Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by SoThere
Hi islandwoman: I just figured out how to do the "quote" thing.

I'm currently in Ohio, iced in, expecting more ice and snow later today and into tomorrow. Enough already of this winter!

I am, wait for it, and no beating me up from anyone please, a US person!!!

My Mother is from Wales (she's passed on) and with the new changes to the UKBA citizenship pages, I read that I am finally able to get my citizenship. I haven't started the procedures yet, but hope to do that soon. Children of British Mothers have been finally given "Permission" to register as British citizens. So, I hope they will approve me.

I have been to Wales several times and had a summer job in Cardiff- very exciting summer, by the way. Everyone from my Mom's family live in Wales. No immigrants, throughout the world, except for her. She never became a US citizen, proud of her past and shared that with her children.

Not giving my exact age, I fit into the age group of this thread's title.
Where in Ohio are you - North, South, East or West?? You're right about the weather here - I am sick of winter!!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

SomersetGirl says: Welcome So There!! Yes, I like that PB too. I usually leave it out of the fridge until I open it and this makes it a bit easier to stir, as its warmer. Once, its in the fridge, forget stirring it. I like it when I read the ingredients and it says "Just Peanuts".

Good luck with your plans for the UK.

Thanks for the welcome! Sometimes I microwave the pb on defrost if I can't wait for the room temp thaw. Salt-free must be good, too.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:27 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Derrygal says: Where in Ohio are you - North, South, East or West?? You're right about the weather here - I am sick of winter!!

Hi there Dgal,

I don't like to say exactly where (public forum and all), but I am more north and east than south or west. Not near Toledo. Is that okay to be that vague? I sometimes see Amish if I take a drive. Lots of hills to travel on. I live on top of a hill at the moment.

When I first saw the Welsh mountains and hills on my first visit to Wales, I was in love. And, the air is sweeter there than anywhere else I had been.
My husband's family is Irish, from the north. We'd like to visit Ireland once we relocate to Wales.

I confessed to having read the thread from the beginning, but I don't remember all the details of everyone's story. If I mess up, there is no slight intended. I am using these smilies too much, I think.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Derrygal says: Where in Ohio are you - North, South, East or West?? You're right about the weather here - I am sick of winter!!

Hi there Dgal,

I don't like to say exactly where (public forum and all), but I am more north and east than south or west. Not near Toledo. Is that okay to be that vague? I sometimes see Amish if I take a drive. Lots of hills to travel on. I live on top of a hill at the moment.

When I first saw the Welsh mountains and hills on my first visit to Wales, I was in love. And, the air is sweeter there than anywhere else I had been.
My husband's family is Irish, from the north. We'd like to visit Ireland once we relocate to Wales.

I confessed to having read the thread from the beginning, but I don't remember all the details of everyone's story. If I mess up, there is no slight intended. I am using these smilies too much, I think.
If you're near Amish country you're not too far from me. I know a lot of the Amish are down in Holmes County, but there are several out in Middlefield, Ohio. I am about an hour away from Middlefield - actually less than that - about 45 minutes away.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Hi there Dgal,

Welcome to the forum SoThere........Always nice to welcome someone new.
Smilies are fine....much better than frowns. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
If you're near Amish country you're not too far from me. I know a lot of the Amish are down in Holmes County, but there are several out in Middlefield, Ohio. I am about an hour away from Middlefield - actually less than that - about 45 minutes away.
Meant to clarify the above statement - about 45 minutes to one hour drive away (not walking distance)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I just joined the site and have read every page in this thread and the previous (Part I) since I found the site nearly a year ago.

Rodney: I am glad you love New Jersey- I'm a Jersey Girl and your
posts about NJ people made me happy.

I read with anticipation your posts about LV and moving
home. Glad you are now home and happy! Do us a favor- please change your current location under your name, I love
to read where people are now living.

I'm currently in the Midwest. Need to fill in the profile.

I finally got my nerve up to join the site, was going to do it months ago, but anyway...

I decided on my username after seeing it in Cheers' posts. It has two meanings for me: I am already "So there" relocated in my mind and heart and hands on hips, tongue out like a little tantrum we all have from time to time. Although I don't actually do that, have hands on hips thing.

I've laughed and been a bit shocked, I've cheered you people on and now I am here. I wish I knew Welsh, I'd write something appropriate here to end this post.
Hi So There, Welcome sounds as though you found this thread as fascinating as me? Have you decided on a timeline for moving to Wales?

I came to Canada as a child from North East England back in 1966 and I am returning in 8 weeks' time for good to marry a childhood school friend. I found everyone's "countdowns" to be exciting to follow and its great to hear how all those that have made the trip already are adjusting to their new lives. Hope you enjoy also
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
On the subject of food prices I thought I would mention that the Co-op seems to have great specials on meat. Several times we have bought a selection of 3 packages of meat for 10 pounds. Picked up 1lb of hamburger, 3 boneless chicken breasts and a whole chicken which fed 4 people. Pretty good value I think !
Hightide when are you returning to US?

Welcome SoThere!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:23 am
Just a Walk in the Park

High Tide said: Welcome to the forum SoThere........Always nice to welcome someone new.
Smilies are fine....much better than frowns. Look forward to hearing more from you.

And with liberal use of smilies, too! Thanks for the welcome. I keep odd hours, never know when I will be here posting. I'm trying to figure out the time on the posts- looks like London time, maybe?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:30 am
Just a Walk in the Park

Curleytops- How romantic, returning home to marry. When will the wedding be, what month?

As far as relocating for me, I haven't submitted any paperwork in yet, I guess that would take months to get the approval. We thought about going this year, but I don't think that will happen. There's so much to think about.

We have to unclutter and sell the house, get the dog through the Defra requirements, etc. I think we should go by ship and a cold crossing in late autumn doesn't sound nice. Plus, I don't know if I want to look at water, water everywhere. Something to think on a bit more. So, hoping to go before next October 2012. Nothing definite set.

charleygirl- Thanks for the welcome!

Derrygal- There's no way you're going for that long a walk in this Ohio winter. You'd be a walking snowlady.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:38 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

High Tide said: Welcome to the forum SoThere........Always nice to welcome someone new.

And with liberal use of smilies, too! Thanks for the welcome. I keep odd hours, never know when I will be here posting. I'm trying to figure out the time on the posts- looks like London time, maybe?
Hi SoThere and welcome.

If you go into "My Profile" and go to Edit Options you can change the time to your own local time.

I love Wales too and as that is where my father's family all came from I feel a very deep connection every time I visit. They were all slate quarry workers around the Bethesda/Llanllechid/Rachub area.

Soooo which part of Wales where you thinking of going to live in? Is your husband British or American?

Nosey Parker
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Some of you know of my enthusiasm for tea but you might not know about my little side hobby http://TeaInLondon.com
Rosie, have you come across any tearooms in Frome?[/B] My husband and I created/own U]RL]http://GreatTearoomsOfAmerica.com[/URL][/U], but we're also working on a UK version (http://UKTearooms.com) and I need to start building up the database.
Hello DDL, For your English Site, can I nominate the Pump Room, in Bath? if it is still functioning, that is, - as not being there, I cannot confirm it --- Yet. dontheturner.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

You know this talk of Wales and family trees has stirred some dormant part of my brain.....

I saw the other day where Windsong had mentioned her sister doing the family tree and there were a couple of Archbishops, then SallySimmons said hers were all Irish escaping the potato famine.......and mine were all just humble workers too, then this morning SoThere said about loving Wales and as I just wrote in my previous post about my always feeling a deep connection to Wales........with me so far?

So I sat here thinking how possibly SoThere will find somewhere in the family tree she has Welsh blood and how it does give you a certain sense of belonging to take the family history journey. I did mine quite a long time ago and went as far as I could living in Australia (pre Internet for the most part) I have barely looked at it in 10 years but I do still have all my paperwork.

So then I had a lightbulb moment when I did my mother's maternal family one of her ancestors was from CUMBERLAND!!!!!!!! I just ran into the bedroom and got out the file and he was a bootmaker and depending on which census you look at, he was either born in Whitehaven or Dacre.

Is it any wonder I The Lake District so much......ooohhh I feel so happy to know that.

20 sleeps and 1 wake up to go and I am supposed to be packing and sorting and sifting not sitting here on the MBTTUK forum LOL!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:51 am
Just a Walk in the Park

Barb said: "I love Wales too and as that is where my father's family all came from I feel a very deep connection every time I visit. They were all slate quarry workers around the Bethesda/Llanllechid/Rachub area.

Soooo which part of Wales where you thinking of going to live and do you have a time frame in mind? Is your husband British or American?

Nosey Parker"

Hi Barb, thanks for the welcome! Nosey Parker, that's funny. My Mom was from South Wales, Mid Glamorgan-they keep changing the county names over there, I think they just call it Bridgend now. I don't know a lot of the family history as far as jobs and my Mom has already passed on so I can only remember some of it. At times the men worked in the mines, but other times they had businesses or worked in construction.

I hope we could relocate to the same area, it all depends on how much the houses will cost and if I can find a part-time job. My husband is retired from work, he's American with an Irish born father who has also passed on, but he came from Fermanagh. Quite a few from his family came to the States, but there are still many living in Ireland.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Dgal,

Welcome SoThere, I am 38 years away from Belfast and have lived in Texas all this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.