Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving
You can turn off front-loaders mid-cycle these days. Also, top-loaders tend to use more water, more energy, and wear out clothes faster (because of the rubbing of the clothese against the internal mixer meachanism). My front-loader has an extra-hot cycle, I can put in 7.5kg of washing, it has a top spin speed of 1600 rpm, automatically adjusts the amount of water for the load size, and hasn't broken down in 5 years.

Bet you didn't know a man could know so much about washing machines.
Can you still get the combined washer/dryers in the UK? I had one before I left and was amazed that you couldn't get hem here. I prefer front loading machines as I feel they are much gentler on clothes.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Can you still get the combined washer/dryers in the UK? I had one before I left and was amazed that you couldn't get hem here. I prefer front loading machines as I feel they are much gentler on clothes.
Yes you can, but my understanding is the dryers don't work very well - and of course while you are drying, you can't be washing the next load.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can, but my understanding is the dryers don't work very well - and of course while you are drying, you can't be washing the next load.
I think mine was a Hoover and it worked great. I could put the washing on in the morning before going to work and come home and it would be washed and dried. However the only problem I did find was that the dryer couldn't cope well with a large load.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

This is correct--don't expect (as my USC DH will tell you) that the dryer is anything like the US type! It's good to take the worst of the dampness out, and then we usually, when in UK, hang things up on a clothes-drying rack, which if you have central heating can be almost as quick as the dryer--which takes ages by US standards!

Tina
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
My brother just replaced his 18 year old Hoover washer/dryer. The dryer part broke a few years ago, but the washer worked fine. I used to have one of those too. Of course, in the UK, houses are small and most don't have laundry rooms and space (or the lack of it) is important. I prefer the front loaders (I have a 10 year old top loader - still works). The front loaders are more energy/water efficient and I believe wash the clothes much better. You're right - they are much gentler on clothes.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Omg.......I knew the Raineys quite well. It was a big catholic family and lived almost across from Little Flower Oratory. We. Lived on the same side about five houses from Landsdown Road. Some of them went to Dominican just like me. Our house is still standing as it was built in 1900 for the daughter of Harland and Wolfes shipyard owner and the first house ever built with an iron frame just like a ship!! It still stands as my brother worked not to have it taken down for townhouses as it is a big part of Belfast history. One can see it at 106 Somerton Rd. Gorgeous house with a greenhouse, conservatory big fruit garden. Aaaah the good old days.
OMG I can't believe it, my sister wentout with Brendan Rainey, we all really loved him, but alas they broke up, we used to go to his house after the dances (Astor during the big band era) but then it was soft drinks, and also to his house in Swords in Dublin,. what a small world. I havent been to the somerton road for years but will make a point of going back and having a look. The houses were beautiful Victorian Mansons, I still love the architecture I hope it has'nt changed too much.Yes the good old happy carefree days eh. (you went to the Dominican fortwilliam grammer, I went to Rathmore grammer).. I remember when we went to Canada in 1976 my husband was a manager of a Holiday inn, and I remember having lunch with his secretary, she was asking me about Belfast and of course at that time you only heard about the really bad stuff she asked if I had any photos of Belfast and my house, when I showed her some photos of my house and scenery, I actually think she was annoyed I think she thought we all lived in thatched cottages, with pigs and cattle in the kitchen, not her fault just the way the media protrayed us. I laugh now, b ut when I was young it used to really annoy me How small the world has become now
Denise
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney.......Save a seat for me at your table that chicken sounds very nice. What you having for pudding Good price for the chicken.

Do you think you would find this anywhere else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-12276087

Charleygirl..Hope your feeling better. Not long till your visit.

Dontheturner.....I can feel the excitement in you. Those last days must be the worst and the best. Will you be going back for visits to your wifes family.

I often wondered why there was such a lack of pavements and buses in the large towns, they have them but smaller comunities like I live in dont have them it all depends on what the Town itself wants to do. If you dont have a town centre just a sprawling mess that you have nowhere you would want to walk to. They are now putting in walking paths but into forests and play areas. I long to be home and walk or get on a bus to the shops or a train. My friends are always taking trains. We do the 'downeast train' which runs from Maine to Boston which is getting used much more. But its not a fast train.
Yes trotty a seat has been saved at the table for you, then I will set the table for three on that day
for desert we had apple pie and custard, mum liked the whole roast so much she asked if I could do it every Sunday just like we used to do with the whole family when we were young, I said OK no problem,
Mums way too old now to do all that work, she makes a lot of the meals though, and I do a lot of cooking too, Ive always enjoyed cooking, but it is so much more enjoyable when you have someone to cook for who appreciates it, Mum has lived alone for many many years and so have I, and you dont bother with a Sunday roast on your own do you? I never did anyway,
Next week its roast beef & yorkshire pud, brussel sprouts, roast potatoes and parsnips with gravy, beef & pork joints are quite reasonably priced really, but you have to shop around --- I ve noticed that the prices changes dramatically from store to store, more so then in the U.S. --- small example, a 4 pint container of milk at co-op is £1.75 and at Iceland £1
You know while we are on the subject of food the thing I have noticed the most is comparing processed food between U.S AND U.K. I have found that in U.S they ababsolutely pack products with so many iningredients that are mostly chemicals and preservatives-- most that you cant even begin to pronounce,
But here in UK everything I have bought these days in bottles/cans/packets you name it --- you read the iningredients and you are delighted to find that you are just reading the actual food ingredients, and you may now and again find something with one or even two preservative additives, so all your babasically eating is the real food, --- I was always really scared to eat processed food of any kind in the U.S. I would look on the back and see all those chemicals,stuff that you have no idea what it is, stuff with so many letters that you cant possibly pronounce them --- you would have more luck trying to pronounce a city or town or steet in Wales
So for a small example I used to love Toni's Pizza, frozen in box, until I decided to look on the back once, and I counted the ingredients of a supreme pizza,after all the food listed there was another 34 ingredients I think thats right? and all stuff that I could not pronounce or heard of --- chemicals ---- I call them poison !!!!
and I would then look at other pizza brands and they were the same, ---- last week I bought a couple of hawaiian izas in liddles, the only place Ive seen my favorite ham&pinapple so far, ---- I looked at the back at the ingredients and I am now going to read out all of them to you, --- wheat flower,chopped tmatoes ozzarella eese,water, pipineapplehunks,smoked ham,pork,salt,spices,glglucoseysyrupipineappleuice ,vegetable oil,yeast, sugar, salt,dried onion, dried garlic,wheat malt flour,oregano pepper,dried carrot basil, herb extract, ---- thats it folks !!!! not one single prpreservativend no poison chchemicalshat you cant prpronounce|_And no word of a lie this Pizza was the best tasting Pizza I have EVER tasted, not just processed either, the best ever, ---- it tasted so so good,
It was made in GeGermany|_Another example, frozen steak pies, ------ now I wont go through all the iningredientss there are about 12, but basically wheat flower, corn starch, British beef, vegatables, gravy, and the rest are all stuff that is related to food, with names of food as adadditivesnot one single chchemicalith a name you never heard of, --- now im wondering if it could be the EU's ininfluencemaybe they impose strict guidelines on what CRAP a manufacturer can put in there prprocessedood, Regulations, Hmmmmmm what a good Idea
In US we have our regulations but I dont think they are too serious on the prprocessedood,
Rodney.
Sorry about the mixed up words but when I try to correct them it wont let me for some reason,

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 30th 2011 at 6:32 pm. Reason: add words
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

ED sounds like you have good set up for the dog. I live in Arizona and we have dogs and also lot of senior citizens.. I often think as a lot of older folks are home alone all day how nice it would be if someone came up w/program to match a situation like yours i.e. dog and older person. The older person has companionship all day as does dog. Of course you have to match up temprement and how much exercise dogs requires.. anyway..im rambling..Kind of like a doggie daycare you drop off in morning and pick up at night.. our dog is fortunate right now as my brother and i work different shifts so most dog is every alone is 2 hours a day..
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Aww congrats to your niece on the first baby. if you are staying with them for a little while, you'll be a big help I'm sure. I could have done with help both times the first three or four months I was sick as a dog and could fall asleep standing up, no matter where I was.
Oh thats a thought Mummy as I will be there and her mum won't .
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong you may have noticed we have got pretty raunchy on here while you have been at work. Just close your eyes.

Well anyway I have been backtracking the messages /postings looking for the thread for the Queen Mary 2 and I haven't found it so far. I just thought we should ............Google it. I want to bookmark it also.
I've been working so hard in that new job and coming home to nap for the evening and have lost touch here a bit. Not to worry.

Any news about LdynLV in England yet?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Sorry cant spell today.. Oh and I already signed up with a GP, and have my first appointment next week. The GPs office is in the next Village over, so not far at all..
Jackie
HI ldnyinlv!!! I just found your post and I have been waiting patiently for news to hear how you are doing in England. What part are you in? Do you like it so far? Do you miss the U.S.? Yes, yes, I know, but I had to ask
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Rodney, This is making me think of the stimulus package a few years ago. Didn't it include money for such a train? I remember right-wingers making fun of Harry Reid, saying he wanted a train from Las Vegas to Disney World and making the whole thing sound ridiculous. No other advanced country is so backwards about transportation as this one.

Some of my UK friends are going to a concert next month in Cambridge. They live in Manchester. I said 'how long will it take you to drive?' and my friend said "oh we won't drive. We'll be taking the train. It's direct and doesn't take long." I always forget that's possible there!
My family all use the train to visit London to Runcorn, one train straight to Euston station. If you get online you can get cheap fares if you are flexible with the times.

My sister is there now and we spoke on Skype on Saturday night, her fare this time was £8.00 there and £12.00 back a total of £20.00 return!!! The train only makes 1 or maybe 2 stops and she is in London in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Or she could drive for over 6 or 7 hours, not much of a contest is it?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Rodney - Been all packed for three weeks already! This PC is sold, Tim's PC is going to the eldest daughter for future use, (Both going 17th Feb) - last day for me to use them Tim is taking one excess luggage, me I am taking two excess - mostly clothes, But a few tools- only small ones) Given my Whole library (including Lady Chatterley, many Classics, and My Dads Watchmaking books, which he promised to treasure) of over 70 books to my best mate here, - he lived just 3 miles from me, but I only met him once before coming here.(he is making Bagpipes for the King, and teaching playing them - So, as all is taken care of - Phone dissed - Electric and water, have to stay on, for our next door tenants, who then have to pay all bills.Truck is going to ex UK, relative, and we leave here 20th, Air asia 9.45am Internal flight to Bangkok, - cases being taken by family, in our truck, who want to see us off- We leave bangers at midnight , arrive Heathrow 6am on 21st February.(Twelve hour Flight, then alter clocks by seven hours - Daughter has booked big Chaffeured car, to ship us up! Hope to get home by noon -Will speak soon, before this PC closes! regards M8 and all you friends out there - - take care - dontheturner
Oh my gosh, Don, you are really on the ball! I am getting excited just listening to you
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
You'll make someone a good wife
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Hmmm, I bet their iced buns have a unique taste.
I am surprised some interfering Health and Safety Officer hasn't been along to ban Robbie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.