Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

mummy in the foothills....Can I join the club I feel the same way I woke up this morning thinking this is it for the rest of my life. All the doom and gloom on the housing market and it just doesnt get any better. I honestly don't know how or why I drag myself out of bed some mornings. I think I am on automatic pilot.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:07 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I depressed myself today by looking up houses on Rightmove and printing out brochures. Don't know why I do it to myself.

I think the winter blahs make everything worse - at least they do for me. It has been cold and unpleasant now for weeks on end and I am going stir crazy stuck in the house.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue View Post
mummy in the foothills....Can I join the club I feel the same way I woke up this morning thinking this is it for the rest of my life. All the doom and gloom on the housing market and it just doesnt get any better. I honestly don't know how or why I drag myself out of bed some mornings. I think I am on automatic pilot.
OH dear Trotty so sorry to hear this....keep your pecker up

(LOL as we Brits know, this means keep your CHIN up, "pecker" on the analogy of a bird's beak, but I've said it to Americans who have thought I was being rude....)

"If winter comes,can spring be far behind?"
(Shelley, I think.)

Tina
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone welcome misery loves company.

Well the weather isn't any excuse today, it's blue skies and sunshine I opened all the windows and did laundry, went for a walk and Dd talked to the goats down the street, they are called Bill and Tricia Makes me laugh when she calls to them.
It's like a summer day in Wales, maybe thats why I'm all bummed out.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post

Funny you should mention Wales, I had a lovely long e-mail from my cousin who lives in Saundersfoot letting me know what she's been up to.

Then late this afternoon I put the TV on and had forgotten that the Rugby Sevens in on in Las Vegas. It was really nice to hear some of the teams players being interviewed and to hear the Kiwi and Welsh accents.

You can watch the Sevens again on Sunday on NBC so you can cheer on Wales/Scotland or England (England and New Zealand are the favourites, but I have a soft spot for the Samoans).
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone welcome misery loves company.

Well the weather isn't any excuse today, it's blue skies and sunshine I opened all the windows and did laundry, went for a walk and Dd talked to the goats down the street, they are called Bill and Tricia Makes me laugh when she calls to them.
Then how come it isn't raining then?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons View Post
I depressed myself today by looking up houses on Rightmove and printing out brochures. Don't know why I do it to myself.

I think the winter blahs make everything worse - at least they do for me. It has been cold and unpleasant now for weeks on end and I am going stir crazy stuck in the house.
Ive stopped looking and setting myself up, I'm no closer than I was a year ago, its nice to dream but then reality sets in.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Then how come it isn't raining then?
Booo. you sound like Dh when he's trying to wind me up
OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-dscf2284.jpg

Heres one of our last summer days in Wales, it was hot we had to stop for ice cream, calm seas and a walk up the pier.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Booo. you sound like Dh when he's trying to wind me up
Attachment 98889

Heres one of our last summer days in Wales, it was hot we had to stop for ice cream, calm seas and a walk up the pier.
Only kidding. I luvs me Welsh Wales.

Diolch yn Fawr
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:10 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
so my son went to give blood this morning and they ask him the normal questions and he gave the right answers except one and they said he couldn't give blood. The question? Did you live or visit the UK in 1992? Yes. Sorry you can't give blood.

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Strangely enough, in the UK I was not allowed to give blood due to having received a blood transfusion in the UK. What's that about???? lol
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Strangely enough, in the UK I was not allowed to give blood due to having received a blood transfusion in the UK. What's that about???? lol
Cookie - If you read the back posts, from over night, it tells you why! don
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
so my son went to give blood this morning and they ask him the normal questions and he gave the right answers except one and they said he couldn't give blood. The question? Did you live or visit the UK in 1992? Yes. Sorry you can't give blood.

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Cheers thats very interesting indeed cause I tried to give blood in Vegas about 10 years ago and they sat me down and asked the questions and everything was fine just like your Son until the dreaded question --- have I visited and spent more then 3 months I think in UK from 1983 to 1995 I think something like that, and I thought about it and remembered that in the 80,s I spent 11 months in England working here, (it was the only time I went back to try and live here, dident work out then though, dident want to stay here then,) anyway so I said yes and she said Ohhhh sorry we cant use your blood, I felt like a leapord so she explained its cause of the mad cow desese in UK back then, she said dont feel bad cause we cant even take the blood of our own American Service Men and Women who have been stationed in the UK for over 3 months in that time period,
So hence I have never been able to give blood in the USA,
Rodney.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't know that? We laugh about it all the time. Apparently I'm a Mad Cow and can't give blood Of all the years to live there, that was the one I choose so none of us can give blood, we also hung out on farms (well yes we were in Wales where else would we go )

On another vein (ha ha) do you ever get those days when you feel like nothing will ever change and you'll be trapped here forever? I'm having one of those days. House prices suck big time and the nearest city to us (45 minutes away) has been named #1 most miserable place to live second time in a row. The unemployment rate is predicted to reach 18% there this year, no wonder I can't find a job. I didn't want to get out of bed today.
Yes I have and know exactly how you feel, the feeling that you are trapped forever that there is no way out, these are the times when you have to just jump out of bed and start singing and dancing like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, ---- The hills are alive with the sound of music lalalalala --- lalalalalaala and hows the air out in your neck of the woods? is it clean? are there green hills and country? if so get outside and breath the fresh air in and raise your arms in the air and say its great to be alive !!!! and start singing and dancing --- never mind who maybe looking on and thinking you have finally lost it, and are thinking of calling in the men in there white coats
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Trotty, oh yes all the doom and the gloom --- like watching coronation street for a month or emardale or the other one, pity its not just as easy as switching the channel to have a happier more positive feeling,
On the housing front, it seems that there are so many of you that have this big burden of selling the house before you can make the leap --- take the Jump and come over and come home, ------- I just thought that how many people on here are in the simular posistion as my friends were here in Vegas where they bought there house right at the end of the housing price bubble and they fell into the trap of buying the house on no or little money down and an adjustable mortgage like thousands of others, well you know the story the broker told him like everyone was told the same BS that after 6 months there will be so much equity in the house that you can re-finance and your mortgage payments will go down from what it is now $1700 P.M. to about $800 P.M. ---- well we all know what happened next the house prices started to drop and so no equity was built and the value just started to slip away so now my friend gets a letter which tells him that his mortgage will be going up from $1700 to $2300 PM so the decision my friend made at that point was to hell with this so he said in the same breath to hell with my credit rating too, Hes not going to pay his mortgage anymore and we will see how long it takes for them to boot us out of our house, ---- he didn't pay nothing for a whole year and nothing was done, what did he care he was upside down in his house, if he did by some miracle sometime in the long term be able to sell his house then the proceeds would not be enough to pay what is owed anyway, so thats it in his case it was a no brainer, he just stoped paying his mortgage, well apparently there were and are so many millions of people all over the country in USA doing the same thing at the time that it just took sooooo long for the banks to get any letters out to the people, a year went by and no letters except the one that he got earlier on saying his mortgage was going up an extra $600 per month, so he and family lived rent free for a year, gave them a great opportunity to
(SAVE) quite a few thousands of dollars, about $20,000 I think, so when they finally just rented there big U-HAUL and made a couple of trips back and forth with all there furniture from Vegas to Seattle, and now they have been living happily in Seattle for I think close to a year now, there credit is shot to hell but you know there are worse things in life,
So I guess the question is well how many people are out there on here that could just do the same thing and just say thats it I dont care anymore, I tried to do the right thing but It didn't work out so now Im doing the (only) thing I can do to help myself? Just walk away, ---- I mean I would be asking myself that (if) in selling the house will just enable me to pay off the mortgage and have nothing left --- then what on earth am I STILL DOING HERE? especially if that is the only thing that is stoping me from fulfilling my dream of going home,
But of course we all know that not everyone are in this favorable spot, some bought there house 10 or 20 or 30 years ago and even if you sell it in this bad market you will still have more money left then what you paid for it so you have to wait for it to sell,
Anyway just my own simple interpretation of a big problem that could apply to quite a few people on here, and looking at it in much the way a small child would, remember Mr Spock, well he always looked at everything so simple and rational and everything had to be logical, feelings were out the door although he WAS half human but remember when the enterprise and its crew came up against problems Captain Kirk would ask Mr Spock how he came up with such an easy solution to everyones problems and he would say that it was the ONLY (LOGICAL) THING TO DO,
Rodney.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123 View Post
Trotty, oh yes all the doom and the gloom --- like watching coronation street for a month or emardale or the other one, pity its not just as easy as switching the channel to have a happier more positive feeling,
On the housing front, it seems that there are so many of you that have this big burden of selling the house before you can make the leap --- take the Jump and come over and come home, ------- I just thought that how many people on here are in the simular posistion as my friends were here in Vegas where they bought there house right at the end of the housing price bubble and they fell into the trap of buying the house on no or little money down and an adjustable mortgage like thousands of others, well you know the story the broker told him like everyone was told the same BS that after 6 months there will be so much equity in the house that you can re-finance and your mortgage payments will go down from what it is now $1700 P.M. to about $800 P.M. ---- well we all know what happened next the house prices started to drop and so no equity was built and the value just started to slip away so now my friend gets a letter which tells him that his mortgage will be going up from $1700 to $2300 PM so the decision my friend made at that point was to hell with this so he said in the same breath to hell with my credit rating too, Hes not going to pay his mortgage anymore and we will see how long it takes for them to boot us out of our house, ---- he didn't pay nothing for a whole year and nothing was done, what did he care he was upside down in his house, if he did by some miracle sometime in the long term be able to sell his house then the proceeds would not be enough to pay what is owed anyway, so thats it in his case it was a no brainer, he just stoped paying his mortgage, well apparently there were and are so many millions of people all over the country in USA doing the same thing at the time that it just took sooooo long for the banks to get any letters out to the people, a year went by and no letters except the one that he got earlier on saying his mortgage was going up an extra $600 per month, so he and family lived rent free for a year, gave them a great opportunity to
(SAVE) quite a few thousands of dollars, about $20,000 I think, so when they finally just rented there big U-HAUL and made a couple of trips back and forth with all there furniture from Vegas to Seattle, and now they have been living happily in Seattle for I think close to a year now, there credit is shot to hell but you know there are worse things in life,
So I guess the question is well how many people are out there on here that could just do the same thing and just say thats it I dont care anymore, I tried to do the right thing but It didn't work out so now Im doing the (only) thing I can do to help myself? Just walk away, ---- I mean I would be asking myself that (if) in selling the house will just enable me to pay off the mortgage and have nothing left --- then what on earth am I STILL DOING HERE? especially if that is the only thing that is stoping me from fulfilling my dream of going home,
But of course we all know that not everyone are in this favorable spot, some bought there house 10 or 20 or 30 years ago and even if you sell it in this bad market you will still have more money left then what you paid for it so you have to wait for it to sell,
Anyway just my own simple interpretation of a big problem that could apply to quite a few people on here, and looking at it in much the way a small child would, remember Mr Spock, well he always looked at everything so simple and rational and everything had to be logical, feelings were out the door although he WAS half human but remember when the enterprise and its crew came up against problems Captain Kirk would ask Mr Spock how he came up with such an easy solution to everyones problems and he would say that it was the ONLY (LOGICAL) THING TO DO,
Rodney.
I can't understand how people can do this, personally.

Fisrt of all, if a mortgage advisor tells you that your mortgage payments will go down by a half after 6 months, who in their right mind would believe this? I'm afraid some of these cases that are laid at the door of banks and mortgage lenders are nothing but instances of greed, and people choosing to "believe" stuff that can't possibly be true and then saying it's not their fault.

As for not paying your mortgage, living in a house for free, and saving up $20,000, I just find that reprehensible and an indictment on US debt and mortgage law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.