Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

When I first left the US to come back here, a friend said I would have to be crazy to bring my dog back here (it cost me over $5,000 in all, including quarantine). I did it anyway, and she did just fine in 6 months quarantine (unlike some of the other dogs in there). I have since then dragged her over to the US and back again, and it has cost me probably over $20,000, all told to transport, quarantine, kennel, etc., with all those moves so I'm sure my old friend in TN would say I am definitely certifiable. I may be headed back to the US, in which case I hopefully will drag teh poor girl back to the States again.

Did I do it for me, or for her? Maybe a bit of both. Maybe I was being selfish and she would have been happier back with Pat (dog rescue woman) in her back yard in rurual Tennessee instead of being dragged halfway across the globe over the past 10 years.

Others have dragged their children after them all over the globe (or have left them behind). For some of those children, being dragged around has done them a lot of good and from stories on BE, for others it has been quite traumatic for those children. Dragged around, left behind, who knows which is best?

Being an expat involves tough decisions, for us and for those in our care (dogs, cats, kids). In most cases, I think people on here do what they think is best.

Please let's try not to be too judgemental on the actions of others.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
As I have said many times, we all have our own opinions and preferences.
Yes, but yours seem to be the most forceful of all. You have touched many nerves tonight. Can you please end the discussion before this thread also gets divided like it did before with the Healthcare issues. Post your last word, and then change the subject please.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yes, but yours seem to be the most forceful of all. You have touched many nerves tonight. Can you please end the discussion before this thread also gets divided like it did before with the Healthcare issues. Post your last word, and then change the subject please.
Looks like you had the last word, Islandwoman.

I am not the one who kept it going but it is getting quite tiresome.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen the news about Egypt and Australia today? Looks bad for both countries.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:36 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
When I lived in England I was a member of the cat's protection league and I used to foster cat's untill we could find them a good home at the time I had 6 cats of my own, when I lived in Singapore local people brought unwanted cat's and kittens to me, I cannot count the sleepless nights I had feeding day old kittens with a fountain pen tube and at the time having a 3month old baby to feed ( fed the kittens watered down baby formula and I had everyone of them survive).
Wow, you are an amazing person!

Dunrovin, so true. Everyone is doing their best. I sometimes wonder if we're not all certifiable. I look at my friends who haven't moved more than 20 miles from where we all grew up. Their lives are so solid, their friendships all cemented strong, and I wonder if I wouldn't have been better off doing what they did.

I remember an old college professor of mine who, when I told him I was leaving the country, said 'remember that if you're bored here, you'll be bored wherever you go.' He was wrong for many years, but finally his prediction has come true. I am bored now. I am ready for a change again. I just don't think I could ever have been one of those settled people who accept what they have and get on with it. But sometimes I wish I could be.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is going to Hell in a handbasket. I'm beginning to think it has run its natural course.

It began as a supportive thread for people in a common situation and did fine for the first half-million views, but has recently become more of a chat room (hard to keep up because it's more of a real-time conversation than a thread, and so many different topics) and cause for discord and disagreement.

And in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
I probabley know more about caring for cat's and their welfare than you have had hot dinners.

Oh my. How sad. But good luck to you, Sentosa.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
This thread is going to Hell in a handbasket. I'm beginning to think it has run its natural course.

It began as a supportive thread for people in a common situation and did fine for the first half-million views, but has recently become more of a chat room (hard to keep up because it's more of a real-time conversation than a thread, and so many different topics) and cause for discord and disagreement.

And in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".
Well I have had my say, and as it has evidently run its course, I will be off to pastures new. If anyone wants to keep in touch, please email me privately. I have better things to do with my time than listen to one person take over the thread and annoy everyone into oblivion. I have enjoyed the company of many, and been annoyed be a few. Thank you for your kind words over the many months that I have posted on here, and best of luck to those who are yet to return to the UK.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Feb 2nd 2011 at 9:04 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong........Cats are not my favourite but my daughter adopted two cats from the shelter one was a kitten the other was a much older cat. But they are both indoor cats and act more like dogs. When she calls them they come running. When I visit they know I am a stranger and hide from me. But they will run up to her and sit on her lap. I think indoor cats dont have that thing about returning home because home to them is the house. Many people have to think about the expense of taking animals back to the UK with them.

Easterndawn......Glad the train doesnt go further you can sleep and not worry. We are in the middle of that storm a the moment. Its very cold. and I dont know where they are going to put the snow thats fallen we already have massive snow banks. Glad to see that Wee Mac is doing well. I know he will be great company for you. My little Gabby is. She is a black scottie and loves the snow. (Unlike me)

Curleytops......What you do with the household items. Make piles of three. Those you want to keep those you are not sure of and those you want to get rid of. Then re-visit them after a week or so and go through them again. Its amazing what you keep that you suddenly realize you dont need and somethings you were going to toss you decide to keep. Don't leave it to the last I had a neighbour years ago who was a geordie I loved to listen to her talk. My family in the UK live in Lancashire and when I call them I talk with a broad lancashire accent (which I put on) yesterday my niece told me to stop doing it as her husband asked her why she was talking with such a thick Lancashire accent when she got off the phone

Laroc05.....I have no illusions on how things have changed in the UK my family keep my well grounded and let me know exactly what its like. They do moan and groan but unlike others would not leave as they realize its a sign of the times. They hope things will change. I believe its the same wherever you live. I went back to the place we lived for 18 years here in the US. It was once a lovely quiet place with not too much traffic and I loved it but its not the same anymore. Big roads and lost all its charm.

Dontheturner.....After clearing the snow off the deck I could do with a massage from Tim. I think every muscle in my body is aching. I dont want to see another snowflake. Your daughter sounds like a gem. Bet you cant wait to see her again.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have had my say, and as it has evidently run its course, I will be off to pastures new. If anyone wants to keep in touch, please email me privately. I have better things to do with my time than listen to one person take over the thread and annoy everyone into oblivion. I have enjoyed the company of many, and been annoyed be a few. Thank you for your kind words over the many months that I have posted on here, and best of luck to those who are yet to return to the UK.
Rosie,
Please don't leave just because of one person's lack of sensitivity. We love you here and your life has been an inspiration for most of us. Hopefully that person has had her say and if not - just ignore. That's my plan )
Xx
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Oh my. How sad. But good luck to you, Sentosa.
I wish you good luck too Windsong and I truly hope that you will be lucky enough to see your plans through and take your pets with you.I will envy you that. As the time to leave gets closer (and everything moved so quickly)
I get more upset at the prospect of leaving my cats.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong........Cats are not my favourite but my daughter adopted two cats from the shelter one was a kitten the other was a much older cat. But they are both indoor cats and act more like dogs. When she calls them they come running. When I visit they know I am a stranger and hide from me. But they will run up to her and sit on her lap. I think indoor cats dont have that thing about returning home because home to them is the house. Many people have to think about the expense of taking animals back to the UK with them.

Easterndawn......Glad the train doesnt go further you can sleep and not worry. We are in the middle of that storm a the moment. Its very cold. and I dont know where they are going to put the snow thats fallen we already have massive snow banks. Glad to see that Wee Mac is doing well. I know he will be great company for you. My little Gabby is. She is a black scottie and loves the snow. (Unlike me)

Curleytops......What you do with the household items. Make piles of three. Those you want to keep those you are not sure of and those you want to get rid of. Then re-visit them after a week or so and go through them again. Its amazing what you keep that you suddenly realize you dont need and somethings you were going to toss you decide to keep. Don't leave it to the last I had a neighbour years ago who was a geordie I loved to listen to her talk. My family in the UK live in Lancashire and when I call them I talk with a broad lancashire accent (which I put on) yesterday my niece told me to stop doing it as her husband asked her why she was talking with such a thick Lancashire accent when she got off the phone

Laroc05.....I have no illusions on how things have changed in the UK my family keep my well grounded and let me know exactly what its like. They do moan and groan but unlike others would not leave as they realize its a sign of the times. They hope things will change. I believe its the same wherever you live. I went back to the place we lived for 18 years here in the US. It was once a lovely quiet place with not too much traffic and I loved it but its not the same anymore. Big roads and lost all its charm.

Dontheturner.....After clearing the snow off the deck I could do with a massage from Tim. I think every muscle in my body is aching. I dont want to see another snowflake. Your daughter sounds like a gem. Bet you cant wait to see her again.
Trotty. Yes, there is an expense factor but in my case I consider that as part of the moving costs.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 2nd 2011 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen the news about Egypt and Australia today? Looks bad for both countries.
Strange I was going to mention that. R..great minds think alike.
Very volital.

Last edited by cheers; Feb 2nd 2011 at 9:17 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving. I'm a big offernder and I need to go to the other site called chitchat.

Rosie, You had better not leave
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving... There is a chit chat thread over in the "Rovers Return". I think the issue of animals is a big deal with people returning to the UK but each one of us as their own views on it. Its hard for all to agree on that subject You mentioned the fact that you might be coming back to the US could you give us some idea why you are thinking about doing that. You have been in Scotland for quite a while. I think that would be really useful to hear your view on it. Perhaps you could remind people about why you first wanted to go home and how difficult it has been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.