Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons View Post
Yes, but since Youtube can't police every single video uploaded, they're only enforced if the company chooses to complain.

I know that some networks here employ interns whose only job is to go onto Youtube and find videos that violate copyright. It's a quick and easy process for them to get things removed if they choose.

Doc Martin is on Netflix along with a bunch of other British shows - that's a great service. I think it's $10 a month and then you can watch TV shows and movies right on your laptop any time you want.
Interesting, they seem to pick up on sport events pretty quickly. I'd have thought it would be well worth the networks' money to pay an intern to just keep plugging in key words from every show.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent idea! You could be like Alan Bennett's mistress cafe Ann:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000/oct/29/tvandradio

So it seems that bells on your ankles and a young lover would be a good start
Sally, thanks so much for the link to this fascinating article about the brilliant Alan Bennett. I've read most of his autobiographical writings and am very surprised to learn about the existence of Ann!

One of my favorite books is his one about the Queen and about why reading is important, The Uncommon Reader--a bit cheeky but not offensively so, I feel, and very funny.

Tina
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 View Post
Thanks for the kind words - again, all of you. I am not so much miffed as just not understanding how one person can suddenly turn up out of the blue and change the entire atmosphere of a group of people, and with such absolute vehemence. I can guess at many reasons, and none of them may be correct, and, as I am not a shrink (that great word because I can't spell the right one) I am not even going there. I defended the group in a private message to the most recent irritant, and that just added fuel to the fire. Dunrovin's comments gave me a graceful way out. This HAS become like a chat room, but only since the same recent irritant started posting one liners - look back over the many, many, many pages and you will find wasted space with short questions, and similar short answers. I used to like being on here - it gave a point to my day at times, especially my days wasted in Ipswich, and I still tune in on and off all day now, even if I tend to lurk more than post.I have received a number of private emails, for which I am grateful. And I promise that I will post interesting items when I have them to post!

At the moment life in my side of Frome is still noisy, but not as much in the house any longer as my landlord laid down the law somewhat. (If I did not already tell you, my upstairs neighbour is a guitar playing, alcohol imbibing, falling up the stairs drunk at times, man - who is otherwise quite pleasant! )

This makes my days less fraught, which has coincided with my Pension finally coming into my bank account, both of which occurrences have taken a big bite out of my anxiety. Plus I now know local people, places and events, and finally said to someone yesterday that I now have to dress decently when leaving the flat, as too many people now know my face, and I can't get away with my slobby clothing any longer! Which is a good thing - being known, not having to give up the slobby (comfy) clothes.

Today it is sunny, a sight we have not seen for about a week - it has drizzled, rained or just been a shade off of black (artistic licence here - OK, really dark grey) so having a lighter colour to the sky is great. I shall soon go for a walk. Without an umbrella. Ta ta for now...
Great to hear from you!

Tina
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
This is pretty much true but there is a trade-off involved.

I have found that most Use By dates are very, very short. We do our grocery shopping once a week, on a Saturday, and I would say that about 90% of the food we purchase has a Use By date no longer than 5 days ahead - with the majority of that being only 2 or 3 days ahead.

Certain foods seem to go 'off' very quickly here. I'm thinking especially of bread and bread products like crumpets and hot cross buns (which we eat a lot of in our household!). I've had to bin more than one half-loaf-of-bread due to mold.

Obviously, who wouldn't prefer to eat healthier foods that contain less preservatives - but it does mean more planning with regard to your weekly menu.

I suppose it's not such an issue for people who can visit the grocery store more than once a week.
Hi Denise,
Well to tell you the truth I havent taken much notice of the sale by date but will have to take more care on that in future --- thank you, yes I suppose theres always a trade off, so in USA the manufacturers put a ton of preservatives and other chemicals in just so they and the stores that sale there products have a nice long shelf life, makes a lot of sense I suppose,
But you see thats why you and I now have it good in UK so as you say, we can now eat healthier food and so hopefully live much longer!!!!
Yes I suppose you still living in London would be a bit hard to go shopping more then once a week with the greater driving distances, but people like me who live in a smaller city or town its great I think,
We buy our food once a week too like you, at least the main food like meat, poultry,fish, & veggies, we buy all that frozen and it goes straight in our big freezer as soon as we get home, the other stuff like bread, milk, cakes, hot cross buns, ecells, tarts etc etc, all these things we keep in the fridge with the milk, we buy two 4 pint containers of semi skimmed each week and half way through the week we just go to the high street Iceland and buy another couple of milks and maybe another loaf, bread and milk dont stay around long enough to go bad in our house, but theres always a little bread left before we buy anymore and its been in fridge for a good week and never any sighn of mildew but you must keep anything perishible in the fridge just like we do in the United States right?
I mean I just got into the habit of putting (everything) in the fridge in Vegas, you have too cause while your at work you turn off the A/C and when you get home its about 100 Fahrenheit in the house, food wouldn't last long there would it if you left it out, I even would put my red wine in the fridge along side the white wine, otherwise you drinking half boiled red wine and oh chocolate thats left out in those temps is just one sticky gooey mess so the solution is to just put everything either in the fridge or freezer and I bet you wont have anymore problems with finding mildew on bread.
Take care and again Congrats on your Job and your Hubby too on his,
Rodney.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Hello everyone, and a special thanks to kind words privately from Barb, Vivien, Rosie, Denise B., and of course Avril.

Just an update:

I start a temp job on Monday as a PA at Royal Holloway University and you have no idea how thrilled I am about it. Ever since the first time I lived here (7 years ago) - whenever we would drive by Royal Holloway, Tony and I both would always say, "We want to work there someday!" ... and now, I will be! It's a great job and all indications are that it will turn into something permanent, so I'm very happy. Who wouldn't be, working here:

[http://www.charlesbutler.co.uk/images/RoyalHolloway.jpg

The other news is .... I start my first driving lessons tonight. In fact, the DI will be here in 25 minutes.

Although I have driven (in the U.S.) for 40+ years, I'm a bag of nerves! Driving over here is not what it was 40 years ago so for those of you who are considering telling me how 'easy' it is, it's just going to go in one ear and out the other. The current pass rate on the Practical Exam is something like 43%, so I'm just hoping that I get a friendly instructor who uses positive reinforcement ... and has a sense of humour!!! If I'm still standing after this 2-hour lesson, I'll give a report.

I already have my UK Provisional License, which is a requirement. While there are many different driving schools around, I booked my lessons with the AA, who give a small (emphasis on the word 'small') discount. I have initially booked a block of 5 lessons.

Since I have never driven a manual before - and since our own car is an automatic - I had to find a DI who teaches with an automatic and there was only one in our area. He teaches 7 days a week, from 9am-7pm! Must be a real go-getter.

Over the past few months I have been reading through the driving manual and taking the online practice Theory tests (my Theory test is booked in for early March). There will be 50 multiple-choice questions on the Theory exam, pulled randomly from a bank of 900 questions. After that, there is a 20-minute video Hazard Perception test that you have to pass. If you fail either, you have to retake them both.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. He'll be here soon and Tony just walked in from work and asked me if he should keep his work clothes on for the trip to hospital.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Ok, I'm off!

MANY MANY congrats on this job DDL...great news, and thank you for letting us know..good luck with the driving.

Tina
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl View Post
Derrygal, You can watch it on ITV I-Player. You just have to download Expat Shield first. You can then get the list of all the episodes and how many days each one will be available. http://www.expatshield.com/

If you like Cornwall, you will enjoy seeing all the beautiful scenery and the small village streets. It is actually filmed in Port Isaac.

You can also watch Foyle's War, which I love.
Thanks very much, I will do that. I love Foyle's War. We had it on our local PBS. It is one of my all time favorite programs.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

blackcatsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, thought I'd jump in and introduce myself, I've been following the thread for a while now. I'm living in Los Angeles, have been in the US for 36 years, and am planning on moving back to the UK next year (or sooner if I can swing it).
I made the decision last year; it really was a lightbulb over the head moment. Up until that point I had never contemplated going home. I wonder if it's hitting a certain age that does it? (I'm going to be 56 this year). I have to say I am amazed at the number of people moving back who haven't been back, even for a visit, for some time. I don't know if I would be that brave, and your stories have inspired me.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of food - I think Americans lead such busy lives, they don't really go to the grocery stores more than once a week, hence the shelf life of food is longer. I actually know some people who only go once a month! Can't understand that at all - they must only eat processed food and no fresh fruit and vegetables. That wouldn't be me. I like to take fruit into work as a snack - it keeps me away from all the cr*p in the snack machines. I sit all day and I know if I ate out of the snack machines (chips, cookies, etc) I would be heavier than I am now - it's harder to watch your weight here - driving everywhere, too much junk food, etc.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcatsfan View Post
Hello, thought I'd jump in and introduce myself, I've been following the thread for a while now. I'm living in Los Angeles, have been in the US for 36 years, and am planning on moving back to the UK next year (or sooner if I can swing it).
I made the decision last year; it really was a lightbulb over the head moment. Up until that point I had never contemplated going home. I wonder if it's hitting a certain age that does it? (I'm going to be 56 this year). I have to say I am amazed at the number of people moving back who haven't been back, even for a visit, for some time. I don't know if I would be that brave, and your stories have inspired me.
Welcome 'BCF'
Where are you from in the UK? Are you going back to the same area?

Cheers
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

So get this ... yesterday afternoon my FIL in the UK started having really bad stomach pains and throwing up. Their doctor's office was closed for the weekend, so they called the emergency number.

Within an hour, a doctor came round to the house. TO THE HOUSE!!! (Sorry, just had to repeat that for those of us in the US ). The doc gave him an injection of an anti-nausea medicine and also left his home phone number (HIS HOME PHONE NUMBER!!!) in case it didn't work.

Thankfully it seems to have just been a food poisoning and he's better this morning.

I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I could get a doctor to come to my house. The only thing I can come up with is kidnapping one of their kids.
Come on Sally you must be pulling our leg, Ive never heard of such a thing, and this is in England you say.

When my Mum was in the care facility (usa) Drs would come to visit the patients, It took 10 days one time after an emergency call, 10 days, and his office was less then a mile away.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Barb said: "I love Wales too and as that is where my father's family all came from I feel a very deep connection every time I visit. They were all slate quarry workers around the Bethesda/Llanllechid/Rachub area.

Soooo which part of Wales where you thinking of going to live and do you have a time frame in mind? Is your husband British or American?

Nosey Parker"

Hi Barb, thanks for the welcome! Nosey Parker, that's funny. My Mom was from South Wales, Mid Glamorgan-they keep changing the county names over there, I think they just call it Bridgend now. I don't know a lot of the family history as far as jobs and my Mom has already passed on so I can only remember some of it. At times the men worked in the mines, but other times they had businesses or worked in construction.

I hope we could relocate to the same area, it all depends on how much the houses will cost and if I can find a part-time job. My husband is retired from work, he's American with an Irish born father who has also passed on, but he came from Fermanagh. Quite a few from his family came to the States, but there are still many living in Ireland.
My Dad died 22 years ago but he and all his family came from South Wales Pembroke Dock, I have been there many many times, I love Wales, and one day I hope to see Ireland and Scotland
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Hi all,

I just joined the site and have read every page in this thread and the previous (Part I) since I found the site nearly a year ago.
Welcome SoThere....sounds as if it took you the whole year to read all the pages in Parts 1 & 2??!!!! And I wouldn't be surprised...we are a wordy lot!

When I get a few pages behind, catching up is nearly impossible....

but it's a great group, lovely to have you here.

Tina.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds View Post
Sally, thanks so much for the link to this fascinating article about the brilliant Alan Bennett. I've read most of his autobiographical writings and am very surprised to learn about the existence of Ann!
Me too! Sadly she died of lung cancer in 2009.

This made me laugh:

When asked once by the actor Sir Ian McKellen at an Aids benefit whether he was heterosexual or homosexual, Bennett replied: "That's a bit like asking a man crawling across the Sahara whether he would prefer Perrier or Malvern water."
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcatsfan View Post
Welcome blackcatsfan!

Whereabouts in the UK will you be going back to?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticspirit View Post
Apparently I have quite the accent still, although I feel I talk just like everyone else. Sometimes when judging at a large dog show I need to record my critiques as it is impossible to remember all of the winners like the 400 Chihuahuas I recently judged in OZ. When I get home and have to write reports from the recorder, I am always shocked to hear my Belfast accent!!!!!

That's good to know. Oh wow, 400 little Chihuahuas all at one place, what a delightful sight! Sometimes I listen to the talk programs on BBC Radio Wales to find an accent similar to my Mom's. They had a morning show presenter a few years ago, Howard Griffiths, who took a lot of phone calls and it was great hearing them talk.

My husband needs an interpreter, it's funny when we are watching a British/Irish program or meet someone in person, husband will ask me what was said. He said they talk so fast. So do I, but not with a Welsh accent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.