Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ridiculously dangerous I always have bad dreams after of bullets falling back down to earth and coming straight through the roof and hitting one of the kids. I have anxiety issues
Seems like the news will report every new years day about someone being shot by accident during this new year revelry.
I think this was something to do with fireworks being banned here. I did a bit of a search as I had never questioned the ban and it is something to do with they were being used in certain parts to mask shootings and people using the gunpowder for other uses and so on. Yes there really ARE bad parts in Australia.........mmmmm......

They are allowed by professionals however and I have to say Sydney puts on a SPECTACULAR firework display on NYE.

I was amazed when I watched Coronation Street in November and Rita in the Kabin was selling fireworks for Guy Fawke's night, just straight over the counter in those big cardboard boxes we used to get and rockets and everything!!! It's funny how you forget these things.....

Off now to watch the London NYE fireworks........
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Gunshots?? Wow.

Did everyone see the London fireworks? Lots of people are saying they're the best in years. I just thought it was amazing. (Crank the speakers and make the video full screen!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0
WOW WOW WOW!!!!

I thought Sydney put on a good show but London has it beat hands down!!!

Made even more impressive by the London skyline and Big Ben!!!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Gunshots?? Wow.

Did everyone see the London fireworks? Lots of people are saying they're the best in years. I just thought it was amazing. (Crank the speakers and make the video full screen!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0
Thank you for the link - they were truly magnificent - loved how they used the London Eye as part of the show - and adored the "mind the gap" during the one lull . Also the chimes of Big Ben - so strong and steady - so very British in many ways!!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
All the very best Shelley and I hope you have much improved health for 2011.

Are you going back to the UK in June for a reccie to check things out before you move back??
Part of it is...nervous about job prospects being over 50, so hubby wanted to see for himself...
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

screen grab of fireworks in London ( was watching via internet!)
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-2011-london-3.png  
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HighTide
Happy New Year to everyone! Mine not started the pubs. In Teignmouth it is traditional for people to dress up on New Years. Apparently there were some amazing costumes around.
We watched TV with the fireworks from the London Eye and we all agreed they were the most spectacular we had ever seen.
We are still in the process of trying to buy the property in Brixham. The ball is now back in the vendors hands and with the holidays we are not likely to hear back until Tuesday. We did the second viewing on a rainy dull day and stilled loved the place.
Hello HT,I always rent somewhere along Overgang, as I cannot resist the fresh Fish & Chips, along the harbourside,-- Brixham is tops for me. dontheturner.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I was just playing around on Google Earth and I looked up my grandfather's sister's house in Wales. I used to go there a lot when I was a young child. She was about six years older than my grandfather and it was a bit like going back in time to visit her house. She had one of these old black double-size cooker's it took up half a wall almost. It looked as if it was made with black wrought iron but I don't know. She cooked the most fabulous rice puddings in it

Anyway, I had a disappointment when I saw her house. It was a beautiful Victorian era house and, now, I see half the street has been converted into flats. They have taken out the upper and lower bay windows and put flat modern, character-less windows in them, taken out the little porchway by the front door, and completely destroyed the Victorian architecture in the front b y sandstoning the now flat front of the house. Why can't they leave the lovely architecture the way it was - and then turn it into flats? They even put an additional doorway right beside the front door, so its probably a one up, one down set of flats now. Pathetic!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I was just playing around on Google Earth and
Anyway, I had a disappointment when I saw her house. It was a beautiful Victorian era house and, now, I see half the street has been converted into flats. They have taken out the upper and lower bay windows and put flat modern, character-less windows in them, taken out the little porchway by the front door, and completely destroyed the Victorian architecture in the front b y sandstoning the now flat front of the house. Why can't they leave the lovely architecture the way it was - and then turn it into flats? They even put an additional doorway right beside the front door, so its probably a one up, one down set of flats now. Pathetic!

Its all about money.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know whether to start new thread or not on this topic.. I am considering visiting Ireland for 3-4 days in April-May timeframe. I am not so keen on driving in Ireland or UK as only ever learned to drive in US.. So I suppose my question is to those for whom Ireland is home (Derrygal?) and others who know Ireland do I visit Dublin or Belfast?.. i saw House Hunters International yesterday and episode set in village outside of Dublin and what they showed of Dublin I loved. Thank you..
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

34 minutes until Doc Martin comes on the TV.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Its all about money.
I know. This is one part of the UK I won't like. It reminds me of the U.S. I know it is following the path of the U.S. but I hope the UK citizens wake up before it's too late. Even so, it's a good few years behind this country in that regard.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
I didn't know whether to start new thread or not on this topic.. I am considering visiting Ireland for 3-4 days in April-May timeframe. I am not so keen on driving in Ireland or UK as only ever learned to drive in US.. So I suppose my question is to those for whom Ireland is home (Derrygal?) and others who know Ireland do I visit Dublin or Belfast?.. i saw House Hunters International yesterday and episode set in village outside of Dublin and what they showed of Dublin I loved. Thank you..

Dublin is beautiful. My father worked there for a good number of years and we vacationed there a few times. I don't know about Belfast because I have never been there.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:44 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

I'm surprised that was allowed. So many period houses in Britain are listed and/or in conservation areas and there seem to be very few places where you can just ruin an old house that way. In the Victorian area of Kendal, people have to apply for permission just to replace their windows.

The knock on the UK these days is usually too much planning and building regulation, not too little. Sounds like this is a case either of something that happened a long time ago, or an unusually negligent local government.

(For the record, I agree with all the regulation, just saying that's what people usually complain about)

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 2nd 2011 at 1:48 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm surprised that was allowed. So many period houses in Britain are listed and/or in conservation areas and there seem to be very few places where you can just ruin an old house that way. In the Victorian area of Kendal that I love, people have to apply for permission just to replace their windows.

The knock on the UK these days is usually too much planning and building regulation, not too little. Sounds like this is a case either of something that happened a long time ago, or an unusually negligent local government.

(For the record, I agree with all the regulation, just saying that's what people usually complain about)
I agree with that regulation, too. It's obvious that the road the house is on was widened at some point as there are now cars parked all down one side of it. In doing so, they did away with the small garden she had in the front (it's a terraced home). It looks bad enough with the front door only feet away from the road now but to take away the architecture is disgraceful. A few blocks up from her house there are more houses like hers but they are about an additional three feet back from the road and they have been left in the original decor. Her house used to look just like those.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Here is the house. The one on the left is as it is now and the one on the right is similar to how it used to look - it's one just a few houses down. You can see another front door has been added - that brown thing - really close to the main front door. Actually, I think both are new and the old one was somewhere in the middle. Both of the main windows used to be bay windows. I remember. They would have to have gone to an awful lot of structural trouble to remove those bay windows. I wonder if they played around with the street numbering in the last 30 years. Maybe what was her address is no longer her address. The one on the left looks awful and even the one on the right doesn't look too good now but they were lovely houses in their era.

Last edited by windsong; Jan 2nd 2011 at 2:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.