Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yep quite correct indeed, I read recently though that the British Government are talking about bringing in a fair one base pension amount of £140 per week for everyone of pension age no matter how many years they have paid in for, think the only requirement is that you have to be a British Citizen or leagal resident, and there thinking about 2014 I think?
They used the word RESIDENT only.

The point was that this 140 pounds would then do away with means tested pension credits for example which are expensive to administer in themselves.

But

Apparently this was information that was leaked to the media by somebody and cannot be found in any government bulletin. There was supposed to be a release around Dec 4th but that came and went.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
They used the word RESIDENT only.

The point was that this 140 pounds would then do away with means tested pension credits for example which are expensive to administer in themselves.

But

Apparently this was information that was leaked to the media by somebody and cannot be found in any government bulletin. There was supposed to be a release around Dec 4th but that came and went.
Yes, this part is a bit worrying - I can see UKC nonresidents getting the shaft at some point.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, this part is a bit worrying - I can see UKC nonresidents getting the shaft at some point.
They'll just have to pay the 30 years under the existing scheme for Class 3 NIC, reduced if working, but hurry, the rates have gone up big-time in just two years and the window is closing on back-years.

2007-2008 405.60
2008-2009 421.20
2009-2010 626.60
2010-2011 626.60

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 14th 2011 at 8:06 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So am I missing something in these comments??

Can an old age pensioner living in the UK receive no pension if they only worked a couple of years?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers

Can an old age pensioner living in the UK receive no pension if they only worked a couple of years?
Check this for starters as individuals' circumstances will obviously differ.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_188551
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that if your income falls below a certain amount it will be topped up with benefits to a 'minimum income guarantee' amount.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My understanding is that if your income falls below a certain amount it will be topped up with benefits to a 'minimum income guarantee' amount.
yep, the Pension credit which is currently 132.60 which is means tested.

The media release (leaked) indicated that all RESIDENTS would go to 140 pounds un-means tested but we're not sure whether this is for real and the Ministry is mute on it.

I note that you have to be resident in Great Britain in order to qualify for Pension Credit. This would suggest that the residency would be the same for the 140 pounds flat pension for everybody (singles)

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 14th 2011 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

The media release (leaked) indicated that all RESIDENTS would go to 140 pounds un-means tested but we're not sure whether this is for real and the Ministry is mute on it.
So what kind of a lifestyle could I expect on £140 per week?
Lets see get an order of fish and chips and ride around on the free bus to keep warm.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I note that you have to be resident in Great Britain in order to qualify for Pension Credit. This would suggest that the residency would be the same for the 140 pounds flat pension for everybody (singles)
Oh yes, the minimum income is only if you are resident in the UK.

I have a bad feeling about these new proposals for non-residents.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lets see get an order of fish and chips and ride around on the free bus to keep warm.
I think the idea is you get an occupational pension as well.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Or a spouse with a good pension.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you will agree that very few people get those in the US?
20% maybe
People usually get terminated before they qualify so as to cut costs.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you will agree that very few people get those in the US?
20% maybe
People usually get terminated before they qualify so as to cut costs.
Sorry I thought you were asking about the UK system.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Then there's housing benefit for those with next to zilch.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...sing-benefits/
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading this site for a while now and one of the most frequent questions that comes up (not on this thread mind you) is some form of "I've been away for 20 years and now my life has gone crappy and I want to go home. Can anyone tell me how I can claim benefits and housing?"

This recent conversation about health care makes me realize that I will be doing the same in a way - swanning back in to the country and using the NHS right away.

If the government is serious about the cutting the deficit, as opposed to being serious about implementing their ideology, I think they need to put some requirements and limitations on returning ex-pats. You should have to be resident for some period of time before you can claim benefits for example. And while they can't do that for the NHS (because the cost of not providing minor care becomes much higher when the person shows up at the ER in the middle of a heart attack) they could make returning ex-pats cough up some extra money. I don't like parting with my hard-earned cash anymore than the next person, but this seems only fair to me. Obviously this doesn't apply to pensions because people have paid into those.

Or perhaps I've been in America too long

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 14th 2011 at 9:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.