Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Cheers.... I must be thick but did try to decipher your SWMBOW but just not making it.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Cheers.... I must be thick but did try to decipher your SWMBOW but just not making it.
She
Who
Must
Be
Obeyed .

.. I don't know why he added a W at the end, maybe he was trying to throw you off the scent.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes welcome back --- we have missed you googles, the GANG of us who are returning soon and those who have already taken the plunge is getting real big now, Just recently Island - Rosie has returned --- me almost 2 months now, Jackie is leaving tomorrow with her 4 suitcases just like I had, Barb in Sydney will be I think the next bird to fly next month, David came over found a fantastic looking HOUSE AND COTTAGE, good price too, and so that will be the B&B place where we are going to have our great big reunion, right David? of course we will wait until you and your hubby are back home first Boodles,
TaKE CARE,
Rodney.
Don and Tim leave Thailand 5 days before me.............
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
The hardest thing for me to get used to it seems is Britons recycling of garbage, I really do think its a good thing but you see I was always renting an apartment all the years I was in USA and I just used to dump (EVERYTHING) in my glad trash bag and tied it up and tossed it into the big dumpster, in the US we kind of play around with the whole recycling thing, and we do the best we can and thats it right, I mean we have even got the wheelie bins now for house owners,

But here in UK they really take it all very very seriously, and if you dont conform you are fined by the council,
All households here are given the green wheelie bins, the only things you are allowed to put in them are cardboard/plastic/(empty washed out cans) and plastic soda bottles, and old newspapers etc

------ then we have the big black plastic bags ---- this is where we deposit all the rest of the garbage including perishables, left over food etc etc
------ EXCEPT ANYTHING MADE OF GLASS, ------ ALL BOTTLES & STUFF MUST BE PUT IN A SEPARATE BAG AND STORED IN YOUR HOUSE AND when you want to do it you must take them to a bottle recycling bin, there usually all over in each city, and just dump them in,

But in the UK its the law folks, break it and you will be fined, Apparently all the garbage collectors over here are trained these days to look for and spot the bins or the bags that may have stuff in them that is not allowed to be in there,
Rodney.
PS it dont take long to get used to it really --- well having said that I have just got used to it now, and it took me almost 2 months,
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So much happening
ED I'm glad to hear your Dh will be with you in August. Is it for good? Did the house sell, I can't find where you said.

I'm on countdown with Jackie, we shall stalk her plane. BA from LV to heathrow right? What time?

High tide, I had wondered how the house buying was going. it's all done very quickly.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
I am also trying to get home must sell the house first we hoped to be home by the end of March but the people intereseted in the house changed their mind so back to square one .Hopefully something will turn up soon.
Oh no, that is rotten luck!! So sorry to hear that when you thought you were set.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Eeasterdawn....What great news I am so excited for you. Your husband will be with you in August. That will go so fast. Having Mac and getting a car you really have been a great inspiration to us all. How many time did you fall only to get up and start all over again. You deserve the best. Your OH must be over the moon. Are you going to rent you home in Canada .
Hey? What? When? Where???????

I must have missed a post!!! ED's husband and dogs are joining her, what great news!!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...I should have known that I love to watch "Rumpole".

Mallory...My husband is home feeling much better, my Grandson he has a long road ahead of him but one day hopefully he will be standing on two feet.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Luck Jackie and you also Barb, hope you both have a smooth journey and a soft landing
Thanks Peigi, I have a few weeks yet.

So good to hear your husband and dogs will be here in August, I just KNOW this year is going to be a good one for people on this thread, and this news has confirmed it!!

You must be soooo happy, at long last.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
She
Who
Must
Be
Obeyed .

.. I don't know why he added a W at the end, maybe he was trying to throw you off the scent.
w=wife
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is Easterndawns posting.Thought I had imagined it for a wee while. Couldnt find it.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Dunroving, I am going to be interviewng a person who has been recommended to me, she will come in twice a day and play and walk Wee Mac. As the job includes 30% out of the office travelling, when I get a car I will just take him with me. As for moving, I don't think so, right now my travelling time is 45 minutes on the bus, by train the new location is one hour 15 minutes, so really not a lot of difference. I really like where I live and the rent is very good, also I have friends here now and now feel like I belong. If I was to move I think it might be to around Greenock way and that would just be as far to go. I have hopes of being able to get a car in the next month or so and that will make the trip shorter but I still thinkk I will utilize the train transportation when I am just going to be spending the whole day in the office though.

In regards to it being easier when you get older, in some aspects it does, the things you had to worry about are gone, things like raising your children etc. but you do find that some everyday things take longer and are harder. Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and almost have a panic attack thinking how close I am to retiring and how far I have to go. I think that is what makes it harder this time at least for me.

Wee Mac is such a cheeky chap, into everything and anything but he certainly is entertaing and excellent company. If I can get my credit rating going here, I think my husband will be here in August even if the house does not sell, that will make it almost 2 years since we last saw each other, toooooo long. I am hoping that I will be completely settled here, earning a good living, in a nice flat, and driving a decent car by the time he gets here. I have to remember that only last year at this time, I was not working and things looked quite bleak, I have come a long way and that is what I am thankful for.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

------ EXCEPT ANYTHING MADE OF GLASS, ------ ALL BOTTLES & STUFF MUST BE PUT IN A SEPARATE BAG AND STORED IN YOUR HOUSE AND when you want to do it you must take them to a bottle recycling bin, there usually all over in each city, and just dump them in,
Do you take them on the bus to get to the recycling bin or are they in the neighborhood?
I read the new government was going review the recycling policies because they were getting out of hand?

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Hello everyone,
The hardest thing for me to get used to it seems is Britons recycling of garbage, I really do think its a good thing but you see I was always renting an apartment all the years I was in USA and I just used to dump (EVERYTHING) in my glad trash bag and tied it up and tossed it into the big dumpster, in the US we kind of play around with the whole recycling thing, and we do the best we can and thats it right, I mean we have even got the wheelie bins now for house owners,

But here in UK they really take it all very very seriously, and if you dont conform you are fined by the council,
All households here are given the green wheelie bins, the only things you are allowed to put in them are cardboard/plastic/(empty washed out cans) and plastic soda bottles, and old newspapers etc

------ then we have the big black plastic bags ---- this is where we deposit all the rest of the garbage including perishables, left over food etc etc

But in the UK its the law folks, break it and you will be fined, Apparently all the garbage collectors over here are trained these days to look for and spot the bins or the bags that may have stuff in them that is not allowed to be in there,
Rodney.
PS it dont take long to get used to it really --- well having said that I have just got used to it now, and it took me almost 2 months,
Mmmm seems there are different recycling rules for different council areas, my family seem to have 3 bins and one of them they put bottles in, they don't have to go to a bottle recycling bin. What happens if you don't have a car?

In the Lake District we had a bin "hole" with about 4 or 6 communal bins, no recycling.

In Somerset because I was living in an apartment complex, we had a bin room, with three massive skip type bins, there was a wheelie bin for newspapers and one for bottles. When I moved there, I thought these being older people probably would not drink, phew how wrong can you be!!!! I nearly keeled over from the fumes from the alcohol and the bin was full of whisky, gin, beer bottles and more!!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 24th 2011 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We only have 3 bins here:
  • Rubbish: household trash, food waste, etc.
  • Recycling: plastic (like empty milk cartons); cardboard; shredded paper; soda cans; newspapers; etc.
  • Garden Waste
Rubbish is collected one week, recylcing the next, and then the cycle begins again. (I can't recall off-hand how often the garden waste is collected.)

We tend to go through loads of batteries in our household: cameras, computer mouses, etc. Tesco has a battery recylcing bin right inside their front doors. I like that.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 24th 2011 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We only have 3 bins here:
  • Rubbish: household trash, food waste, etc.
  • Recycling: plastic (like empty milk cartons); cardboard; shredded paper; soda cans; newspapers; etc.
  • Garden Waste
Rubbish is collected one week, recylcing the next, and then the cycle begins again. (I can't recall off-hand how often the garden waste is collected.)

We tend to go through loads of batteries in our household: cameras, computer mouses, etc. Tesco has a battery recylcing bin right inside their front doors. I like that.
That sounds exactly like the set up at Mums, they are going to add a food waste only bin fairly soon, it'll get put out fortnightly. That one will be so stinky, no idea if it'll work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.