Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Cheers,

The days including the travelling start at 0500 when I get up and finish when I get home at around 8pm. The travelling is a killer, so I am going to look at a used car sooner rather than later, my only problem is that back in Canada I actually knew quite a bit about cars including what an engine should sound and run like. But here I am a bit of a fish out of water and worry about buying a real lemon that will cost me more than it is worth. I have looked on the internet but I am not sure what is a good car and what isn't, some of the name are not what I usually would see back in Canada. My dad owned a Singer Gazelle bought it brand new and remember how comfortable it was.
It is really hard trying to buy a car on your own, though it looks like you need one.

That loooong day of yours sounds like mine when I used to commute to Sydney before I had my year in England, not sure if I could do it again, though of course if I HAD to I would, not pleasant though.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Pass the soap
Y? Do you need to use it?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheers,

The days including the travelling start at 0500 when I get up and finish when I get home at around 8pm. The travelling is a killer, so I am going to look at a used car sooner rather than later, my only problem is that back in Canada I actually knew quite a bit about cars including what an engine should sound and run like. But here I am a bit of a fish out of water and worry about buying a real lemon that will cost me more than it is worth. I have looked on the internet but I am not sure what is a good car and what isn't, some of the name are not what I usually would see back in Canada. My dad owned a Singer Gazelle bought it brand new and remember how comfortable it was.
I'd get some recommendations of a good mechanic from friends/neighbors, then go see him, tell him you are looking, and can he check out anything you find. He may even have some leads as to whats about and what to avoid.
Ds is on the hunt now too, he and my Mum went to see her mechanic, and he's looking out for Max for a small car for commuting. He had a lovely "girl car" as Ds would call it, it was lime green diesel Renault, he wants something less conspicuous as he'll have to go to see clients in it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's it folks, I just sold all my furniture in one hit to a young couple just starting out, no negotiating on the price or anything!! (OK the greedy part of me thinks I should have asked for more LOL!!)

But the deal is done now, or it will be when they pay the money into my bank account, I told them they could pick it up a week earlier than I intended so that's it, I JUST HAVE to go home now as I will have nowhere to sit or sleep LOL!!

28 sleeps and I will be on the flip side as Jackie says............

Still no news on the London job, oh how these big corporations move sooooo slowly........
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Oh and Trotty, you know I had 38 pairs of ear-rings on eBay, it blimmin' cost me $48 for the ads and I didn't sell ONE PAIR!!!

The girl who bought my furniture thought they were gorgeous, they were on a stand on the table, so I folded up the stand and gave her the lot for nowt, stand and all LOL!!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well that's it folks, I just sold all my furniture in one hit to a young couple just starting out, no negotiating on the price or anything!! (OK the greedy part of me thinks I should have asked for more LOL!!)

But the deal is done now, or it will be when they pay the money into my bank account, I told them they could pick it up a week earlier than I intended so that's it, I JUST HAVE to go home now as I will have nowhere to sit or sleep LOL!!

28 sleeps and I will be on the flip side as Jackie says............

Still no news on the London job, oh how these big corporations move sooooo slowly........
Blimey Bee the time is going to fly by. Do you have much stuff to take home with you?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Blimey Bee the time is going to fly by. Do you have much stuff to take home with you?
No I am just going to take some of my favourite knick knacks, CD's, DVD's, some books (whittled down from about 200 to 30 last weekend), my beading stuff, maybe somebody in England will buy something off me LOL!!

Some household stuff like linen, a few dishes, and pots and pans and that is all!! My boss has said I can keep my boxes and bags in the warehouse and send for them later at cost as I am still in limbo with this job business........
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No I am just going to take some of my favourite knick knacks, CD's, DVD's, some books (whittled down from about 200 to 30 last weekend), my beading stuff, maybe somebody in England will buy something off me LOL!!

Some household stuff like linen, a few dishes, and pots and pans and that is all!! My boss has said I can keep my boxes and bags in the warehouse and send for them later at cost as I am still in limbo with this job business........
Well done on your furniture...what a big relief, no messing about, just done in one go....brilliant!! Will your DVDs work in England? I know the ones from Canada won't.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Well done on your furniture...what a big relief, no messing about, just done in one go....brilliant!! Will your DVDs work in England? I know the ones from Canada won't.
You may be able to buy one of those DVD players that will play dvd's from anywhere in the world. We have one made by Pioneer and it will play any dvd's. My mom collected a whole bunch of dvd's that the newspapers back home were giving away for free and brought them over with her when she came to visit. They play perfectly
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

You may be able to buy one of those DVD players that will play dvd's from anywhere in the world. We have one made by Pioneer and it will play any dvd's. My mom collected a whole bunch of dvd's that the newspapers back home were giving away for free and brought them over with her when she came to visit. They play perfectly
Good to know. Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Yes because they are mostly English anyway LOL!!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Yes or you can go online and find the code cracker to enable your DVD player to play all zones, just key in a sequence of numbers on the remote, that's what I did with my last player...........
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi Cheers,
Hello Peigi. Nothing to do with me, but as a friend, I would advise, after many many years of driving, go for a Ford - lots of dealerships around, and ask for a small engined automatic. say a 1.4 ltr, but with Air Con - Perhaps a Focus- with a short warranty.- If anything should go down, you can get back to Ford. They do backup, (and if necessary, ask the RAC, to check - cost you only £25, to be safe. beforehand)

Love dontheturner xx
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
So true we put our house up for sale the end of November and we sold it yesterday we realised if we wanted to sell it quickly we had to take a bit of a loss on it.My OH worked out how much it would have cost us to rent for the 4 years we were here and we juggled figures. So we didn't make a profit but we looked at the cost of healthcare here and what it would cost if either of us had to go into hospital, my friend just had a bill for $240000
for her operation and stay in hospital. So better to take a controled loss than be hit by a huge medical bill which would wipe us out. Some people on our sub division have had their homes for sale for 3 years and more,but refuse to bring the price down to reflect the market.
That's what I came to realise - I was definitely priced a tad high to begin with so when I was made a low offer last October I turned it down. I came to realise that I needed to lower the price and be more open to a lower offer. So when the one came in this week I accepted it and should be home come mid/late March!!! I have made money as I brought 11 years ago - and it's silly to have been playing hard-ball for a few thousand dollars more!! the process runs smoothly and I can get my head around packing!!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Egypt?
Thats all that on the telly tonight. I guess it sells ad space.

Barb make sure your flight doesn't go over Egypt.

Again the networks are trying to whip up a frenzy with the viewers IMO.

Aren't there some cartoons to run?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.