Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:07 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
When I was still living in Vegas I often thought how lovely it would be if I could take a fast train from Vegas to L.A. ------ but noooo way we dont have a train station for 245 miles, so you are forced to go by bus which takes forever, or drive you car and deal with all that traffic coming into LA and what a nightmare that is,
Rodney, This is making me think of the stimulus package a few years ago. Didn't it include money for such a train? I remember right-wingers making fun of Harry Reid, saying he wanted a train from Las Vegas to Disney World and making the whole thing sound ridiculous. No other advanced country is so backwards about transportation as this one.

Some of my UK friends are going to a concert next month in Cambridge. They live in Manchester. I said 'how long will it take you to drive?' and my friend said "oh we won't drive. We'll be taking the train. It's direct and doesn't take long." I always forget that's possible there!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Rodney, This is making me think of the stimulus package a few years ago. Didn't it include money for such a train? I remember right-wingers making fun of Harry Reid, saying he wanted a train from Las Vegas to Disney World and making the whole thing sound ridiculous. No other advanced country is so backwards about transportation as this one.

Some of my UK friends are going to a concert next month in Cambridge. They live in Manchester. I said 'how long will it take you to drive?' and my friend said "oh we won't drive. We'll be taking the train. It's direct and doesn't take long." I always forget that's possible there!
The state of Ohio got money from the stimulus package. There was supposed to be high speed railway built between Cleveland and Columbus and Cleveland and Cincinnati. Then we had the election last November - now we have John Kasich as Governor (Republican - former Wall St banker) and he gave the money back stating the state didn't need it!!!!! Wow - I was mad. I hate driving - I am one of those people who just love traveling by train.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.......Save a seat for me at your table that chicken sounds very nice. What you having for pudding Good price for the chicken.

Do you think you would find this anywhere else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-12276087

Charleygirl..Hope your feeling better. Not long till your visit.

Dontheturner.....I can feel the excitement in you. Those last days must be the worst and the best. Will you be going back for visits to your wifes family.

I often wondered why there was such a lack of pavements and buses in the large towns, they have them but smaller comunities like I live in dont have them it all depends on what the Town itself wants to do. If you dont have a town centre just a sprawling mess that you have nowhere you would want to walk to. They are now putting in walking paths but into forests and play areas. I long to be home and walk or get on a bus to the shops or a train. My friends are always taking trains. We do the 'downeast train' which runs from Maine to Boston which is getting used much more. But its not a fast train.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I bet their iced buns have a unique taste.

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Do you think you would find this anywhere else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-12276087

Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

A word about washing machines in the UK. I was very sad to see you can no longer buy top loading. When we lived in the UK I had a front loader and I hated it. The worst about it was once you had put a load in you could not stop it, I ruined a whole batch of baby clothes because I forgot to change the settings to mild wash. Back then they actually boiled and I think did use more water that those of today. I asked my niece about hers. She said she does not care for it. She just bought a new one that is energy efficient. It uses very little water and does not have a extra hot cycle. She does not think it does a good job of getting clothes clean so she pre- washes some of her heavy soiled clothes before she puts them in the washer. I asked her would she prefer a top loader. Her answer was no as it would use way to much water and as she is on a water meter her bill would sky rocket.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Cheers! Something amiss - I fear! Just opens my Gmail Account page.? dontheturner
Sorry Don I don't have the hang of it yet. Lots to learn.

Try this!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...th+ginger&aq=0

It is called Breakfast with Ginger

Tell me what you think?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Sally yes your right in Vegas they were talking about laying tracks from Vegas to disneyland, as I remember the thought has been there for ,many years, even as far back as the 14 years that I was there, Jackie maybe will remember more about that cause she was living there for 27 years, she remembers Vegas when it was NICE before the big corporations took over everything, when it was still run by the mob, nice little town, Emmmm,
First time I saw Vegas was 1973, loved it !!!!! oh well things change
So yes they talk about building the railroad every few years and of course its voted down and squashed, until the next time, all the time the politicians are getting rich from the bribes from the car industry then they wont let it happen, I wouldn't be surprised if they got bribes from the Japanese too like Toyota, as they are the biggest car & truck sellers in the USA,
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
A word about washing machines in the UK. I was very sad to see you can no longer buy top loading. When we lived in the UK I had a front loader and I hated it. The worst about it was once you had put a load in you could not stop it, I ruined a whole batch of baby clothes because I forgot to change the settings to mild wash. Back then they actually boiled and I think did use more water that those of today. I asked my niece about hers. She said she does not care for it. She just bought a new one that is energy efficient. It uses very little water and does not have a extra hot cycle. She does not think it does a good job of getting clothes clean so she pre- washes some of her heavy soiled clothes before she puts them in the washer. I asked her would she prefer a top loader. Her answer was no as it would use way to much water and as she is on a water meter her bill would sky rocket.
You can turn off front-loaders mid-cycle these days. Also, top-loaders tend to use more water, more energy, and wear out clothes faster (because of the rubbing of the clothese against the internal mixer meachanism). My front-loader has an extra-hot cycle, I can put in 7.5kg of washing, it has a top spin speed of 1600 rpm, automatically adjusts the amount of water for the load size, and hasn't broken down in 5 years.

Bet you didn't know a man could know so much about washing machines.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You can turn off front-loaders mid-cycle these days. Also, top-loaders tend to use more water, more energy, and wear out clothes faster (because of the rubbing of the clothese against the internal mixer meachanism). My front-loader has an extra-hot cycle, I can put in 7.5kg of washing, it has a top spin speed of 1600 rpm, automatically adjusts the amount of water for the load size, and hasn't broken down in 5 years.

Bet you didn't know a man could know so much about washing machines.
You'll make someone a good wife
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
The state of Ohio got money from the stimulus package. There was supposed to be high speed railway built between Cleveland and Columbus and Cleveland and Cincinnati. Then we had the election last November - now we have John Kasich as Governor (Republican - former Wall St banker) and he gave the money back stating the state didn't need it!!!!! Wow - I was mad. I hate driving - I am one of those people who just love traveling by train.
Derrygal see thats just another example of the never ending on going corruption, Former greedy selfish wall street banker, now becomes Governor and (HE) decides to give the money back to the Feds that was going to build the railroad to make it easier for people, I just wonder how much money he got from the Auto industry to kill it completely, --- so everyone has to keep driving there cars forever,
Thats corporate America at work at its finest,
Rodney.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You can turn off front-loaders mid-cycle these days. Also, top-loaders tend to use more water, more energy, and wear out clothes faster (because of the rubbing of the clothese against the internal mixer meachanism).
I think this is one thing all of us "Americans" will have to adjust to when we return. Our society is very selfish and we buy whatever make life easiest for us without understanding the impact on everyone else and on the environment.

People in the UK are much more educated about waste and environmental impact. I expect to get lectured quite a bit until I get the hang of things
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Nooooo I will just get another.
THATS THE SPIRIT,
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Derrygal see thats just another example of the never ending on going corruption, Former greedy selfish wall street banker, now becomes Governor and (HE) decides to give the money back to the Feds that was going to build the railroad to make it easier for people, I just wonder how much money he got from the Auto industry to kill it completely, --- so everyone has to keep driving there cars forever,
Thats corporate America at work at its finest,
Rodney.
Rod as you know we had an election in the past November, now how much did the candidates pay for their campaign? If you ad it up does it go beyond millions of dollars? Now who pays into the campaign coffers? Not you and me or Joe blow. No, it comes from special interest groups. Now when their guy gets into office those groups want a return on their investment. This is what makes my blood boil.

While I'm on my soap! We have some pressing issues that need to be addressed but instead of working on them they spend their time on stupid legislation. Example. They passed a law that the coming era of electric cars must make a noise because the motors make little or no noise????

Finally. Congress is in session but it is like a game. Do let anything pass that the other side will get credit for. The losers are the citizens.

Our system is broken.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well the on going saga of Wee Mac is finally sorted, I have hired a person who owns her a dog walking business called Wag'n'Walk who for £6.50 per day will spend an hour walking and playing with him, my little boy is all grown up and heading to nursery. She has two other clients who are around the same age, a Westie 16 weeks and a little Shitzu who is 13 weeks and she will be getting them all together once a week so they can play and socialise.

I know this might seem very over the top but for me it was important for me to get this sorted this weekend. Now on to the car problem, thank everyone who has give me such good advice , my landlord and a couple of my ex co workers who have husbands are on the look out for a small automatic car for me, so hopefully soon this will be another problem solved. Hope everyone is having a good evening and those who have made it home in the last week are enjoying family and friends.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, ED/Peigi, that's great that you have solved this worry about Wee Mac, and the car issue will soon be resolved too by the sound of it....

Lovely to hear from you...we cherish your updates.

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.