British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Sentosa Dec 28th 2010 1:18 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9062818)
Sentosa, why can't you take her with you? She looks upon you as her mama.

There are no pets allowed where we are going to live and everything moved so fast that we don't have the 7 months to get her shots etc.even if we could have pets.

windsong Dec 28th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9062881)
I already filled 2, and havent even opened my closet yet..this could get expensive...

This reminds me, I'd love to have an idea what everyone is taking back with them. Is it just clothing and a few momentos perhaps? I have been thinking about this myself. Aside from clothing, I have tons of linens (not bedding) that would be useful over there, a real Tiffany lamp that I could get rewired, two sewing machines, two laptops and a few knick knacks and that's it. I am replacing nothing from this point forward.

I love my Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart kitchen processors but I suppose I can replace them in the UK.

windsong Dec 28th 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 9063032)
There are no pets allowed where we are going to live and everything moved so fast that we don't have the 7 months to get her shots etc.even if we could have pets.

Can't you slow down the move or put her in boarding until she can be flown over? She is part of your family. If where you are going to live won't take her, can you find somewhere else to live?

For myself, if I could not take my pets, I would stay in the U.S. They are my family.

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 2:28 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9063084)
This reminds me, I'd love to have an idea what everyone is taking back with them. Is it just clothing and a few momentos perhaps? I have been thinking about this myself. Aside from clothing, I have tons of linens (not bedding) that would be useful over there, a real Tiffany lamp that I could get rewired, two sewing machines, two laptops and a few knick knacks and that's it. I am replacing nothing from this point forward.

I love my Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart kitchen processors but I suppose I can replace them in the UK.

I am just taking clothes and a few momentos, which is ironic really because most of them are things my parents have brought me over the years from England.... 34 yrs in 4 suitcases....

windsong Dec 28th 2010 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9063087)
I am just taking clothes and a few momentos, which is ironic really because most of them are things my parents have brought me over the years from England.... 34 yrs in 4 suitcases....

I understand, Ldy. It just goes to show material things aren't really worth much after all ;) All the things we gathered over the years didn't really bring us that much happiness.

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 2:30 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9063089)
I understand, Ldy. It just goes to show material things aren't really worth much after all ;) All the things we gathered over the years didn't really bring us that much happiness.

Your health, and a roof over your head are the most important things..everything else is just icing on the cake..:)

windsong Dec 28th 2010 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9063092)
Your health, and a roof over your head are the most important things..everything else is just icing on the cake..:)

Absolutely - and having your loved ones/pets with you. That's all that counts.

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 2:32 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9063094)
Absolutely - and having your loved ones/pets with you. That's all that counts.

:)

Tanto Dec 28th 2010 6:58 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9062921)
Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.

Off the subject!
Anyone else notice how slow the internet is today?

Cheers

Hi Cheers,
I think you can get travel health insurance when you leave the UK - friends did that and it's not expensive. Yes, I had noticed that the internet was slow and not connecting immediately a couple of days ago and a friend in Philly mentioned it too.......
What does it mean?!!
Going back to tea for a minute - I bought some Tetley 'British Blend' tea bags from the supermarket here (LA) - they were about $4 for 80. It's quite palatable, I think!

Tanto Dec 28th 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9063087)

Hi Jackie,
Will you just pay for the excess baggage when you fly back, as Rodney did (he started with 4 then added another, I think)? And, are you moving out of an apartment - I can't remember your situation?

J.J Dec 28th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9062921)
Jackie,
You brought up something I was thinking about today. If you come back for a visit to the USA what do you think it will cost to take out heath insurance for when you visit the USA? I know this will be a concern for you but that is way in the future.
Cheers

On subject of insurance, I just happened to be looking up travel insurance for holidays outside UK
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/ gives a lot of background info, and also you can get online quotes - the only thing they ask for about you is your age and gender !!
At the bottom of the contents list is mention of a Europe Health Insurance card that gets you access to whatever free 'national' insurance is available within a European country.

The UK Foreign Office offers advice on their website to travelers, here is what they say about the USA
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../united-states

Happy travels

charleygirl Dec 28th 2010 12:20 pm

I wonder how much excess Rodney had topay,I have been thinking about how much I can take with me(when I go) I have 22 years of marriage and 13 years of USA life, but I am thinking unless I get lucky and Trotty sells her house and I can put some stuff in her container I will be leaving most behind, but I think of my mum who lost everything she owned in a house fire 3 years ago, she has bounced back and also I look after elderly people in their own homes and recently one of my clients was moved from her 10 roomed farm house to a care facility.........she took just 5 boxes........the rest is going up for auction, so how sad is that......she has no one to leave it too......
And so if I have to start over so be it.

JJ so happy you had a lovely "connected" Christmas, we spent our 10th out of 13 alone, just the 5 of us......it really got to me this year, I skyped with my family in the UK......could her all the laughter in the back ground.....
DDL OMG those pasties look just great!
Jackie good luck with the packing, start sooner rather than later.

Windsong I know you are upset about the cat but everyone has different circumstances...I am sure this lady will find a good home for her.

sallysimmons Dec 28th 2010 3:27 pm

Those pasties look amazing!

JJ, glad your Christmas was so lovely.

It seems that everyone uses pre-made Yorkshire puddings now in England, but I don't know ... For me, there are few greater cooking pleasures than watching my Yorkies rise perfectly through the oven glass. Mine were a triumph this year, even though I do say so myself :D

If it wasn't for our cats, I'd probably be making plans to go home next year. The Mister is really seeming more and more open to the idea, even to the point of reconnecting with some of his oldest friends and trying to contact some of his relatives. But we can't take the cats and so we can't go. I would be willing to put them through the move, provided they could get health certificates, but Mr Sallysimmons is deadset against that idea. He just thinks it will be too much trauma for them. And so we carry on ...

Mummy in the foothills Dec 28th 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9063767)
I wonder how much excess Rodney had topay,I have been thinking about how much I can take with me(when I go) I have 22 years of marriage and 13 years of USA life, but I am thinking unless I get lucky and Trotty sells her house and I can put some stuff in her container I will be leaving most behind, but I think of my mum who lost everything she owned in a house fire 3 years ago, she has bounced back and also I look after elderly people in their own homes and recently one of my clients was moved from her 10 roomed farm house to a care facility.........she took just 5 boxes........the rest is going up for auction, so how sad is that......she has no one to leave it too......
And so if I have to start over so be it.

JJ so happy you had a lovely "connected" Christmas, we spent our 10th out of 13 alone, just the 5 of us......it really got to me this year, I skyped with my family in the UK......could her all the laughter in the back ground.....
DDL OMG those pasties look just great!
Jackie good luck with the packing, start sooner rather than later.

Windsong I know you are upset about the cat but everyone has different circumstances...I am sure this lady will find a good home for her.

BA is really good about excess luggage and if you buy it online ahead of time it costs a lot less than when you are at the airport, but they are all getting sticky about the weights, that was our thing when Ds flew, his cases met the weight (a few ounces over really) but weren't full in the least.

DDL those pasties look good. Ds was asking last night if I could makes some for him.

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tanto (Post 9063344)
Hi Jackie,
Will you just pay for the excess baggage when you fly back, as Rodney did (he started with 4 then added another, I think)? And, are you moving out of an apartment - I can't remember your situation?

I actually share a town house, and I am leaving my furniture for my roommate, dont really have much. I will pay for extra baggage online its cheaper. I think I will end up with 4 suitcases, 1 large and 3 medium. I just hope they have porters at Heathrow to help me, because I am not really supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds..OH well, I am sure I will be able to get help at baggage claim.
Jackie..:)

trottytrue Dec 28th 2010 4:53 pm

Jackie....You can get intouch with your airline and let them know your condition and they will give you all sorts of help. You might need a doctors note but its worth it instead of standing around waiting in longs lines. My brother does it when he does away and my sister in law loves it.

cheers Dec 28th 2010 5:53 pm

The good news is-------------------

If you're moving soon to the UK --------------

The dollar is stronger against the pound. The highest its been for the last 3 months.

So if you could transfer your money today.

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9064109)
I actually share a town house, and I am leaving my furniture for my roommate, dont really have much. I will pay for extra baggage online its cheaper. I think I will end up with 4 suitcases, 1 large and 3 medium. I just hope they have porters at Heathrow to help me, because I am not really supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds..OH well, I am sure I will be able to get help at baggage claim.

Which airline are you flying with Jackie, if BA then great as they are the best for excess, well out of Australia anyway. The US, Canada and South America have different excess baggage rules to the rest of the world.

Trotty is right, you really should let the airline know of your medical condition. They have all kinds of help available, not long now!! :eek:

Videografics Dec 28th 2010 7:47 pm

Provisionally moving to Cornwall.

Why? Because it's quiet and I need a bit of time to "calm down" from the time in the Fatherland.

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9064380)
Which airline are you flying with Jackie, if BA then great as they are the best for excess, well out of Australia anyway. The US, Canada and South America have different excess baggage rules to the rest of the world.

Trotty is right, you really should let the airline know of your medical condition. They have all kinds of help available, not long now!! :eek:

Yes, I am flying BA. Three extra suitcases is $272.00 if I do it online, but I guess when you consider shipping it, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Jackie.:)

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9064411)
Yes, I am flying BA. Three extra suitcases is $272.00 if I do it online, but I guess when you consider shipping it, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Jackie.:)

BA is who I tried to get my ticket with remember but their fare went up $560 in one day. :sneaky: Their excess baggage rate is fantastic compared to other airlines, you have yourself a bargain there Jackie. :thumbsup:

Out of Australia BA have the very best excess baggage rate of all airlines to Europe.

I am flying on Etihad for instance, 23kgs is free, then it is $45 USD per kilo after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9064438)
BA is who I tried to get my ticket with remember but their fare went up $560 in one day. :sneaky: Their excess baggage rate is fantastic compared to other airlines, you have yourself a bargain there Jackie. :thumbsup:

Out of Australia BA have the very best excess baggage rate of all airlines to Europe.

I am flying on Etihad for instance, 23kgs is free, then it is $45 USD per kilo after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I havent even weighed the ones I have managed to pack...yikes..lol

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9064271)
The good news is-------------------

If you're moving soon to the UK --------------

The dollar is stronger against the pound. The highest its been for the last 3 months.

So if you could transfer your money today.

And the bad news is................. I have none to transfer. :cry_smile:

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9064444)
I havent even weighed the ones I have managed to pack...yikes..lol

If your suitcase is over weight, but not more than 70 pounds..its a flat fee of $50 dollars over 70 pounds, it goes as freight at a higher fee...

cheers Dec 28th 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9064448)

See thats what happens with all the high living you have been doing:lol:

ldyinlv Dec 28th 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9064463)

Your not alone Bee..dont feel bad about it..;)

trottytrue Dec 28th 2010 8:51 pm

And the bad news is the house has not sold but by the time it does the rate of exchange will be back up:frown:

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9064463)

:sneaky: I wish!!!

Beedubya Dec 28th 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Videografics (Post 9064406)
Provisionally moving to Cornwall.

Why? Because it's quiet and I need a bit of time to "calm down" from the time in the Fatherland.

Oh it's lovely in Cornwall, by the Fatherland I take it you mean Germany?

Welcome to our lovely thread BTW. :thumbsup:

windsong Dec 29th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9064438)

Bee - How did the job thing turn out? Did you manage to agree on everything so you can continue your job when you get to the UK?

windsong Dec 29th 2010 12:12 am

Originally Posted by J.J (Post 9063561)
I thought hard how to describe it, best one word I can come up with is 'connected'. meaning that we felt part of it rather than outside it.
Christmas Eve we walked to local pub, pub was full, surprising to have little kids in there with there parents. We chatted to strangers, although one recognized me from my walks round the village, we we are beginning to build relationships.
We spent Christmas day at BIL with Johns parents, DDL's dinner plate photo would sum up ours too, including the ready-made Yorkshire. Then we sat and watched telly and had a late cold meats supper. They all live about 1 hour drive from us (Spalding) so we drove over and were taxi for parents to BIL while he cooked.
Travel was fine here in Norfolk/Lincs, roads had black ice but the journey was 10 mins less this time because of no tractors or lorries out on Christmas morning. We came back at night, didn't stay over.
Then Boxing Day we walked to the pub to see Morris Dancers and have a couple beers, pub was chock-a-block. I am so grateful for the no-smoking law.
Now we been invited back over to Johns parents to help finish off the left-overs.
Add to this the carol service in the preceding week and it all feels 'connected', which it never did when we were away.

JJ - I just sighed after I read your message. It sounds idyllic! The word "connected" is a good word. I have never felt connected in the USA. I have swung from feeling homesick and wishing I had never come here to merely going through the motions. After many years, "going through the motions" felt somewhat normal but I never felt connected. When I come here to this forum and am reminded of what it is like to be British, I feel flutters of eager anticipation and excitement inside. I can "relate" to what is said and to the experiences of living in Britain. I also remember how connected I felt when I visited my father in England quite a few years ago now. I went into a deep depression when I returned here. I know that returning is the right move for me so long as I have the courage to make that move back, and if I plan properly, I should.

dontheturner Dec 29th 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9064448)

And the bad news is ...

Although we have some, the Baht has never changed ---- so we get a very bad deal!!!

Taking just over £1,000... that's it - so it's on the streets, for my missus!

cheers Dec 29th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9064708)
And the bad news is ...

Although we have some, the Baht has never changed ---- so we get a very bad deal!!!

But then the good news is you have a couple of pensions

I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from the UK and he retired from the RAF and he got no pension. Something wrong there. I hope you faired better than he did.

ldyinlv Dec 29th 2010 1:04 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9064734)

I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from the UK and he retired from the RAF and he got no pension. Something wrong there. I hope you faired better than he did.

I dont understand that Cheers, my Dad was RAF and he gets a pension..

Mummy in the foothills Dec 29th 2010 1:16 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9064708)
And the bad news is ...

Poor woman she'll freeze to death.:lol:

Mummy in the foothills Dec 29th 2010 1:17 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9064668)
I was in the local grocery store today and, lo and behold, I saw something there I have never seen them stock before - PG Tips teabags! I grabbed two boxes lol! I came home, made a full pot of tea and drank the whole thing by myself lol! They must have picked up my vibes recently :)

So you'll be here all night keeping us amused :lol:

dontheturner Dec 29th 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9064734)

Cheers -No, I got nothing from the RAF, but I worked for the Army as a civilian for 32 years.! So, State plus the MOD one, still only comes to 1K a month - for two of us to live on! So will be eligible for Pension Credit, automatically. And as a consequence, a Council tax rebate.

Mummy in the foothills Dec 29th 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9064109)

You better weigh the suitcases and make sure they aren't overweight, they were being really strict on weight when Ds flew BA. it would be cheaper to add one more case to put all the excess into than pay over on each case.
And have them do all the lifting, let them know you are post surgery and unable to life more than your hand luggage without causing pain and damage. Take a letter from the surgeon. :thumbup:

dontheturner Dec 29th 2010 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9064740)
Poor woman she'll freeze to death.:lol:

Mummy -Yes, I agree, but just think - with her good looks, we shall be buying the Rolls Royce I have my eye on! - I jest!

ldyinlv Dec 29th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9064745)
You better weigh the suitcases and make sure they aren't overweight, they were being really strict on weight when Ds flew BA. it would be cheaper to add one more case to put all the excess into than pay over on each case.
And have them do all the lifting, let them know you are post surgery and unable to life more than your hand luggage without causing pain and damage. Take a letter from the surgeon. :thumbup:

Thanks Mummy, I will do that..I have no way of checking the weight, but I will spread everything out, and hopefully they wont be over..