Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Julie...

I too think shoes and clothing are expensivein the UK, Jeans were £50 10 years ago, you can still find well made shoes made in Italy and Brazil, most in US seem to be from China...

My inlaws always load up with pants and shirts while here on vacation...
I agree with that, we'll be buying from Asda Tesco and eBay, I can't afford the prices of the stuff Mum send me for birthdays and Christmas. I think I'll stock up on expensive basics, coats, jumpers, undies (I love Jockey) and Jenas before we move back.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sunday we always got some sort of peice of meat with vegatable and potato. Monday we would have left over meat cold with chips. We lived in Lancashire and my Mother was from Chester. Dont know if it was a thing were she came from. Can't remember way back. My brother loved tin pears with custard and bread and butter My Mother was a great cook always made dessert, jam rolly polly, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, never tasted anything as good as hers. Always remember it had a nice brown crisp on top.
We had the proper roast at dinner time, with a good pudding, then the salad and lunch meat at tea time.
I've got a rice pudding in the oven as I write, it's turkey loaf, and mashed potatoes and rice pud tonight.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sunday we always got some sort of peice of meat with vegatable and potato. Monday we would have left over meat cold with chips. We lived in Lancashire and my Mother was from Chester. Dont know if it was a thing were she came from. Can't remember way back. My brother loved tin pears with custard and bread and butter My Mother was a great cook always made dessert, jam rolly polly, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, never tasted anything as good as hers. Always remember it had a nice brown crisp on top.
It's like we are related. My mother grew up in Rossett which is now a suburb of Chester. We always had a roast on Sunday war or not and I think we only had desert at the Sunday dinner (did I tell you I was an abused child) and the typical desert was the rice puddin' with, as you describe, that brown or burnt crisp top. I love rice pudding and I only get about once every three years.
Another desert was jelly and blancmange. Love it. I was not allowed to drink milk because we only got a pint delivered a day and drinking milk was extravagant for my mom. It cut into her money for smokes
I was born in 1938 and I went all through the war and never went hungry or missed a meal. Thanks for all that saw to me eating.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We had the proper roast at dinner time, with a good pudding, then the salad and lunch meat at tea time.
I've got a rice pudding in the oven as I write, it's turkey loaf, and mashed potatoes and rice pud tonight.
Yes, all our Mums and Grans went to the same school. We had proper Sunday Dinner too, always with roast beef and yorkshire pudding, or lamb with mint sauce, plus veggies from the garden (we lived in the country) brussels sprouts, cabbage or broccoli, all of which I hated back then. Does anyone remember steamed pudding with tate & lyle goldensyrup on top?? Yummy!

My in-laws still have tinned fruit and carnation for dessert!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:08 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't forget the Dairylea cheese

Also my Mum used to cut up pieces of celery which were eaten dipped in salt.

Food has got a thousand times more cosmopolitan in the UK since I was a kid.
We all loved the celery root, but my mum would save it for my dad and my older brother.

We had a lot of tinned fruit also. I think my mum liked it because she was deprived during the war. We always had Nestles tinned cream on top - shaken until it was thick. Yum! She also made Welsh cakes. Yum Yum!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How did you find that? I could NEVER find a lower fare.

Or is this just a joke due to the date?.........................
The date was a joke!

The fare was for real.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
I remember having Lemon Curd sandwiches and my grandma baked coconut fairy cakes!!!!

Hi all- have not been on for a while- are we all posting on here now or the other over 50's and 60's- I stopped looking cos I did not recognise any of the posters!
My mother made the best Lemon Curd.

Shelley there is only this 50's and 60's now. The other one got too big.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:33 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't forget the Dairylea cheese

Also my Mum used to cut up pieces of celery which were eaten dipped in salt.
YES! Both of those! Did they all go to classes to learn this stuff?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think all our Grans must have gone to the same school for cookery We had that fork for getting pickles too.
Great minds think alike!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Julie, yes we need more stories.....of how you are all finding it!
jasper, sequins??
Englishmum congrats on becoming a grandma.....
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't read newspapers or watch the news, too much doom and gloom, I prefer to live in my own little bubble.
You are so lucky not knowing whats going on in the world.

What country are you going to refuel in?

I need to know when you are leaving, the flight number and the airline.

I know you have posted it several times but one more time. Pretty please.

I hope you have the best flight ever.

Cheers
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just to carry on reminiscing we ate a lot of runner beans because they were the only vegetable we grew in the garden. A little ritual was slicing them ready to be boiled for Sunday dinner.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

One of the many foods that I'm looking forward to in the UK is Mustard and Cress sandwiches and there was another weed that I can't remember anyway they were good on deviled egg sandwiches.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Weather forecast for the UK "Wet and Windy" Homesick yet?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
One of the many foods that I'm looking forward to in the UK is Mustard and Cress sandwiches and there was another weed that I can't remember anyway they were good on deviled egg sandwiches.
Watercress?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.