Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
M8 , Miracle Whip is called Whip Cream, and in an aerosol Right? by the Ice cream freezers! Don
Yes Don but we have whip cream in the States too in an aerosol can but it aint the same as Miracle whip, M.W. its for spreading on bread like Mayonnaise,
Now your confusing whip cream in an aerosol to (COOL WHIP) thats what we put over deserts and also on our Pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and Christmas it comes in a round plastic container and if you buy the light cool whip its hardly any calories and Hmmmm yum yum --- AND SO MUCH BETTER THEN plain old whip cream ---- just saying,
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
DDL, I am very fond of the Queen and respect the way she has honoured her vows, I was shopping in a market in South London during the Queen's Golden Jubilee, I think in 2002, a stallholder looked up at the lack of street decorations and said "Look at that! All that woman has done all these years is serve this country - and look at this! no bunting, no flags, no nothing!" As it turned out the actual day was wonderful, we watched her on TV when she came out on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to greet the thousands of wellwishers and view the RAF fly past. Ofcourse I also have memories of my parents' and relatives' attitudes to the Royal Family, some not very respectful but not with any hint they would change anything. Back in the 50's and 60's, the BBC would report that "The Queen/Queen Mother has a slight chill and will not be attending engagements planned for today..." My dear Mum had 8 children to look after whether ill or not and would say "Oh, poor cow, how will she manage".
I remember seeing the Queens coronation in 1953, My Mum said no way, I said yes we the whole family went up there and saw it, she said Noooo we didn't, but anyway I do remember it, but then I also remember the street parties I think they were for the coronation, and all the roads in Portsmouth had big long wooden tables with tablecloths on and lots of food that all the houses would donate, it was lovely, so maybe I am confused about us actually being up in London on the coronation, Hmmmm
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
You just mentioned you left your US bank account open. Do you still have SS paid into that account, and then use your ATM. Just wondering how it all works?
Yes thats exactly right, and I use my debit card at the ATM machine at Barclays bank to with draw my cash --- just like I would do if I had my S/S paid into my UK account,
As I said theres only one fee, the 1% conversion fee, but that is only between BofA and Barclays cause they are linked up together, but if you use your debit card for purchases they charge you 3% conversion fee === so I just pay cash for everything, feels good too, brings back memories way back when that was the only way you could buy things,
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney, Rodney, Rodney.

You are my King of England now.

On the banks. I opened an account with USAA bank and did so because of an American who lives in South Wales and she said it is like having an account with Lloyds or what ever, she just goes to the ATM machine and it spits out the quids. Easy peezy. I don't think they charge any fees for using a machine in the UK. In the US they reimburse any fees that maybe charged by a bank. So thats what I plan on doing. See things change in the UK and a lot is for the better. Just saying.

Rod. Do you think you would be doing alright financially with your SS and pension if you were out on your own?

Rod have you bought any clothing over there for the weather? I want one of the traditional caps if they still make them. How do you like riding the bus?
No Cheers if I were not fortunate enough to be living with my Mum I would no way have enough money to survive on S/S plus a few quid from the British pension for time served, ---- no indeed not, --- not if I had to pay rent for a one bedroom flat, well having said that I could just squeeze by maybe if the rent was say no more then £350 per month (Inclusive of council tax) and not having a car of course and just the free bus pass ----- which incidently I love
PS but try finding a one bedroom flat here for £250 or £300 + council tax, especially in the South of England where I am,
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:50 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes thats exactly right, and I use my debit card at the ATM machine at Barclays bank to with draw my cash --- just like I would do if I had my S/S paid into my UK account,
As I said theres only one fee, the 1% conversion fee, but that is only between BofA and Barclays cause they are linked up together, but if you use your debit card for purchases they charge you 3% conversion fee === so I just pay cash for everything, feels good too, brings back memories way back when that was the only way you could buy things,
Thanks Rodney. I wondered how it all worked!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
No Miracle Whip and Whip Cream are two different things here in the US - Miracle Whip comes in a tub and I really can't think of a similar product in the UK.
Miracle whip is like a fake Mayonaise in a jar isn't it? I just get real mayo. Cool whip is the cream stuff in a tub.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Miracle whip is like a fake Mayonaise in a jar isn't it? I just get real mayo. Cool whip is the cream stuff in a tub.
And if you feel brave:

Clone of Best Foods (Hellman’s) Mayonnaise

1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice (bottled ok)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash white pepper
1 cup vegetable oil, at room temperature

Break egg into a 1-quart glass canning jar. Add lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, white pepper and vegetable oil. Place handheld emulsion blender (turned off) all the way to the bottom of the jar, pressing down over the egg. Turn it on high speed. Hold in place for about 5 seconds until you see mayonnaise begin to form. Slowly lift the blender upward until it reaches the top of the jar, about 5 more seconds. Cover and leave on counter for about 8 hours, to give the vinegar and lemon juice sufficient time to kill any bacteria that may be present in the egg (or use pasteurized egg). Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks. Yield: 1 cup.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dunroving...Have you thought of getting online and looking up ziplog bags in the UK. I love them.

Miracle Whip....http://brands.kraftfoods.com/MiracleWhip/Products.htm

ldyinlv .....Not long to go. I am sure you have lots of mixed feelings but once you get home everything will be fine. The internet really helps and if you have Logitech Vid you can talk and see your friends and family in the US also with Skype. Goodluck

Jasper123...Thankyou for the information on Banks thats very helpful. Still on a roll with the happiness of being home. You are correct I think most of us on here are well aware of the highs and lows of going home and know what we are getting into. I think those of you who are back have given us some idea of what its going to be like. I dont pretend its not going to be difficult leaving behind my family and even thinking about that gives me a churning in my tummy. My sons will be fine but my daughter I will really miss. My Grandchildren have two great parents so they will be fine.

Tyrone...While I found the article very interesting I do wonder whether instead of moving to another country she should have tried moving to another part of England. I read up on Middlesbrough and its not the best part of the country.

This part of her article was good news for me
One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,
Thanks.

Lets see if I had a monthly income of £1000 and found a place up north for £400 a month. That would leave £600 for food, power and such. I may make it?

Living expenses include:

Tax, Home Ins., TV Lic., Water?, Phone/internet, food and elec/gas.

Dunroving,

What do you think of an income of £1,000? Would a person make it without a car.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I read up on Middlesbrough and its not the best part of the country.

Interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer
My son lived in M., among other places, during his two years in England and it was the worse place he lived. Having said that, if a person went 20 miles away it could be nice.

On the interest rates. It seems to me if people are not borrowing then interest rates should go down. Just sayin'.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know why on the forum you can select a 'buddy list'?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rod,

Have you bought any clothes for the weather since you got home?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Tyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Very good point Tyrone, but I think everyone on here keep themselves well informed of life in UK now, and we are not expecting it to be the same as when we left when we were young, and I dont think anyone lives in La La Land, --------------- but thank you for pointing out that you were not the one who wrote that post, and so I understand that you then are still in your ADOPTED COUNTRY? waiting to come home shortly? have you made any plans yet and which country do you live in?
Sorry but I thought that you were still living in UK and that it was you who were wanting to move to New Zealand, --- I stand corrected,
Take care,
Rodney.
Hi Jasper123
I have been enjoying your observations and comments on your return home. I live in Westchester, NY which is about 30 mins ride by train to Manhattan. I left NI after college in the late sixties and landed in NY and stayed a while before travelling and living in Toronto and Sydney in the late 70's and back to NY in 1980. I am eligible to register for Medicare this November and I have decided next year I will retire in NI as I have lots of cousins back there. My main reason for leaving family here and returning is that I have a fear of ending up in a nursing home in NY State. As an american citizen it will be easy to come back and forth to shop and visit friends and my docs for yearly checkups as they are direct daily flights into Belfast. I did look into purchasing a home in NI but I was advised that it was cheaper for me to rent and live of the 401K interest along with my monthly SS so that I have to find out about. I have started keeping a folder with all the great ideas that I see posted and I appreciate all the input and as I gain info on my journey I will go in and list it. I basically have 18 months to go, I am going back in April or May this year for a quick research visit and ask lots of questions, I will not get a pension at home although for a laugh I asked as I worked all my college years in the summer they said I would qualify for 89p! I did not ask anything else as I was LOL with the gentleman. Anyway this is a brief synopsis of my story and I am full of fear but will go foward with the plan as leaving home as a young graduate and returning as a senior person is going to be a challenge so bring it on.
There is no place like home.....look forward to reading your listings as I am really a secret lurker!
Tyrone
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,
Thanks.

Lets see if I had a monthly income of £1000 and found a place up north for £400 a month. That would leave £600 for food, power and such. I may make it?

Living expenses include:

Tax, Home Ins., TV Lic., Water?, Phone/internet, food and elec/gas.

Dunroving,

What do you think of an income of £1,000? Would a person make it without a car
I think I may have previously posted a list of my expenses last year, excluding things specific to my situation (e.g., dog health care insurance), but here it is again, with notes where necessary:

Council tax 1,068.76
Entertainment 1,311.05 (I splashed out on new TV, Blu-Ray, etc., normally this would be close to zero)
Groceries 1,791.32
Household 692.29 (this would be household tools, supplies, etc., so some are one-offs, some are recurring costs, including garden maintenance costs)
Insurance 1,393.57 (this includes a stack of insurance policies you wouldn't have)
Luxuries (clothes, books, magazines) 146.08
Medical (mostly chiropracter, etc., you wouldn't have) 863.02
Misc (this is cash expenditures - small grocery purchases, newspaper, lunch at work, and about £1,500 for dog-walking) 4,456.02
Utilities 2,000.96
Vacation 257.90

- sorry about the formatting. Some of these expenses wouldn't apply to your situation, and the "Misc" category (cash withdrawals, essentially, spent on everyday stuff) isn't especially informative, but hopefully it will be of some help. I tend to treat my grad students to lunch quite regularly so that also bumps up my "Misc" category - you can probably reduce that to about £1,000 if you were to include only cash purchases like newspapers, bacon butty at the local cafe, and other minor purchases. I typically live quite frugally, don't splash out - so the TV, etc., for last year is highly unusual for me.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 22nd 2011 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Hi Jasper123
I have been enjoying your observations and comments on your return home. I live in Westchester, NY which is about 30 mins ride by train to Manhattan. I left NI after college in the late sixties and landed in NY and stayed a while before travelling and living in Toronto and Sydney in the late 70's and back to NY in 1980. I am eligible to register for Medicare this November and I have decided next year I will retire in NI as I have lots of cousins back there. My main reason for leaving family here and returning is that I have a fear of ending up in a nursing home in NY State. As an american citizen it will be easy to come back and forth to shop and visit friends and my docs for yearly checkups as they are direct daily flights into Belfast. I did look into purchasing a home in NI but I was advised that it was cheaper for me to rent and live of the 401K interest along with my monthly SS so that I have to find out about. I have started keeping a folder with all the great ideas that I see posted and I appreciate all the input and as I gain info on my journey I will go in and list it. I basically have 18 months to go, I am going back in April or May this year for a quick research visit and ask lots of questions, I will not get a pension at home although for a laugh I asked as I worked all my college years in the summer they said I would qualify for 89p! I did not ask anything else as I was LOL with the gentleman. Anyway this is a brief synopsis of my story and I am full of fear but will go foward with the plan as leaving home as a young graduate and returning as a senior person is going to be a challenge so bring it on.
There is no place like home.....look forward to reading your listings as I am really a secret lurker!
Tyrone
Just something that you may wish to check into. I had heard that you can opt-out of Medicare and that by doing so your Social Security check is more. Haven't checked into it but planning to come over for an annual check-up may be costly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.