Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Rodders! Are you telling me you bought yourself trainers with SEQUINS??

Mine cost £9.99 from Amazon.co.uk
I dident SEE THE FREAKING SEQUINS IN THE PICTURE --- maybe i will have to have another eye sight test

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 22nd 2011 at 7:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OK I know what the Dodge Avengers look like now after looking them up on AUTOTRADERUK . They are cheap to buy used and they have low mileage and if they have a diesel engine they are made by Volkswagen. Unless they changed their name I don't think they imported them after 2009.

You got a good price on your car btw.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How are you finding it? Is it a bit of a culture shock? Or has it been easy to slot back in?

Congrats Englishmum!

Re: smoking, both my parents smoked when we were kids. I can't believe it now! I still remember drives to my nan's house in the car, the smell of cigarettes mixing with my mum's hair spray and all the windows closed because of the rain. Then when we got to nan's, we'd have salad that included spam and tinned beetroot. Is it any wonder I always used to want to throw up on Sunday nights?
Is it any wonder you want to be covered by socialized medicine now.

I had the same experience with both my parents smoking in the kitchen(family) room with the door closed and the fire going. Amazing I made it to this age. Note: two of my siblings died of cancer at an earlier age and we think this was do to 'downwind' atomic fallout from Nevada.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome Julie to our family!

Were did you move to Southampton from?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....Never mind the excuse being glasses, how about a little bit heavy on the drink

Julierandal..Welcome to our little band of warriors
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I dident SEE THE FREAKING SEQUINS IN THE PICTURE --- maybe i will have to have another eye sight test
I think you get that on the NHS now you are retired, off to Specsavers with you
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:16 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

How are you finding it? Is it a bit of a culture shock? Or has it been easy to slot back in?

Congrats Englishmum!

Re: smoking, both my parents smoked when we were kids. I can't believe it now! I still remember drives to my nan's house in the car, the smell of cigarettes mixing with my mum's hair spray and all the windows closed because of the rain. Then when we got to nan's, we'd have salad that included spam and tinned beetroot. Is it any wonder I always used to want to throw up on Sunday nights?
I think the posh name for that was "luncheon meat." We had it for Sunday tea also. My dad grew beetroot. My mum cooked it, sliced it, and soaked it in malt vinegar. Delicious!

My dad smoked a pipe in the house!!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I think the posh name for that was "luncheon meat." We had it for Sunday tea also. My dad grew beetroot. My mum cooked it, sliced it, and soaked it in malt vinegar. Delicious!

My dad smoked a pipe in the house!!
What was that standard for tea on Sunday in the whole of UK? we got salad with "luncheon meat" and pickled beetroots. (I had some of them on my dinner last night)
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What was that standard for tea on Sunday in the whole of UK? we got salad with "luncheon meat" and pickled beetroots. (I had some of them on my dinner last night)
It was probably mandatory . I also remember Branston pickle, sliced white bread with butter, radishes (UGH!), hard-boiled eggs and pickled onions. My gran had this little fork to pick up the onions out of the jar. Dessert was tinned fruit with carnation milk. Ick!!

How Britain ever produced the likes of Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey I will never know.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably mandatory . I also remember Branston pickle, sliced white bread with butter, radishes (UGH!), hard-boiled eggs and pickled onions. My gran had this little fork to pick up the onions out of the jar. Dessert was tinned fruit with carnation milk. Ick!!

How Britain ever produced the likes of Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey I will never know.
Don't forget the Dairylea cheese

Also my Mum used to cut up pieces of celery which were eaten dipped in salt.

Food has got a thousand times more cosmopolitan in the UK since I was a kid.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
My husband bought the same from the Dept store in Southampton - went back for another pair as he paid same and they best ever for comfort - sold out!

We have been back in Southampton for 2 months now after spending 28 years in Avondale Arizona - cost of living here not too bad but clothes and shoes soooo expensive - the Sales are all we can afford!

Welcome Julie...

I too think shoes and clothing are expensivein the UK, Jeans were £50 10 years ago, you can still find well made shoes made in Italy and Brazil, most in US seem to be from China...

My inlaws always load up with pants and shirts while here on vacation...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Love and relate to all your Sunday night tea memories, we used to spend Sunday Evenings at my Garndma's she'd always finish off the night by cooking bubble n sqeak for us. I Loved it...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday we always got some sort of peice of meat with vegatable and potato. Monday we would have left over meat cold with chips. We lived in Lancashire and my Mother was from Chester. Dont know if it was a thing were she came from. Can't remember way back. My brother loved tin pears with custard and bread and butter My Mother was a great cook always made dessert, jam rolly polly, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, never tasted anything as good as hers. Always remember it had a nice brown crisp on top.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember having Lemon Curd sandwiches and my grandma baked coconut fairy cakes!!!!

Hi all- have not been on for a while- are we all posting on here now or the other over 50's and 60's- I stopped looking cos I did not recognise any of the posters!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't forget the Dairylea cheese

Also my Mum used to cut up pieces of celery which were eaten dipped in salt.

Food has got a thousand times more cosmopolitan in the UK since I was a kid.
I think all our Grans must have gone to the same school for cookery We had that fork for getting pickles too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.