Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow thanks for that, I never saw a bearded tit before.
It's someone going through the change...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you with houses for sale. Make sure you start off with the right selling price. Our big mistake was to worry about the $ exchange rate. You cannot think about that just first sell and then move to step two. If we had not worried about that we could well have sold it 2 years ago at a lower price. Then we could have rented in the UK and waited for the price of houses to drop. Why didnt I think of that back then.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
For those of you with houses for sale. Make sure you start off with the right selling price. Our big mistake was to worry about the $ exchange rate. You cannot think about that just first sell and then move to step two. If we had not worried about that we could well have sold it 2 years ago at a lower price. Then we could have rented in the UK and waited for the price of houses to drop. Why didnt I think of that back then.
Absolutely! Especially in a market glutted with properties, you can't worry about squeezing every possible penny--or cent--out of it.

The freedom once you've sold it has a value of its own, though not a monetary one perhaps.

Tina
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

True, true, true. When we come to sell, I plan to tell the agent that we want to price it to sell, which I take to mean below anything else comparable in the area. If people come to your house and find it's the absolute best they can afford, they will snap it up. If they can find others that are as good or better, there it will sit.

I think in both the UK and the US, owners have yet to come to terms with how much their houses are really worth versus what they want them to be worth. Two of my neighbors keep putting their houses up for sale, then taking them down for a few months, then re-listing - and always at the exact same price. Dudes, nothing has changed! Likewise, there are houses for sale in Cumbria that have been on for over a year at the same price.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
True, true, true. When we come to sell, I plan to tell the agent that we want to price it to sell, which I take to mean below anything else comparable in the area. If people come to your house and find it's the absolute best they can afford, they will snap it up. If they can find others that are as good or better, there it will sit.

I think in both the UK and the US, owners have yet to come to terms with how much their houses are really worth versus what they want them to be worth. Two of my neighbors keep putting their houses up for sale, then taking them down for a few months, then re-listing - and always at the exact same price. Dudes, nothing has changed! Likewise, there are houses for sale in Cumbria that have been on for over a year at the same price.
So true we put our house up for sale the end of November and we sold it yesterday we realised if we wanted to sell it quickly we had to take a bit of a loss on it.My OH worked out how much it would have cost us to rent for the 4 years we were here and we juggled figures. So we didn't make a profit but we looked at the cost of healthcare here and what it would cost if either of us had to go into hospital, my friend just had a bill for $240000
for her operation and stay in hospital. So better to take a controled loss than be hit by a huge medical bill which would wipe us out. Some people on our sub division have had their homes for sale for 3 years and more,but refuse to bring the price down to reflect the market.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Some regulars have made changes in their lives and we don't hear from them as much as we would have liked.

Eastern got weemac puppy and is maybe switching jobs and buying a car.

Dondunroving has a delima over his occupation.

Jackie will be back when things slow down.
Hi Cheers,

The days including the travelling start at 0500 when I get up and finish when I get home at around 8pm. The travelling is a killer, so I am going to look at a used car sooner rather than later, my only problem is that back in Canada I actually knew quite a bit about cars including what an engine should sound and run like. But here I am a bit of a fish out of water and worry about buying a real lemon that will cost me more than it is worth. I have looked on the internet but I am not sure what is a good car and what isn't, some of the name are not what I usually would see back in Canada. My dad owned a Singer Gazelle bought it brand new and remember how comfortable it was.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jan 28th 2011 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
T Likewise, there are houses for sale in Cumbria that have been on for over a year at the same price.
Sally I'm pretty sure I know the condo you stayed in when you were in Kendal. Did you like it? Would you recommend it to people to live there?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sentosa...So happy your house sold hope all the run up to the final signing go well You are so right we discussed this very issue last night and have decided when we change realtors in March we are going to take the house down to a price under the value that way and especially as summer is coming people will be attacted to it. Cant wait any longer. Life is passing us by. What we lose on the roundabout we gain on the swings
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Cheers,

The days including the travelling start at 0500 when I get up and finish when I get home at around 8pm. The travelling is a killer, so I am going to look at a used car sooner rather than later, my only problem is that back in the UK I actually knew quite a bit about cars including what an engine should sound and run like. But here I am a bit of a fish out of water and worry about buying a real lemon that will cost me more than it is worth. I have looked on the internet but I am not sure what is a good car and what isn't, some of the name are not what I usually would see back in Canada. My dad owned a Singer Gazelle bought it brand new and remember how comfortable it was.
Did you start the new job already?

Cutting down the travel time will be another milestone for you.

I understand your concern on the car issue especially after what you just went through on your KIA. Denise did well because she had a knowledgable friend check their car out before she bought it.

I can visualize that Singer clearly.
Pictures here
http://www.google.com/images?q=singe...w=1440&bih=779

They were such a sweet car and I don't know why they aren't still on the road. They were so nicely finished inside with the wood finish and the leather.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know the drug Rodney was put on to help him quit smoking? (Why don't you ask him?)
It is important because of something I read in todays Las Vegas newspaper.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know the drug Rodney was put on to help him quit smoking? (Why don't you ask him?)
I think he posted the name of the drug - as you seem to have so much free time, Mr. Cheerful, why don't you look back through Rodney's recent postings - then you can tell the rest of us. OR he may have posted the information about the eczema? Either way, you will get educated and then can share your knowledge. See you tomorrow.. Rodney posted a lot and you will be there for hours!!! Ha, ha..
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

True!

How about people no longer naming their son Richard?
OK, here is a true story. Many years ago, I was working in a church kitchen in the USA helping to cook meals for 200 campers. The dessert was being made in huge trays, and was a bread pudding type with sultanas. I forget what it was named, but - me being British, loudly said "Oh, it's Spotted Dick". You have never, I swear never, heard such silence as fell upon the kitchen staff. Absolute silence. At which point I got the giggles, and had to leave. Bad girl...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
It's someone going through the change...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

It is called Chantix in the USA and Champix in the UK and Australia. I emailed Rodney about it when he said he was going on it to quit smoking. It can cause depression in some people and it did for me, though others are fine on it......
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
OK, here is a true story. Many years ago, I was working in a church kitchen in the USA helping to cook meals for 200 campers. The dessert was being made in huge trays, and was a bread pudding type with sultanas. I forget what it was named, but - me being British, loudly said "Oh, it's Spotted Dick". You have never, I swear never, heard such silence as fell upon the kitchen staff. Absolute silence. At which point I got the giggles, and had to leave. Bad girl...
Pass the soap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.