Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sentosa...I remember you posting and you had had an offer on your house. So very sorry it fell through I know what thats like. Well almost. The last person that came to see our house was supposed to be so interested in it but then after days of waiting to hear from the estate agent I finally called her. She said that she had not heard from the people looking at the house but was going to get in touch with them... that was over a week ago. I would have been half way home if we had an offer but then for it to fall though must have be devastating. Still on to the next one. Goodluck.
It does cost money to keep a house in tip top condition and you are really not living in it I feel my life had been on hold for almost 3 years. Thats the awful part of trying to sell a house. Without selling we could not possibly go home.
When I see those programs that show people selling their homes in the UK they dont have to bother the same way. They have plenty of stuff hanging around and many times they are in the home when people come to look. Here they dont like you in the house. They give you a time and want you to be away. Then they call you when they have left.
So true - it is so different selling here in the US. I have a showing this evening so will be heading over to the mall to do some window shopping during the time of the showing so the potential buyers don't see me and be put off

I must admit to being surprised when checking out the pics of houses on rightmove.uk when I see so much junk lying around in some of the pics - yet here in the US the place is expected to look like a show house - so difficult to actually live in it but have it on the market.

So several of us are ready to move home but need to get a buyer for our current domiciles - good luck to all of us
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
So much happening
ED I'm glad to hear your Dh will be with you in August. Is it for good? Did the house sell, I can't find where you said.

I'm on countdown with Jackie, we shall stalk her plane. BA from LV to heathrow right? What time?

High tide, I had wondered how the house buying was going. it's all done very quickly.
MY plane is at 8.10pm pacific time..BA
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Are you ready?! I know I wouldn't be able to get any sleep the night before I leave!! Hope the goodbyes aren't too emotional and that you are packed and ready for the next step on your journey!!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Are you ready?! I know I wouldn't be able to get any sleep the night before I leave!! Hope the goodbyes aren't too emotional and that you are packed and ready for the next step on your journey!!!
Today was rough, said bye to my daughter, and a few friends..did it all in one day, seemed like it would be easier..it wasnt. Its done though and I am ready to go..
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That sounds exactly like the set up at Mums, they are going to add a food waste only bin fairly soon, it'll get put out fortnightly. That one will be so stinky, no idea if it'll work.
Yes I have heard about those food waste bins, that would never work here in Australia, it was almost 100 F yesterday!! Imagine...........
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers I believe you are the chief navigator of the tracking/stalking system

Have you locked in Jackie's stats?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Today was rough, said bye to my daughter, and a few friends..did it all in one day, seemed like it would be easier..it wasnt. Its done though and I am ready to go..
OOooh don't Jackie, I am dreading that day the most. Who is taking you to the airport?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OOooh don't Jackie, I am dreading that day the most. Who is taking you to the airport?
My friend and her mother, I should say 2 of my friends, they are wonderful, and took care of me and helped me through all of my Health drama..without them I dont know what I would have done, so that is gonna be a scene at the airport..
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes well done boodles from me too, --- you see where there is a will there is a way.
Yes Rodney, you are absolutely right.. Where there is a will, there is a way... As I said in my previous posts from some months ago, we have been getting rid of stuff for a couple of years or so, even when we could not see our way clear... just knowing it was what we needed to do. And I am probably one of the most organised people on earth, cannot abide leaving everything untill the last minute. Have you seen any improvement in your feet yet?
Elizabeth
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
w=wife
Never heard that version before.

The expression originally came to public notice from the movie Ayesha - She Who Must Be Obeyed (movie with Ursula Undress, I think), made from the novel "She" by H Rider Haggard, and known by all grammar school boys who studied English literature.

Haggard's She was wife to no man.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

This is our town rules on recycling.

PLASTIC ACCEPTABLE
Must be rinsed and crushed
PET and HDPE (#1 and #2) – Look on the bottom of the
container for the plastics number with the recycling arrows
Generally this includes soft drink, liquor, and water bottles
Oil and anti-freeze containers MUST be empty and CLEAN
Water, milk and juice containers
Laundry, bleach and cleaning containers
CAPS must BE REMOVED and placed in the trash.
PLASTIC NON – ACCEPTABLE
Plastic grocery bags Sandwich baggies
5 gallon pails Needles
Lids and caps Plastic Silverware
Any container that held a hazardous material
Brittle dairy food containers
GLASS ACCEPTABLE
Clear, brown, green, and blue glass – rinsed with no caps
Food and beverage containers - rinsed
GLASS NON – ACCEPTABLE
Ceramic cups and plates Light Bulbs
Drinking glasses Heat-resistant ovenware
Mirror and windowpane glass
METALS ACCEPTABLE
Aluminum cans (soft drink, juice & other beverage cans)
Steel (tin and soup cans, metal jar lids)
Aluminum pie tins and clean foil
RINSE all cans and foils for recycling
Aerosol cans (empty) that did not contain paint or pesticide
METALS NON – ACCEPTABLE
Paint Cans Gas Cans
Any container that had previously contained a hazardous or
toxic material
PAPER (CLEAN AND DRY) ACCEPTABLE
Newspaper Magazines
Phonebooks Old mail
Greeting Cards Flyers
Brochures Folders
Paper bags Catalogues
Old Statements Soft cover books
CHIP BOARD / PAPERBOARD ACCEPTABLE
Paper food boxes – NO PLASTIC LINERS
Paper towel or toilet paper rolls (no tissue attached)
Writing pad backs Pizza boxes - not greasy
CORRUGATED CARDBOARD ACCEPTABLE
Any CLEAN waffled cardboard box not exceeding 2’ x 2’
when bundled
PAPER – CARDBOARD NON – ACCEPTABLE
Used tissues Waxed paper
Plastic bags Waxy cardboard
Soiled or greasy paper Juice boxes
HOW TO PREPARE MIXED PAPER FOR COLLECTION
Remove all plastic bags
Remove any non-acceptable items and discard with trash
Place Mixed papers in any Brown Paper Bag, or bundle with
string. Then placed “bagged papers” on top of your
commingled containers and set out on your collection day.
If you have two bins, PLEASE PUT PAPER IN ONE BIN AND
COMINGLE in a SECOND BIN.
Check the weather forecast for high winds or rain and keep
your recyclables in for another week.
Keep your paper separate from the cans, plastic,
and glass. Put commingle (glass, metal, plastic) in
the bin and then stack papers on the top of your
bin; or preferably, use a second bin for paper.
OTHER FREMONT RECYCLING
& TRASH REMINDERS
 Please rinse your recyclables.
 Remove caps and covers and dispose of them in the
trash.
 Bundle paper items together or put them in paper
bags within you recycling bin.
 Plastics must all be CRUSHED before being placed
in your bin. Only # 1 and # 2 plastics are recyclable.
 Corrugated cardboard must be broken down to 2 x 2
x 2 feet square or less and tied (bundled).
 Only clean cardboard is recyclable. Pizza boxes with
any oil or grease on them cannot be recycled. (This
may mean you can recycle the top of the box only).
 NO waxy cardboard is recyclable. This includes waxcoated
juice containers, milk cartons, etc.
 No cardboard with plastic attached to it is recyclable.
This would include oatmeal canisters, peanut/cashew
canisters, or breadcrumb cans which are metal and
cardboard together.
 Foil drink packs are NOT recyclable with curbside
collection. Ellis School has just begun a program.
 No plastic bags can be used within your recycling bin
(ie: for bundling of paper goods).
 All trash must be bagged before putting it in trash
cans or other containers. This will help to eliminate
stray trash from separating and blowing when the
toter is dumped into the truck.
 Styrofoam of any kind is NOT RECYCLABLE.
 Consider taking plastic grocery bags back to the store
for recycling; or getting paper bags. 
Have your recycling containers and your toter at the
curb by 6:30 am on your collection day.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes welcome back --- we have missed you googles, the GANG of us who are returning soon and those who have already taken the plunge is getting real big now, Just recently Island - Rosie has returned --- me almost 2 months now, Jackie is leaving tomorrow with her 4 suitcases just like I had, Barb in Sydney will be I think the next bird to fly next month, David came over found a fantastic looking HOUSE AND COTTAGE, good price too, and so that will be the B&B place where we are going to have our great big reunion, right David? of course we will wait until you and your hubby are back home first Boodles,
TaKE CARE,
Rodney.
You can most certainly count me in on that get together at David's place, we, David and I have Vancouver in common.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boodles
You can most certainly count me in on that get together at David's place, we, David and I have Vancouver in common.
We will have to get busy with those renovations
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DDL
We only have 3 bins here:
  • Rubbish: household trash, food waste, etc.
  • Recycling: plastic (like empty milk cartons); cardboard; shredded paper; soda cans; newspapers; etc.
  • Garden Waste
Rubbish is collected one week, recylcing the next, and then the cycle begins again. (I can't recall off-hand how often the garden waste is collected.)

We tend to go through loads of batteries in our household: cameras, computer mouses, etc. Tesco has a battery recylcing bin right inside their front doors. I like that.
Where do all these bins sit? I can imagine in those small terrace houses not being able to get in and out of your front door.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good time, I'm usually bored after Dd goes to bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.