Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Barb, My Wife (Tippawan - or Tim for short) is so keen. Cannot wait. All bags ready. - bar squeezing in, Tooth Brushes, and razors, and shaving mirror. Oh! and Top Coats, for the other end!. (We are not even hauling those, from here on the internal flight, the family, are taking them by road in the Pick Up, right to Bangkok) - so we are just bored, till we go, Bar having a cheap haircut, and a couple of massages, before we go. - even gifts are in, and my hat, which not worn since arrival. Wishing our Jackie all the best, and hope to invite her and rod, for a break/get together. Love don
Are you doing a bit of Match making there Don?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Cling film is a similar product in the UK

We call it Glad Wrap in Australia, you should see the looks I get from family wrapping food,

Me: Where do you keep your Glad Wrap?

Them: My what??????
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
We call it Glad Wrap in Australia, you should see the looks I get from family wrapping food,

Me: Where do you keep your Glad Wrap?

Them: My what??????
we call it saran wrap, or glad wrap here in the US
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I grew up in a Commonwealth country, and each home had a framed photograph of the Queen in pride of place in the living room. We were ardent Royalists in those days, not so much now. Losing Diana made a huge negative impact on me, and I have to admit that I am not so interested in them any longer (an attitude that suprises me). Being away for such a long time makes a lot of changes in oneself I guess - some things I was keen on before leaving the UK in the 1980s no longer are of interest to me. And unfortunately, the Royal family and their goings on are one of the things I no longer follow. I am very pleased that the young Royals are being cognizant of what is going on around them, and asking for financial donations to charities instead of useless wedding gifts. Good for them.
I feel a bit like you Rosie. After Diana's death and all the palaver that went on I just kind of lost it with them for the most part. I was never an ardent Royalist anyway but do respect The Queen as head of State and Church and she has always behaved impeccably, however the same cannot be said for her children.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hey thanks Barb for that, prices are quite steep, but if you want it its there right, didnt see miricle whip though, but A.1. steak sauce and different spices they do have, and also if American/Brits miss there pankakes then they have pancake mix ---- just add water, and also Aunt Jeminas Pancake syrip,
Rodney.
We have Miracle Whip in Australia, it's a Mayonaisse, quite white in colour, is that the same one you mean Rodney?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Barbara,

Any news on the London job?
NOooooo, BUT it is chugging along nicely, I have to put in a report to my manager so he can present it to the hierarchy in the ivory tower justifying my position in London, I have been working on it all weekend.

I will give it to him tomorrow and HOPEFULLY will hear this coming week. The job itself is turning out to be much more than I hoped for.

On another note I have FINALLY started moving things, my place looked like a tip already as I have been getting things out of cupboards and drawers and deciding what is going/staying etc. I am using the Rodney method of 4 piles!!

I LOVE books and have/had about 200, by a process of elimination today and utter ruthlessness it is now whittled down to about 30!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:54 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
No Cheers if I were not fortunate enough to be living with my Mum I would no way have enough money to survive on S/S plus a few quid from the British pension for time served, ---- no indeed not, --- not if I had to pay rent for a one bedroom flat, well having said that I could just squeeze by maybe if the rent was say no more then £350 per month (Inclusive of council tax) and not having a car of course and just the free bus pass ----- which incidently I love
PS but try finding a one bedroom flat here for £250 or £300 + council tax, especially in the South of England where I am,

You could go into sheltered housing and get Rent Assistance, many people in the UK live on just their old age pensions. But that is of course people on a full UK pension not when it is coming from another country, you know I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!!!

Hoping to win the lottery before then LOL!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious
Me too!! Though mine would have a lot of mushrooms and a slice of black pudding!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious
Me too!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Did you know that there is a Costco in Glasgow (and many other cities in the UK)?. Perhaps they have them. I believe that you can get a day-pass from Customer Services to look around the warehouse to see if you would want to join.

If you have a US-issued Costco card you can also use it in the UK and other Costco's worldwide (and vice-versa). I think it may even be cheaper to join in the US - the card is issued on the spot - and then use it for the next year in the UK.

http://www.costco.co.uk/Locations_ho...asgow_x_O.html

http://www.costco.co.uk (for all other locations)
None in Northen Ireland alas.......we met a lady in Sydney who had lived in California for 30 years.......she was soooo excited that Costco was opening there. I think it is already in other Australian cities. it is so much better than Sam's.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
None in Northen Ireland alas.......we met a lady in Sydney who had lived in California for 30 years.......she was soooo excited that Costco was opening there. I think it is already in other Australian cities. it is so much better than Sam's.
What is Costco and should I be getting a card? According to somebody on here they are going to have Costco's in the UK........I do hate to miss out on a bargain!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What is Costco and should I be getting a card? According to somebody on here they are going to have Costco's in the UK........I do hate to miss out on a bargain!!

Nay, Nay, Nay lass.
There are about 20 Costco Warehouses in the UK and in order to become a member you have to be in a business (like Quantas)
It is much easier to become a member in the US.
It costs $50 a year for a membership here in the US. We are not a member this year because we don't need to buy in quantity and we like keeping the $50.
There is one in Liverpool and one in Chester. Take your pick.
Let me know if I can answer anymore about them
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Nay, Nay, Nay lass.
There are about 20 Costco Warehouses in the UK and in order to become a member you have to be in a business (like Quantas)
It is much easier to become a member in the US.
It costs $50 a year for a membership here in the US. We are not a member this year because we don't need to buy in quantity and we like keeping the $50.
There is one in Liverpool and one in Chester. Take your pick.
Let me know if I can answer anymore about them
Ah I see like a Cash and Carry warehouse where you have to buy a whole carton of baked beans not just one tin?

BTW there is no "u" in Qantas, because "u" are the YOU!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Place by the sea meant within the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Place by the sea meant within the UK.
Maybe not Torquay itself, but it must be warm down there as they have palm trees, in fact that is the only place I saw them in the UK though that was many years ago it stuck in my head. Probably would be a bit touristy, maybe a nice little village nearby.

Another nice seaside town up North that I never got around to seeing is this one, not sure about the weather though......

http://www.grangeoversands.net/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.