Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Cheers,

The days including the travelling start at 0500 when I get up and finish when I get home at around 8pm. The travelling is a killer, so I am going to look at a used car sooner rather than later, my only problem is that back in Canada I actually knew quite a bit about cars including what an engine should sound and run like. But here I am a bit of a fish out of water and worry about buying a real lemon that will cost me more than it is worth. I have looked on the internet but I am not sure what is a good car and what isn't, some of the name are not what I usually would see back in Canada. My dad owned a Singer Gazelle bought it brand new and remember how comfortable it was.
Hi ED, sorry to hear about your long work day - I'll stop feeling so sorry for myself having heard that, but I know what you mean about leaving a dog at home, it makes you feel guilty.

Car advice:
Something about 5 years old (will be still in good nick, but cheap as chips)
Smaller (less road tax or insurance)
Diesel (better fuel economy and, I think, lower road tax)
A common bog standard make like Ford or Vauxhall (cheaper parts, eaiser to get fixed by cheaper mechanics because they are so common al the mechanics know how to fix them).

Some suggestions: Ford Focus or Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa or Astra, Honda Civic ...
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well that's it folks, I just sold all my furniture in one hit to a young couple just starting out, no negotiating on the price or anything!! (OK the greedy part of me thinks I should have asked for more LOL!!)

But the deal is done now, or it will be when they pay the money into my bank account, I told them they could pick it up a week earlier than I intended so that's it, I JUST HAVE to go home now as I will have nowhere to sit or sleep LOL!!

28 sleeps and I will be on the flip side as Jackie says............

Still no news on the London job, oh how these big corporations move sooooo slowly........
Hey Barb ---- feels good dont it when all your furniture is sold, It worked out good for me cause when I sold my last Item of furniture The next day I moved into my friends house for my last week in Vegas, AND THE COUNTRY,
Hows everything else going? sorting of cloathes for me was a a big one --- ended up with 10 big black 30 gallon bags all full to brim and donated all to charity, ---- the real biggest though was cleaning out and sorting through all my hords of stuff in my garage, but I did get it all done in one whole day in 112 degee weather in the middle of the Summer, some I kept to take with me but most either got dumped or left with my friend Art to make a few dollars on when he does his yard sales when the better weather comes around, --- he always was a great friend to me, I miss him a lot, but we do email each other often and we keep in touch that way,
Take care Barb,
Not long now, dont get too nevous when your flight day comes, but for you its your second time around you did it last year, now why not make this the final move, you know its too far from Australia to England and too much time like 24 hours flying time to be doing that again,
Rodney.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
How long do you have to take it for and does it contain Nicotine?
Not sure on the nicotene but its a three months course and I get councilled every 10 days, and then he gets me another prescription for another two weeks, he gives everyone his cell # so if you need to contact him for support or advice hes there for you,
And its all free, its a government program, the Idea is if they get people to quit then they save in the long run on millions of pounds that they wont have to spend on medical treatment for smoking related illneses, --- makes perfect sense to me --- dont know why they dont do that in America? --- Oh yes of course silly me, the hospitals and doctors would loose too much money, and beside that the greedy health care companies would not cover it,
Ohhhhh sorry we dont talk about that subject anymore do we
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Jackie - Nice to know you are there OK. Even Tippawan ( My Wife) said to me this morning, only three weeks till we leave here! Today , been to see the Chinese New Year in, at a friends house. - she is Chinese, and a Widow , and, a lovely person. Take Care Love dontheturner xxx
Don & Tim,
Not long now, you must be getting very excited, are you ready? have you done everything like tying up every loose end you can think of, and are your cases packed yet, how many cases are you taking each and are you also shipping a lot of stuff over, you probably mentioned this in previous posts but my memory fails me right now,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh and Trotty, you know I had 38 pairs of ear-rings on eBay, it blimmin' cost me $48 for the ads and I didn't sell ONE PAIR!!!

The girl who bought my furniture thought they were gorgeous, they were on a stand on the table, so I folded up the stand and gave her the lot for nowt, stand and all LOL!!!
Good Karma that - you wait and see. Well done on the furniture - now you are on the floor like in college days?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Well done on your furniture...what a big relief, no messing about, just done in one go....brilliant!! Will your DVDs work in England? I know the ones from Canada won't.
As for playing DVDs - if you use your computer to watch them, you can change a setting that lets you play North American ones on it, and then use a UK appliance for the UK ones. I have two laptops, a Mac and a PC, and the PC is s set for the UK, and the Mac for the USA. It's a simple switchover - the machine prompted me to change the settings, and I followed them.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Sorry cant spell today.. Oh and I already signed up with a GP, and have my first appointment next week. The GPs office is in the next Village over, so not far at all..
Jackie
Good to hear your news, even about the 800 cups you have drunk so far! And that you have a GP already - it is so easy to sign up here - makes the last few years of your life seem like another lifetime altogether.

Nice to have you back on this side. Rosie
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Sorry cant spell today.. Oh and I already signed up with a GP, and have my first appointment next week. The GPs office is in the next Village over, so not far at all..
Jackie
Thats great Jackie and a great BIG welcome home to you, good that you signed up for a GP right away, I did the same thing after a few days,
mine is just a 10 minute walk away, do you know I have found that everwhere I want to go Its either walking distance or if I have to take the bus I can travel clear across town in 15 minutes tops --- I love it
I remember when my car broke down in Vegas years ago and I had to take the bus to work for a week while it was getting repaired, I had to take two buses and the waiting was terible, very bad service, it took me two hours to get to work each day and the distance was only 8 miles from my home,
I was so glad to get my car back so then it only took 15 or 20 minutes to get to work
But in Portsmouth (at least) the bus service is absolutly great, most services a bus comes along every 15 minutes, I wonder if its the same all over UK?
On the news a few days ago it said that Portsmouth is a little over crouded and it said our population is now 300,000 people,
Jackie take care and enjoy everything that our home has to offer and that is one hell of a lot you know,
Rodney.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I remember when my car broke down in Vegas years ago and I had to take the bus to work for a week while it was getting repaired, I had to take two buses and the waiting was terible, very bad service, it took me two hours to get to work each day and the distance was only 8 miles from my home,
I was so glad to get my car back so then it only took 15 or 20 minutes to get to work

Rodney.
IMO the bad transportation system in America is another sign of corruption in America. The auto industry controls the public transportation system IMO.
The industry made sure that the PT failed and everyone then had to buy cars.

One thing Rodney you forgot to mention is waiting for the buses for 30 minutes in 106 degree heat. Such joys, not.

You lucky blighter living in England now.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
IMO the bad transportation system in America is another sign of corruption in America. The auto industry controls the public transportation system IMO.

One thing Rodney you forgot to mention is waiting for the buses for 30 minutes in 106 degree heat. Such joys, not.

You know I remember my Dh telling me that when I was first living here, and that the car industry went out of their way to kill the tram and bus system here.
I was completely shocked you can't catch a train in northern California and get off in LA, they put you on a bus in Bakersfield for the end of the journey, no wonder people don't really bother. I thought that would be a great way to go to Disney on holiday and not take a car I was so innocent.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

I remember in one of Bill Bryson's books he described the extensive passenger rail network in the US back at the turn of the 20th century, and how the car simply closed down all the business for rail companies. Not sure why bus transport hasn't really taken off, however. Most towns also aren't designed for walking (no sidewalks) or cycling (no bike lanes and homicidal drivers).
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I remember in one of Bill Bryson's books he described the extensive passenger rail network in the US back at the turn of the 20th century, and how the car simply closed down all the business for rail companies. Not sure why bus transport hasn't really taken off, however. Most towns also aren't designed for walking (no sidewalks) or cycling (no bike lanes and homicidal drivers).
Love his books
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You know I remember my Dh telling me that when I was first living here, and that the car industry went out of their way to kill the tram and bus system here.
I was completely shocked you can't catch a train in northern California and get off in LA, they put you on a bus in Bakersfield for the end of the journey, no wonder people don't really bother. I thought that would be a great way to go to Disney on holiday and not take a car I was so innocent.
This is all documented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_City_Lines

http://thethirdrail.net/9905/index.htm
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ldyinlv....Happy to hear you are doing well and drinking lots of tea. If you want to watch Downton Abbey you can go to the website below and as you are in the UK you can watch it on your computer.

http://www.itv.com/dramapremieres/downtonabbey/
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
For me it is not so much the travel as that Wee Mac is alone for too many hours, I do have a lady who will come in starting Monday to take him out for an hour every day and I am hoping that will help. Unfortunately the car will also be used to go to clients homes and do assesment, but I do get an allowance for that. It has been a very busy two days getting used to how the new office works, they are really into micro management which is great in the long run but not so good when you are new, seemed like all I did was ask questions.

I am sure everything will settled after a few weeks, it is just getting through the next two weeks, Well better go , Mac is wrestling with the sheepskin rug and losing the battle. Barb hope you get a decision on the job soon but I am sure you will make it work either way. Jackie, welcome home I am sure you are soaking up all the love.
Thanks Peigi, I am sure it will be good either way, but I just don't like living in limbo land LOL!!

I was fretting today about where do I send my extra bags to, you know my winter clothes which I will need as I only am allowed 23kgs on the plane and I Skyped my sister and she said to send them to hers and if the London job pulls through she will just drive them down to me as she is looking for a better car than she has, so there was another "problem" overcome........hope all is well for you, Gawd it would have been SO much easier all round if we could all of us in this lifetime settle down once and for all in our adoptive countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.