Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ha Ha TT we had a family holiday in Talacre last summer, there were about 12 of us in 3 caravans, God we had some laughs and Talacre hasn't changed a bit for about the last 30 years LOL!!
You were brave.
We used to avoid those places in summer when we were younger, especially after dark all those drunk holiday makers, although they were always fun in the Rhyl night clubs when I was in Nurse training.

We went to a caravan in Morcambe/Heysham in summer of 2009, then we remembered why the last time we did that was in 1968 in Cannock. Still it was a bit of fun and the pub down the road was good.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Barb, just for the record I personally wouldn't have retro in my home - it's not me - but something like that little caravan would be adorable as my alter-ego playhouse.

My taste is a bit eclectic, similar to Sally S. I like an assortment of things that look like they've been inherited over time, a mismatched collection that somehow or other all work together. There's a real art to being able to do that.

My problem is I like too many different styles. I love a William Morris style, but on the same hand I love cottage chintz.

So much beauty out there.
Oooh William Morris is Rosie's "thing." I think she may be a bit of an expert there.......
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You were brave.
We used to avoid those places in summer when we were younger, especially after dark all those drunk holiday makers, although they were always fun in the Rhyl night clubs when I was in Nurse training.

We went to a caravan in Morcambe/Heysham in summer of 2009, then we remembered why the last time we did that was in 1968 in Cannock. Still it was a bit of fun and the pub down the road was good.
It was actually good fun!! It was on a proper site with a shop and pool and games room for the kids even a gym and the caravans had their own showers and toilets, not like in the olden days queing with your towel and shower bag under your arm LOL!!

My family wanted to get away for a long weekend somewhere with a bit of sand for the kids to play in and not too far away as we had 1 year old baby twins and a 6 and 9 year old and somewhere where everybody could get together as we also had a few husbands commuting for a day visit LOL!!

Of course once in Talacre town it was as run down as you would expect, mind you I like a day out in Blackpool for it's sheer tackiness, so there is no accounting for taste LOL!!

This was my first visit to a beach in the UK in years and I had forgotten quite how far out the tide goes..........my grand-kids here in Australia were in shock when I showed them the pics of the "surf" LOL!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-dscf1647.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-dscf1718.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 31st 2010 at 6:38 am.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I LOVE it! I would love to have one of those I think in the U.S. they call those teardrop caravans.
Windsong.

I'm correct you cant stand up in a teardrop trailer, its much smaller in height.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Barb, I did find my perfect house in a perfect location ... I would cheer up the decor a bit with some more cushions and pictures, but I would take the kitchen and bathroom exactly as they are without any complaints

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31220567.html

Just need to win the lottery now and I'll be all set.
Hello Sally, loved the house, years ago I would have said no thanks, but I really like it, its tastefully done, just give me a much smaller version so I can afford it, Back yard was perfect.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi everyone, first let me wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may all of you have a Happy and Joyous New Year.

Wee Mac and I are settling in together very nicely, we went away for Christmas to the home of a work collegue and her family. We did have a lovely time but I was very glad to get back home to my own bed, I don't do very well sleeping anywhere else but my own bed. I had two of my new friends whom I have met in the last year and my girlfriend from 45 years ago whom I just renewed our friendship. It was a wonderful reunion, and we both felt that we had never been apart as we recounted our times as young girls living in a small village.
Glad all went well for you over Christmas, Happy New Year to you Ed, I just want you, your hubby and dogs to come together this year, you certainly deserve it.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all

Just been catching up on stuff again!!! Glad you had a nice trip Fish!! Peigi glad you had a better Xmas!!

I will be hoping 2011 will be better for me healthwise at least!! At 51 I did not expect to be close to my maker earlier this year- emergency bowel resection in March- food poisoning and hospitalized in October and now anemia with swollen ankles and feet!!! Arghhhhhhhh!!!

On the +tive side, I am intending to book my rescheduled trip from October 2010 to June 2011 to see my dear Dad, after 2.4 years of Mum passing away. Thats the last time I saw him!

We did watch Xmas Top Gear on BBC 2 courtesy of UK tv link from another on this forum, as well as the Royle Family!!! Hilarious!!!

Anyways to all my buddies and there are loads now on here- have a Happy New Year for 2011 and plenty of good health, wealth and happiness!!!!:thumbs up:
Happy New year to you Shelly, I hope its a healthy one for you.
Thanks for the Top Gear reminder, I need to look that up and watch it.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
So happy to see Fish back, just catching up....... Ed so glad you had a lovely time over christmas, and shelley good luck and good health for 2011.
I hope everyones wishes and dreams come true.

I bought a lottery ticket today, dont usually bother but it is over 240 Million, er I promised Trotty I will send her on her way to UK if I win.......
Hello Denise.
You shouldnt have mentioned that lottery ticket, you will have more friends than you need if you win, boy wouldn't that be unreal, it would sort out many of your problems, you could afford to be in both places if you so wished.

Here's hoping 2011 is a Happy and healthy year for you with much less stress.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Id like to wish all my friends here on the Ex Pats forum a Happy and Heathly 2011, I really hope you have a terrific year, I hope its a turn around year for many of you.

I decided not to name names as I'm sure I would forget a few and I hate doing that.

I know lots of us worry about money and family but please remember if you've got your health you've already got a lot to be grateful for.

Take Care.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:17 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Id like to wish all my friends here on the Ex Pats forum a Happy and Heathly 2011, I really hope you have a terrific year, I hope its a turn around year for many of you.

I decided not to name names as I'm sure I would forget a few and I hate doing that.

I know lots of us worry about money and family but please remember if you've got your health you've already got a lot to be grateful for.

Take Care.
Best wishes to you too Chips, and to everyone else here on BE
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:44 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old Dec 31st 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year to all the dear friends on this forum!

May it bring good health, good fortune, and many blessings to all.

Good luck especially to those who are going back to the UK this coming year--such a big change, exciting and daunting....many courageous souls in this over 50s and 60s group!

I really must try and wean myself off this forum and start reading more about life in France! But soon I will actually be there (am currently in UK trying to recover from a week of non-stop rich food and drink, thank goodness I don't have a scale to weigh self here, I shudder to think what it would say!). And then I will be too busy setting up our apartment to keep up with this thread or any other.

But I hope to pop in from time to time and see how everyone is doing, because I'm caught up in all the stories now and I really care....

Trottytrue, you sometimes do a round-up saying where everyone is in their plans, moving back status, etc...I wonder if there is a place to put it so it can be instantly accessible to people who just pop in from time to time???

A technological question, this; I don't know if there's any way to do it...

Anyway, Happy New Year to all!

Tina
Old Dec 31st 2010, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Happy New Year to all the dear friends on this forum!
Anyway, Happy New Year to all!
Tina
Well As Tina, and everyone else has said - a very Happy and Prosperous New Year, to all of you - True Friends of this Forum - may all your wishes, be realised. -- together with enough spending money, to allow your dreams and asperations to be fulfilled. Take Care, and Good Luck - Only 51 days to go. And counting. dontheturner. PS my Daughter emailed me, and told me our tenants have gone.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 12:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

I bought a lottery ticket today, dont usually bother but it is over 240 Million, er I promised Trotty I will send her on her way to UK if I win.......
Hey! Don't be buying my £800K house before I get chance!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on the verge of tears this morning - SO SO homesick today. I've been trying to find videos of just about anything British. I found this lovely video of a trainride through the Somerset countryside. I want to go home TODAY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.