Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by fulwood
you all know i think that I live in Arizona - can't even begin to explain how bad it is..
Really sorry to hear that.

I think the UK/US difference is that although there are some regional differences in the UK, the housing situation is relatively similar across the country. In the States there are enormous disparities from one state to another. I know the two areas I lived in last have hardly been touched by the housing situation (i.e., prices have not really dropped) - but then they never really got ramped up during the bubble.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Trotty...just posted an update in response to Charleygirl's post.

Probably not a good day for you and Charleygirl to go on one of your road trips to town. or even walking down the driveway for that matter.

Aw thanks for the update High Tide, you must be so excited!!
And yes you remember mine and trottys last trip out in bad weather......
Everywhere is covered in ice but I do believe we may actually be above freezing.
Saw the biggest mountain of snow yesterday OMG.....and at the gas station it is to the top of the street lamp, just the lamp part showing.........its going to be very wet around here when it all starts to melt........
Good luck everyone with their plans and have a great sunday.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I think the UK/US difference is that although there are some regional differences in the UK, the housing situation is relatively similar across the country. In the States there are enormous disparities from one state to another. I know the two areas I lived in last have hardly been touched by the housing situation (i.e., prices have not really dropped) - but then they never really got ramped up during the bubble.
Makes me think Kirsty Allsop can't really be to blame (just teasing!)

Here in our area a realtor told me prices had dropped to 2006 levels. But 2006 levels were silly high compared to what we paid in 1998, so we've been very lucky so far. They do say the areas like mine might still be hit hard in a second dip but so far US GDP is growing, unlike the UK, so we may escape that.

I feel so awful for fulwood and everyone else who got caught in this horrible mess just because of where they happen to live. Of course, the bankers who caused all this are still getting big bonuses here and in the UK, so it's not all bad news
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So get this ... yesterday afternoon my FIL in the UK started having really bad stomach pains and throwing up. Their doctor's office was closed for the weekend, so they called the emergency number.

Within an hour, a doctor came round to the house. TO THE HOUSE!!! (Sorry, just had to repeat that for those of us in the US ). The doc gave him an injection of an anti-nausea medicine and also left his home phone number (HIS HOME PHONE NUMBER!!!) in case it didn't work.

Thankfully it seems to have just been a food poisoning and he's better this morning.

I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I could get a doctor to come to my house. The only thing I can come up with is kidnapping one of their kids.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I didnt enjoy Doc Martin so much tonight.....did you? It was a bit more fraught and over the top than usual. Not so much black comedy as ridiculous scenarious. Maybe it is just me.........
I have never seen Doc Martin. We have 2 PBS channels here and they show a lot of British programs, but neither one carries it. I think I'll get the discs from Netflix. I love Cornwall where the series is set. When I lived in Cheshire and my children were young, we used to go to Cornwall for vacations - my favorite part of England. I always used to think I would retire there.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So get this ... yesterday afternoon my FIL in the UK started having really bad stomach pains and throwing up. Their doctor's office was closed for the weekend, so they called the emergency number.

Within an hour, a doctor came round to the house. TO THE HOUSE!!! (Sorry, just had to repeat that for those of us in the US ). The doc gave him an injection of an anti-nausea medicine and also left his home phone number (HIS HOME PHONE NUMBER!!!) in case it didn't work.

Thankfully it seems to have just been a food poisoning and he's better this morning.

I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I could get a doctor to come to my house. The only thing I can come up with is kidnapping one of their kids.
I have never known doctors to make house calls here in all the years I have lived here. I believe that, on certain occasions, nurses make house calls when someone is released from the hospital after surgery, but they are few and far between. A lady I work with recently had a knee replacement. She was only in the hospital a couple of days. I called her last week to see how she is doing and she told me the physical therapist was coming to her house 3 days a week to make sure she was doing her exercises properly, so some health care workers make house calls - but not doctors. Glad your father-in-law is doing better today. Food poisoning is horrible. I remember getting it back in the 90s. It was funny (well not funny funny, funny peculiar). I had spent about a month back in the UK - and it was during the mad cow disease scare so I didn't eat any beef at all when I was there. When I got back here, I decided I would have a burger. Well, I got food poisoning from that burger and was violently ill!! I rarely eat beef now. I guess there's a lot to be said for being a vegetarian!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I have never seen Doc Martin. We have 2 PBS channels here and they show a lot of British programs, but neither one carries it. I think I'll get the discs from Netflix. I love Cornwall where the series is set. When I lived in Cheshire and my children were young, we used to go to Cornwall for vacations - my favorite part of England. I always used to think I would retire there.
Derrygal, You can watch it on ITV I-Player. You just have to download Expat Shield first. You can then get the list of all the episodes and how many days each one will be available. http://www.expatshield.com/

If you like Cornwall, you will enjoy seeing all the beautiful scenery and the small village streets. It is actually filmed in Port Isaac.

You can also watch Foyle's War, which I love.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Nice one.

Isn't the service amazing!? My in-laws live in South Wales and their GP comes to the house too. Last time he was there, he even brought with him 2 flu shots for them, to save them going into the clinic. I'm not sure if its just for older people (I mean really old like 80s/90s) or if it varies from county to county across the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:30 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I guess there's a lot to be said for being a vegetarian!
I am one, so I could use this opportunity to say 'yes convert!' but I have to be honest - FIL is a veggie and he got ill anyway. He thinks it was a quiche he bought from the local supermarket.

Somersetgirl, that's a good point. My FIL is much older than my own mum, so maybe he gets different treatment. She's never had a house call - then again, she's never needed one. When my dad was dying, the doctor came round every day, but that was 15 years ago.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheers
Was it the same one were the PC was bitten by a poisonous adder in the woods?

The best line was when the doc needed a guide into the woods and they recommended the screwy ranger to which the doc said 'no thanks I don't need a guy who's best friend is a six foot squirrel'
I watched that one last night, and I thought it was a bit over the top, especially the part with the trap...don't want to give too much away
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you may not know but you can get the Doc Martin episodes on youtube and if you go that route be sure and write down the series and the episode number so you can keep trac.

I thought I had see all of them but now the one that was shown last night I haven't seen.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Some of you may not know but you can get the Doc Martin episodes on youtube and if you go that route be sure and write down the series and the episode number so you can keep trac.

I thought I had see all of them but now the one that was shown last night I haven't seen.
This really surprises me - aren't there copyright restrictions?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123....You are correct we do a lot of jumping in and out of cars. If we tried to walk we would never make it. Things are so spread out its just the geography of the country. Food additives are immense in US products. I try to buy fresh so I dont have to worry about it. I think they do it for shelf life. It takes forever for products to get from one part of the country to the other. Have you eaten toasted teacakes yet. They are my favourites with a cup of tea. Your Mums house sounds lovely. I bet you have added years to her life and your own since you gave up smoking.
Do many of your products come from Europe and are they watched to make sure they dont use pesticides on the fruit and veg. Do they have to tell you were the product comes from.

DDL..Last time I was home I found myself throwing lost of food out because it spoiled. I had to rethink what and when to buy.

So far.... Hope you enjoy the forum you will learn alot and get plenty of encouragement.

Beedubya....My Mothers family were from blaenau ffestiniog I swear everytime we visited it was either raining or the whole place was covered in a mist and the slag heaps loomed right up against the houses. I believe they are now covererd in grass. Still got the rain.

High Tide....Hows it going.

Charleygirl....Do you like the freezing rain. Our driveway is one long run of ice. We did have the snow taken off the house roof. I think this is worse than the snow.
All the car hoping has resulted in me growing a big bum, it gets more use than anything else being sat on. I can't wait to park and walk to shop.
Poor you visiting Blaenau, it is a grim place, we used to go and see my best friends Nain and Aunts, it was a strange place, all those slag heaps behind the terrace houses they lived in. back in the 70's they had only just got inside water, one tap over a big square sink in the kitchen and all the electric were on the outside of the walls not buried. It was like stepping back in time.
They used to come on holiday to my friends house for a week every summer, to a council house in Colwyn Bay, they never set foot outside the house, just sat in the front room and had meals served to them on trays
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Derrygal, You can watch it on ITV I-Player. You just have to download Expat Shield first. You can then get the list of all the episodes and how many days each one will be available. http://www.expatshield.com/

If you like Cornwall, you will enjoy seeing all the beautiful scenery and the small village streets. It is actually filmed in Port Isaac.

You can also watch Foyle's War, which I love.
I am not able to download Expat Shield to my MacBook Pro (
Or does anyone know a way?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:25 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by dunroving
This really surprises me - aren't there copyright restrictions?
Yes, but since Youtube can't police every single video uploaded, they're only enforced if the company chooses to complain.

I know that some networks here employ interns whose only job is to go onto Youtube and find videos that violate copyright. It's a quick and easy process for them to get things removed if they choose.

Doc Martin is on Netflix along with a bunch of other British shows - that's a great service. I think it's $10 a month and then you can watch TV shows and movies right on your laptop any time you want.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 6th 2011 at 3:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.