Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
I remember when I left England to come to Canada, my friend who drove us cried all the way to Heathrow. I was so excited about the new adventure, I didn't cry at all. I think I've become much more emotional now since I'm 30 years older and I'm sure I'll be crying when I leave my Canadian friends behind.

Have a good flight, we're all thinking about you and imagining those big big hugs at the airport when your parents meet you
Thank you, I amm excited, but also a huge blubber but...I burst into tears when the woman at the pharmacy told me goodbye today..
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you, I amm excited, but also a huge blubber but...I burst into tears when the woman at the pharmacy told me goodbye today..
OK guys..going to say goodbye now...I will catch you all on the flip side..take care...
Jackie..
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Sentosa so sorry to hear the sale fell through, that must be awful but here's wishing you every success for future viewings. It's true what Trottytrue says, life feels on hold having to keep the house spotless for possible viewings and is very hard work and it is expensive keeping the house maintained. The climate here in southern Italy is very damp sometimes (caused by a wind called Scirocco), we came back from our visit to our son last week to find the hallway and stairs black with mould spots, I opened the door to the main house (on the first floor) expecting a similar scene but it was all fine thank God. The black spots came off with lots of elbow grease with the help of a weak bleach solution and washing up liquid (for crockery) and the use of a brush on a pole which we used to use for cleaning the windows back in the UK. Now the boiler has sprung a leak and we are waiting for a spare part

The recycling here works very well, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday perishable rubbish, paper on Tuesday, plastic on Thursday and glass on Fridays. It gets hot here so it would get very smelly without a regular collection. I am very fortunate in having plenty of space to store the recycling, if I were back in a little terraced house in the UK heaven knows where I would store it until collection. Those wheelie bins are unsightly, I wish you well Islandwoman in getting them disguised in some way in your area. In London we had a fortnightly clean and disinfect service for our wheelie bin (at a cost of about £2.50 each time) done by a private company.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sentosa...I remember you posting and you had had an offer on your house. So very sorry it fell through I know what thats like. Well almost. The last person that came to see our house was supposed to be so interested in it but then after days of waiting to hear from the estate agent I finally called her. She said that she had not heard from the people looking at the house but was going to get in touch with them... that was over a week ago. I would have been half way home if we had an offer but then for it to fall though must have be devastating. Still on to the next one. Goodluck.
It does cost money to keep a house in tip top condition and you are really not living in it I feel my life had been on hold for almost 3 years. Thats the awful part of trying to sell a house. Without selling we could not possibly go home.
When I see those programs that show people selling their homes in the UK they dont have to bother the same way. They have plenty of stuff hanging around and many times they are in the home when people come to look. Here they dont like you in the house. They give you a time and want you to be away. Then they call you when they have left.
Yes, some realtors want you out of the way, I think so the potential buyers can imagine themselves in the house. Our realtor didn't specifically ask me to be away, so I was there. I felt I should be available to answer any questions...I did have to restrain myself from following them around and pointing out all the wonderful aspects of the house!

But we DID have a typed sheet on which we wrote out all the reasons why we had loved living there and raisng our family there. We left a bunch of them on the kitchen table and made sure the potential buyers saw them. If other realtors from the multilisting came as well, they mentioned this was a good idea and picked one up.

As I think I've said before on this topic, I was really struck by the story of an acquaintance and her husband who decided to buy a house after speaking to the owner and hearing him describe all its good points, the location, the things nearby etc...the things you may not be aware of when looking just at the house itself, especially if you're from another community.

So when people asked, I did express myself openly and enthusiastically about the house's benefits--why not?

In the end, the buyer just loved everything about the house--she already knew and loved its location within the town, she loved the paint colors (she was wearing the same colors herself!!), and the clincher was the ground floor walk-in shower, ideal for her elderly parent.

Things other viewers had seen as faults, she didn't mind at all--she wanted that older-style house with charm and character...

There's a buyer out there for each of you! I pray this spring brings them all to your doorsteps!

Trotty, brilliant work on the list, when you have time to do the updated, corrected one, I will certainly save it, a great resource to keep straight who and where everyone is! Thanks...

For the record, my move to France is not being considered as permanent (though it is certainly lovely here!)--in two or three years DH's work assignment will be over and then--much more time in UK at last! I hope. In the meantime, many visits...the Channel is much smaller than the Atlantic!!

Tina
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
You are so right about that. The wheelie bins look awful. They were a topic of a local discussion today as they look so ghastly in front of lovely old houses. Useful, needed - but ugly. I came up with a way to disguise them locally, which may or may not be acceptable - but will cost some money to create the hiding place for them - and will let the town council know soon - I have a meeting with them about another matter.
Rosie, if you can come up with a good way to disguise wheelie bins, that would be AWESOME and you would be a heroine all over England! Our English flat is in a town famous for its architecture...on our own row, the wheelie bins can be hidden in cupboards below ground level (but then are too heavy to haul up the stairs!!!!) but elsewhere in town they completely ruin the look of the old buildings,and it's even worse in pretty Cotswold villages etc....

so, Go FOR IT!

All I can think of is some sort of camouflage fabric to drape over them.....

Tina
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I used to put the food scraps in a plastic bag in the freezer, then just put it outside on collection day. Learned that from living in Florida where all sorts of nasty little creatures loved to dig in the trash. Like bugs and possums (ok, the last ones are cute).
That's what I do with prawn shells and chicken carcasses in the summer, you would not believe the amount of flies in this country.

I will DEFINITELY not be missing those little blighters, I was so surprised to see one little buzzy housefly around my lightbulb in the UK, here we are constantly doing the Aussie salute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussie_salute
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Barb, Should have been around our house, when my second Wife, was brewing beers, and wines! over 70% proof! Had a long row of barrels, with it labelled! used to keep a glass in there, for Private tasting - and she did not drink, so I had to. Beer, Lager, Stout, Canadian Rum, and the strongest of the lot, was Carrot Wine.- More like Licquer took six bottles into work, for my Retirement Party, and the apprentices, had designs, on one of the Younger Girl Storekeepers, and got her tiddly, by saying it was only wine_ Jesus - she ended up on a stretcher! And was taken by ambulance to the Medical Centre! - good job I had finished, or there would have been an enquiry! ( it was ministry of Defence, place!) Take care Gel - dontheturner
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Er Ooh ya beauty ( said in my best Lestah accent) how you sort that lot out??
So Don needs to be added Asap!
Fish and Chips wants to go home.
The Lovely Denise 2 in Ireland
Sally wants to go to Kendal or maybe Frome now hahaha

OOhh Denise I didn't know you talked like that!!

TT my date is February 27th to arrive into Manchester.

Can't believe it myself, only 30 something sleeps and I still don't know about London job.

We have a public holiday here tomorrow for Australia Day, instead of celebrating I think I need to start packing.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OK guys..going to say goodbye now...I will catch you all on the flip side..take care...
Jackie..
Jackie, you know we will be tracking you, hope your mum and dad have Internet..............all the VERY BEST.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Rosie, if you can come up with a good way to disguise wheelie bins, that would be AWESOME and you would be a heroine all over England! Our English flat is in a town famous for its architecture...on our own row, the wheelie bins can be hidden in cupboards below ground level (but then are too heavy to haul up the stairs!!!!) but elsewhere in town they completely ruin the look of the old buildings,and it's even worse in pretty Cotswold villages etc....

so, Go FOR IT!

Tina
I have been wondering about that too Tina, fabric to drape over them, artwork on the bins, flowers, birds, bees........painting them the same colour as the house, painting bricks on them so they blend in............whatever, it can only be an improvement on the current situation.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That recycle list looks too much like USSR era.
I think I would be inclined to join other Brits and just throw my trash into the street.
Hey! Then I will be on your case - my recycling bins got delivered yesterday - no, I did not make a phone call, just used ESP, and bingo! They materialised. Somerset is trying to add new recycling items, this time is is plastic. Pick up your litter, young man!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by between two worlds
so, Go FOR IT!
Tina
Lots of folks in my dsitrict, buy floral Self adhesive Plastic, designed for them, called ''Fablon'', I think from the market place. dontheturner
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow there you are Taffy, I wondered how you are doing, is everything OK?
Thanks Rodney for your concern...everything is on track, house goes up for sale end of April, looking at the end of summer for the move back to Wales...I was wondering in Trotty's list if " Old Duck " meant me!!!!

cheers............Taffy
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Thanks Rodney for your concern...everything is on track, house goes up for sale end of April, looking at the end of summer for the move back to Wales...I was wondering in Trotty's list if " Old Duck " meant me!!!!

cheers............Taffy
Yes Taffy of course Old duck did mean you Im sure cause I have never seen a posting from Old duck
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Do you take them on the bus to get to the recycling bin or are they in the neighborhood?
I read the new government was going review the recycling policies because they were getting out of hand?

Cheers
My Mum just takes all the glass things to a recycling bin every two weeks IN THE CAR we normally have a couple of carrier bags full of bottles by then, our nearest one is not too far away,

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 25th 2011 at 4:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.