ..my MIL told me she was fed up with dealing with immigrants on the telephone (when dealing with gas , phone etc...)

Those funny accents apparently ?

Funnier that it ended up being me (funny accent ) getting her a better rate in the end ...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
I am a little frustrated today..so just a vent from me.
My parents being the sweet people they are, bought me a little car, I know very sweet right?? Unfortunately, as I dont have a British drivers license yet, and cant get one for 6 months, I cant get insurance here for it, even though I have a brand new US license and have been driving there for 33 yrs. Well I could get insurance, but it would cost over a thousand pounds for a year. I cant say I blame the insurance companies, but I am really frustrated that I have a car, and I can drive, but I am still stuck...grrrrr....OK end of vent..

Jackie..
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Hi everyone,
My parents being the sweet people they are, bought me a little car, I know very sweet right?? Unfortunately, as I dont have a British drivers license yet, and cant get one for 6 months, I cant get insurance here for it, even though I have a brand new US license and have been driving there for 33 yrs. Well I could get insurance, but it would cost over a thousand pounds for a year. I cant say I blame the insurance companies, but I am really frustrated that I have a car, and I can drive, but I am still stuck...grrrrr....OK end of vent..

Jackie..
Oh no !
Sorry for you .

That has also made me nervous ,we both only hold a US license .
Were you even given the option to pay monthly ?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Jackie..
Jackie, so nice to hear from you. Sorry about your problem but don't give in. I know from posts that there can be hugh differences in auto insurance rates so call around until you get a reasonable rate. I think some get a good rate from the Post Office. Apparently they sell auto insurance?
I will check some posts. How about DDL did she get a reasonable rate?
OK I did some research and found the recommendation you go through a insurance broker. You can also see if you can use a letter from your US insurance company that shows a clean driving record. There are hundreds of drivers in the UK who are insured and drive on a US license.
Hey Dunroving are you able to help a damsel in distress?

This has not been my experience at all. The brokers know exactly where to go to get you the best rate for your particualar situation and are much easier to reach than someone in a big insurance group. I have recommended my broker to a few people on UK-Y and he's been able to help all of them. I can give you his info if you want. Just let me know and I'll send a PM.

I would definitely go with Avivia. They were the only major insurer that took into account my US driving history-- even the fact that I was never a policy-holder in america, they took into account I had over 10 years clean driving on my record there.

We ended up paying £750 for fully comprehensive with breakdown on a £6000 car ('03 Astra in 2006)

I think Dun pays £600 a year

Last edited by cheers; Feb 28th 2011 at 4:00 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Darn good i would say and fer £5 per person you ccouldn'teven cook it yourself for that cheap,
I Love those two for £10 meal deals at the pub, you can get them week days too in many places.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how many Ass holes there are in the world? --- well me neither but i sure do know that there are one hell of a lot
I think its one per person although some have been lucky and managed to get two.

Thats a lot of gas coming from both ends.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
lol ..my MIL told me she was fed up with dealing with immigrants on the telephone (when dealing with gas , phone etc...)
Im glad that never happens here... Lol
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone,

Jackie..
Jackie...

Surely this can be sorted, yes Insurance prices are expensive, I like Gabbys idea of monthly, still it costs the same just divided by 12, I agree with cheers, shop around dont just accept the first quote, its a competitive biz just like here.

Dont forget it will get cheaper as you build up a NCB, No Claims Bonus...
I think your US licence will count for a lot with the right company.

I'm curious what Mum and Dad bought you, and yes that is so sweet.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Feb 28th 2011 at 5:54 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

I think Dun pays £600 a year
My insurance this year was less than £200 (hastings), though I drive a junker.

My first year back (2006) I paid about £400 through the AA. Insurance of all kinds has gone up a lot in the past 5 years, but for a low insurance group car, you should still be able to get insurance for about £500 even as a returning expat. Just keep trying different brokers and people until you find the right person is my advice.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just want to welcome all new posters, I wont name you all as I'm sure I will miss someone and dont like to offend, you all sound like happy people now you've found new direction, thats a good thing...

Bandrui, don't think for a minute your long posts are boring, we love to read and understand a persons situation, we are all in the same boat...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:11 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
My insurance this year was less than £200 (hastings), though I drive a junker. My first year back (2006) I paid about £400 through the AA. Insurance of all kinds has gone up a lot in the past 5 years, but for a low insurance group car, you should still be able to get insurance for about £500 even as a returning expat. Just keep trying different brokers and people until you find the right person is my advice.

We're paying £332/year with Direct Line. That's for a 2007 Renault Megane and 2 drivers: my husband (UK license) and me (UK Provisional license).

Once I get my regular UK license (I'm taking my Theory exam this Saturday and in about a month, when I finish my driving lessons, I'll take the Practical) our annual premium will drop.

We lived in the States for 6 years but Tony kept his UK license. When we moved back, we each brought with us letters from our US insurer showing that we had no claims. We provided Direct Line with these, and were given a No Claims Discount.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:16 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I am a little frustrated today..so just a vent from me. My parents being the sweet people they are, bought me a little car, I know very sweet right?? Unfortunately, as I dont have a British drivers license yet, and cant get one for 6 months, I cant get insurance here for it, even though I have a brand new US license and have been driving there for 33 yrs. Well I could get insurance, but it would cost over a thousand pounds for a year. I cant say I blame the insurance companies, but I am really frustrated that I have a car, and I can drive, but I am still stuck...grrrrr....OK end of vent.. Jackie..

Jackie, why do you have to wait 6 months to get a UK license?

Can you be added onto your parents' policy in the meantime?

Why don't you give Direct Line a ring? They were very helpful with us, answering all of our questions 0845 246 8701
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Jackie..
I'm seconding everyone else to say keep trying around. You will definitely get something less than £1,000 - especially if you can get a letter from your US insurance company saying you had no claims. The key to success when emigrating is never give up! (I remember trailing around 10 car dealers here in the US before I found one who would lease a car to us).

Good luck!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 28th 2011 at 7:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.