Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
£13.50 if you go on February 30th

OK, if you book in advance it is £13.50 roundtrip.
How did you find that? I could NEVER find a lower fare.

Or is this just a joke due to the date?.........................

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 22nd 2011 at 5:02 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh congratulations on the birth of your grand-daughter Englishmum, lovely name too.

I hope you get to see her real soon.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

To get the very best fare you buy maybe 30 days in advance and then you have to grow up to get a senior card.

There are various types of discount cards so you might find one that applies.
Like everything else when you get use to the website it is easy to find what you are looking for.
But you have to be over 60 to get a senior rail card and I am much too young.

These fares are great for the planners in life but not so good for the more spontaneous people like myself. I have never seen such cheap fares!!!

p.s. Just did a check on Windermere to Runcorn and I could see it was £13.50 one way and £33.00 back total £46.50 booking a month in advance also the outward journey involved 4 trains changes and an extra hour to the journey.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 22nd 2011 at 5:10 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG that's awful

Well I have BIG NEWS!

I became a granny today!

My daughter gave birth to a baby girl, our first grandchild

The baby was born at home after 18 hours of labour, in Isleworth. My daughter was utterly exhausted and a bit 'out of it' but thinks the baby was born at around 1.20pm UK time and approx 3kgs (which she thought was around 6 pounds?). She will be called Amethyst, after the birthstone for February - but I will probably call her Amy or Emmie, which my daughter is fine about.

I was mortified that my daughter chose to deliver her first baby at home, but she is very stubborn and a bit of a bohemian/hippy. (She's kept the placenta, thank goodness not to eat it but is freezing it and will bury it at some point...I've been to one of those at a baby-naming ceremony in Pennsylvania and it was hard to keep my face straight!). Also my daughter is tiny, only about 4ft 10" but needed no stitches or painkillers...she had a 'hypnobirth' where you apparently meditate (and now the NHS has announced it's going to fund a pilot scheme of 800 mothers to deliver by hypnobirth).

When she called me the baby was sleepy and hadn't had her first feed and I think my daughter was struggling with trying to establish the milk supply. Also the baby had to have some oxygen at birth, and possibly swallowed some meconium which worried me, but I think if there was any concern the midwife would have sent the baby to the nearby hospital. No photos yet, I'm dying to see what she looks like but apparently has lots of black hair, dark eyes (like all newborns) and a cone-shaped head

My daughter began her maternity leave on 23rd December, the baby was due on the 9th of Feb but decided to be a late arrival! My daughter plans to return to work after 9 months, if she doesn't then she will need to repay the maternity pay (which I think is paid for six months?)

I would have loved to have been there, but sadly my daughter's partner says that they need to 'bond' as a family unit before they want visitors (they're in a 1-bedroomed flat) and want to be on their own for a week or two at least (he has no contact at all with his own family and is only about 4 years younger than me, which makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere). I'll fly to the UK in a couple of weeks or so....spouse is also leaving Singapore to work in Switzerland in the Summer, so I will also meet up with him and go for a look-see in the Zurich area too.

Oh, and it's my son's girlfriend's birthday today too! I'll open up a bottle of Bolly tonight
wow many many congrats!!!! how exciting..so glad all is well. Home births are lovely if no unusual risk factors...

I can see the desire to bond as a family unit first (as long as this is what your daughter wants too) especially if space is tight...Tho if I were you I too would be itching to dash over there! (Have no grandchildren yet).

Hypnobirth is a very interesting idea....I myself was helped enormously by the writings of British childbirth writer Sheila Kitzinger, whom I still recommend to every mother-to-be...she helps you relax and know what to expect and be less afraid....so I had no painkillers for any of my three children.
(On the other hand, I have to beg the dental hygienist to numb my gums before she starts the cleaning!!!!).

Anyway congratulations on little Amethyst, hope you get to see her soon!

tina
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Trains and deals:

try here too: http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/

You can have advance tickets mailed to a UK address or arrange to pick them up from specific stations (most manned stations). Even if you buy them the day before you travel - for example, my ticket from Paddington to Bath Spa the day I moved to Frome was £7.50 one way. I had a Senior Rail Pass also, which is why it was so reasonable.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Denise you and i have simular tastes cause i bought a pair of sneakers just like that last week at Debenems --- on sale from £25 down to £6
My husband bought the same from the Dept store in Southampton - went back for another pair as he paid same and they best ever for comfort - sold out!

We have been back in Southampton for 2 months now after spending 28 years in Avondale Arizona - cost of living here not too bad but clothes and shoes soooo expensive - the Sales are all we can afford!

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum....Congratulations on becoming a Granny She was very brave to stay home. I would have been still sat there waiting for the baby to arrive. I had over 24hours labor and then had to have a C/section. Did you say her husband is your age or did I read that wrong.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
wow many many congrats!!!! how exciting..so glad all is well. Home births are lovely if no unusual risk factors...

I can see the desire to bond as a family unit first (as long as this is what your daughter wants too) especially if space is tight...Tho if I were you I too would be itching to dash over there! (Have no grandchildren yet).

Hypnobirth is a very interesting idea....I myself was helped enormously by the writings of British childbirth writer Sheila Kitzinger, whom I still recommend to every mother-to-be...she helps you relax and know what to expect and be less afraid....so I had no painkillers for any of my three children.
(On the other hand, I have to beg the dental hygienist to numb my gums before she starts the cleaning!!!!).

Anyway congratulations on little Amethyst, hope you get to see her soon!

tina
I have to say that anyone having their first baby at home must be very brave! This is the method my daughter used:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ving-baby.html

Can't wait to see the new baby, will probably book a flight tonight as I've heard that flight prices are often reduced on Tuesdays/Weds and I need to fly with Virgin Atlantic to get enough frequent flyer miles to requalify for the Gold *Star Alliance (via Singapore Airlines - Virgin isn't in an alliance).

My husband had a chat with the new mum this morning; all is fine, the baby is now feeding. However, she now doesn't want the baby to be nicknamed 'Amy' but is ok with 'Emmie'
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Englishmum....Congratulations on becoming a Granny She was very brave to stay home. I would have been still sat there waiting for the baby to arrive. I had over 24hours labor and then had to have a C/section. Did you say her husband is your age or did I read that wrong.
Her partner is only about 4 years younger than me and 5 years younger than my spouse! They met at university as he was a mature student on her course.

There is a chilly atmosphere between us, not just because of the age thing but for various reasons; he had a kidney transplant about 3 years ago yet he is a chain-smoker and refused to give up smoking around my pregnant daughter and now I fear, the new baby. He won't even smoke outside, he smokes in the tiny flat. I can't tell you how appalled I am with his attitude.

He's also signed off work as he is 'sick with stress' I don't think he's ever held down a job for long, possibly because of his previous history of kidney failure but also lack of work ethic. I suspect that he would like to stay at home with the baby whilst my daughter returns to work (she has a 2 hour commute each way...) He hasn't got two pennies to rub together and my daughter's been paying off his credit card bills.

Also he says he doesn't know or care if his parents and siblings are dead or alive as he was 'abused'....who knows what the truth is with this guy, it's so frustrating - but my daughter loves him. They do say that love is blind!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you and your daughter Englishmum! I am all in favour of home births.

Hope the Dad bucks his ideas up
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum...I am so sorry. As parents we have to stand back and just be ready to pick up the pieces when something happens. I do think your daughter should put her foot down regarding him smoking in the flat. Its not as if he is not aware of the hazards of second hand smoke. Perhaps he needs to read some literature, its a wonder the healthcare people dont say something to him. Does she have a visiting nurse. You must be so worried. Being a Mother is really hard at times. I think he is playing on your daughters good nature but eventually she will have to think about the baby. Give her time. I do wish you luck.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Her partner is only about 4 years younger than me and 5 years younger than my spouse! They met at university as he was a mature student on her course.

There is a chilly atmosphere between us, not just because of the age thing but for various reasons; he had a kidney transplant about 3 years ago yet he is a chain-smoker and refused to give up smoking around my pregnant daughter and now I fear, the new baby. He won't even smoke outside, he smokes in the tiny flat. I can't tell you how appalled I am with his attitude.

He's also signed off work as he is 'sick with stress' I don't think he's ever held down a job for long, possibly because of his previous history of kidney failure but also lack of work ethic. I suspect that he would like to stay at home with the baby whilst my daughter returns to work (she has a 2 hour commute each way...) He hasn't got two pennies to rub together and my daughter's been paying off his credit card bills.

Also he says he doesn't know or care if his parents and siblings are dead or alive as he was 'abused'....who knows what the truth is with this guy, it's so frustrating - but my daughter loves him. They do say that love is blind!
Im sorry ,so stressful ...
But Congratulations to you ,such a gorgeous name
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hey cheers £147 to fill it up ---- NUTS !!! at least its not as big as a Hummer I think they only get 7 m.p.g. tops,
We had a Dodge Viper in Arizona and we found a RHD Dodge Avenger just a month ago for GBP 2300! Tho the gas here is real expensive we are happy with the cash paid for our new vehicle - insurance seems a lil expensve here but hey its a good car and we got a good deal on the day. Fill the tank for less than we thought so forgot the Viper now! Tho do still miss the power red color - this ones silver lol! Anyhow = 147 tooo much to fill the tank with gas!

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
We have been back in Southampton for 2 months now after spending 28 years in Avondale Arizona - cost of living here not too bad but clothes and shoes soooo expensive - the Sales are all we can afford!

How are you finding it? Is it a bit of a culture shock? Or has it been easy to slot back in?

Congrats Englishmum!

Re: smoking, both my parents smoked when we were kids. I can't believe it now! I still remember drives to my nan's house in the car, the smell of cigarettes mixing with my mum's hair spray and all the windows closed because of the rain. Then when we got to nan's, we'd have salad that included spam and tinned beetroot. Is it any wonder I always used to want to throw up on Sunday nights?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney you bought a pair of silver, sequinned, glittery sneakers?
oh i dident see the glity & sequinnes ? Denises sneekers just looked like the regular to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.