Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi and welcome,
You quit in November on Champix, now so its been what 3 months now? how are you doing? I know that champix takes all the craving away for wanting a smoke and it worked out for me until I got the side affects, two months on champix, i stopped taking them 3 days ago and my councilor said that drug should be out of my body completely within 7 to 10 days,
I guess what Im asking is after you completed the course did the craving come back and how bad was it?
Rodney.
Rodney I have never smoked (I am so lucky that it just never appealed) but if the cravings do come back--and I SO hope they do not!--I know that many people have been helped by Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

But maybe you won't need any further help--I gather that the fact you WANT to stop, and set a date to stop, and did stop on that date, will all be really helpful, as so much of it is psychological. (I think this is Carr's approach).

Also, think about how the doctors say after stopping for even one month, or six weeks I think it is now almost?--your lungs and whole body are ALREADY showing the benefits, already cleaner, healthier, and working better...

So, tho it's cheeky of me as I have never suffered with this particular addiction (now potato chips/crisps--that's another story!), I add my voice to everyone else's--

WELL DONE for having come so far! And DON'T go backwards!!

Tina
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Only certain states will let you turn in the UK license for a US one and many want you to have a US license within so many days of taking up residency in that state. Every state has different rules, I don't think the DVML would be up on all 50 of them. But you can use your UK license for driving a rental here in CA, I bet they charge a higher rate though.
Hi Mum very good point you make there,
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Rodney I have never smoked (I am so lucky that it just never appealed) but if the cravings do come back--and I SO hope they do not!--I know that many people have been helped by Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

But maybe you won't need any further help--I gather that the fact you WANT to stop, and set a date to stop, and did stop on that date, will all be really helpful, as so much of it is psychological. (I think this is Carr's approach).

Also, think about how the doctors say after stopping for even one month, or six weeks I think it is now almost?--your lungs and whole body are ALREADY showing the benefits, already cleaner, healthier, and working better...

So, tho it's cheeky of me as I have never suffered with this particular addiction (now potato chips/crisps--that's another story!), I add my voice to everyone else's--

WELL DONE for having come so far! And DON'T go backwards!!

Tina
Thanks Tina, you know the strange thing is that my Sister and I have smoked since we were teenagers but our Mum & Dad never smoked or drank, my Mum is still the same with drink and she wont have more then a glass of wine or gin whenever normally Christmas and her Birthday, I always remember my Dad always had a beer shandy at Christmas, sometimes he was offered another and he would say no better not I might get drunk and my wife would divorce me and then he would laugh, you know he was only joking.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SORRY CHEERS It is what it is
I meant that one for you Barb, not you cheers,
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing good Rodney keep it up we are all behind you. I'll be home in a couple of weeks and my Hubby says that is when we will quit.We are trying to cut down already, so maybe we will have stopped before we get home. Love to read all your posts they are so helpfull we will be heading for Pompey to stay with our son, can't wait.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tina, you know the strange thing is that my Sister and I have smoked since we were teenagers but our Mum & Dad never smoked or drank, my Mum is still the same with drink and she wont have more then a glass of wine or gin whenever normally Christmas and her Birthday, I always remember my Dad always had a beer shandy at Christmas, sometimes he was offered another and he would say no better not I might get drunk and my wife would divorce me and then he would laugh, you know he was only joking.
That's interesting, my parents did both smoke, and yet I never wanted to try...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Can ya knock 10 years off me age please, I don't want to be in a old people's home list with all these old fogeys LOLO!!
haha I missed this and saw the new list and thought 'er summat up with that age for Bee!"
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
haha I missed this and saw the new list and thought 'er summat up with that age for Bee!"
It's my new age for my new life Denise ha ha!!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
She pays me off
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:51 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

Hi and welcome,
You quit in November on Champix, now so its been what 3 months now? how are you doing? I know that champix takes all the craving away for wanting a smoke and it worked out for me until I got the side affects, two months on champix, i stopped taking them 3 days ago and my councilor said that drug should be out of my body completely within 7 to 10 days,
I guess what Im asking is after you completed the course did the craving come back and how bad was it?
Rodney.
the cravings haven't come back and i didnt take the last box of tablets so iv haven't taken them for a while a still feel good..i will say this all the crap they gave me about heighten senses smell taste ect ... none of it has come true in fact the only advantage i see is the money i save . i have put on weight and im probably not a cheerful as i use to be but hey ill die healthy lmao
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I meant that one for you Barb, not you cheers,
Well one should never ask a lady her age so I am going to lie about mine, so there!!

OK folks it's now 15 sleeps away for me.

Spent all day sifting and sorting, OMG soooo much stuff, why oh why did I ever feel the need to buy it all LOL!!

My daughter and her fiancee came up today to pick up some stuff and to help me take down beds, etc.

Young couple will be here tomorrow to pick up my furniture, so now this is REALLY REAL!!!

Before I could have just cancelled my ticket and lost $330.00 for the cancellation and just carried on with my life, but now there is no turning back!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Well one should never ask a lady her age so I am gYoung couple will be here tomorrow to pick up my furniture, so now this is REALLY REAL!!!
Before I could have just cancelled my ticket and lost $330.00 for the cancellation and just carried on with my life, but now there is no turning back!!!!
Come on Barb- Ever onwards! Eleven now, soon be ten Love Don
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Well one should never ask a lady her age so I am going to lie about mine, so there!!

OK folks it's now 15 sleeps away for me.

Spent all day sifting and sorting, OMG soooo much stuff, why oh why did I ever feel the need to buy it all LOL!!

My daughter and her fiancee came up today to pick up some stuff and to help me take down beds, etc.

Young couple will be here tomorrow to pick up my furniture, so now this is REALLY REAL!!!

Scary--but EXCITING!! onward and upward, it is all good, it is all fulfilling the desire of your heart....good luck!

Tina
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Alright here is the updated list I hope I managed to everyone on the list

HOME AT LAST

Islandwoman.................................Living in Frome Somerset
High Tide......................................In Devon waiting to sign contract on home.
ldyinlv........................................... Left on 25th January 2011 now home
jasper123......................................Hom e with his Mum and getting great foot care
dunroving......... ...........................Scotland for now.
DDL.............................................Lo ndon
aes1............................................ Malta
Bevm........... ...............................Decided to live Dawlish area. Bought a home with a sea view.
magistrate.................................. Devon
callé............................................ now in Cheshire travelled home on the QE 2 with her dogs.
Easterndawn................................Scotlan d.. Husband and doggies joining her and Mac in August
Adelia........................................ UK from Australia
scampicat ................................ UK from Spain
HighSpeedGrandma.........................In Hong Kong but back in UK 2011 in January
alba1 ...........................................Been back for 3 years but struggles wonder how she is doing.
reginac7......................................Took his parrot with him.
J.J............................................... Back in June of 2010 to Norfolk
Adelia..........................................Mo ved back to UK from Australia
Marmalade...................................Moved back 2010 would love to hear from her.
dgjamison...................................Living in Ireland.

NEXT DEPARTURES

Beedubya.....................................In Australia leaving 25th February think.
DontheTurner................................Thaila nd.....19th February to Shropshire

ALMOST HOME

Betweentwoworlds...............Now Living in France but inching her way home.

IN THE WAITING ROOM .

PATM...........................................In Italy hoping to go home soon when house sells.
Boodles.......................................... Canada hoping to go home oct/nov 2011
Mummy in the foothills ..................... Northern California
trottytrue........................................ New England ..waiting for house to sell
wawa.............................................m oving back in a few years with 2 Cats and 1 husband.
Taffy..Old Duck ................................Plans for two years 2011
bithbheo.......................................... .Brisbane planning to go home
Gabbygoeshome..............................going home hopefully to North Dorset October 2011/12
Fulwood........................................pla nning to go home Lancashire lad
Tanto........................................... Trying very hard to get back home and she will make it.
Mallory.......................................Goin g home for a couple of months at a time.
Sentosa..................................... Going home as soon as house sells.
Lorac05......................................Going home as soon as apartment sells in Jersey City.
Charleygirl...................................Goin g home one day soon.
robin1234....................................North ern New York...Moving back in future
stllurnin48.. ................................planning to go home
Elvira.........................................On a big island somewhere not sure if going home but gave plenty of good information
black swan..................................Maybe one day
lucyloo1358................................Hoping to move back 2010 wonder if she/he did.
h20............................................Mov ing from Cyprus
shelley748..................................Hoping to move back to UK from Canada
callowman..................................Hoping to move back in 2011
eastkilbride.................................Went back for holiday 2010 wonder what she decided.
ionaskye....................................Wants to go home, how is she doing...
redbarn99............................... , Hoping to go home.
I like tea....................................Moving back within 3 years.
Victor Meldrew...........................Going home soon
SomersetGirl.............................Canada going home hopefully 2011
Cheers.................................... Waiting for the right moment.
FishandChips.............................Californi a
EnglishMan43............................Thinking about it
Celticspirit.................................In TX making plans.
Windsong.................................Hopes to go home in 2013
quoll........................................Would love to go home but family but cant leave family.
Aviva........................................LA wants to go home
Sallysimmons...........................New York making has plans to go home for holiday this year and then eventually move back..
Derrygirl...................................
Well done trotty, you always Amaze me, this is a great update, I have saved it, I heard on Telly last week that New England or was it New Hampshire was getting it worst snow storms in about 100 years, have you managed to dig yourself out yet?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kmthor
the cravings haven't come back and i didnt take the last box of tablets so iv haven't taken them for a while a still feel good..i will say this all the crap they gave me about heighten senses smell taste ect ... none of it has come true in fact the only advantage i see is the money i save . i have put on weight and im probably not a cheerful as i use to be but hey ill die healthy lmao
Yes same with me I dont have better smell or taste like they say, but I feel good/better and yes Im eating a little more, I find I really have to keep a close eye on my eating habits after all I dont want to start looking like a Buffet boy from Vegas do I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.