Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Rodney, like you I like hot sauces, and I buy a peri peri hot sauce from Tesco, also there are loads of steak sauces in Tesco bbq, hot bbq, HP regular brown sauce which has a nice flavour, but HP also do steak and different flavour sauces. There are also little bottles of carribbean hot sauces in and deli's along the high street, they tend to be in little bottles, am not sure which isles they are displayed on, but when I am back in Belfast I will check and let you know. Another thing check the Asian, chinese, and Indian shops, they have all kinds of herbs, and sauces, and they are only too happy to help you. I realised after coming home from Canada, there was very little there that I could'nt get here, just named differently, so it maybe a case of taking time to read the labels and don't be afraid to ask for help. If i come across any names for you I will let you know, I will be up in Belfast next week so will check Denise 2
Hi Denise 2 --- I went to Tesco today and picked up a nice bottle of Peri Peri hot sauce I got the medium one, and I also got the original HP brown sauce too, so thank you me dear very much for that, --- AND Don just said that in future for me to get my steaks in Morrisons and get the Australian steaks as they have more flavour, --- and said that I can grow my own garlic but Im not too keen on that so --- do you know of anywhere that I can get either fresh garlic or minced or diced garlic in a Jar?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes Denise, you are having the same experience as I did, everything in the shops you want, just a matter of sourcing it, like Rodney with his hot sauces.

Yes there is B & M in GB, I got sooooo many bargains there, unbelievable!! I bought these sticker type things for the kids bedroom walls, French type decor, £1.99 each, I saw the same here in Australia the other week for $25.00!!!!

The BIG thing you need to do in the UK is shop around, bargains are all there for the asking!! It can become like a little hobby for some.
I know Beedubya, we found the same, we were able to buy christmas tree lights in B&M for £2.99, here in Cork £10 and as for the wine, its the same with Guinness, it is cheaper in places like Thailand than in Dublin got something to do with the vat and tax's, stupid, and they are asking people to buy local. At Xmas everyone from the south was going North for their shopping escpecially their drinks, the government here were practically begging people to stay and shop at home, but the vat in the north then was 17 1/2% here is was 21%, everything was more expensive, but also some things were double the price and there was no call for that, now they have had to reduce the prices and I see food getting better, and the sales are really fantastic at the moment, but it just shows what the mark up is on clothing and shoes. Sorry to go on, but I worked for a short time in a large hairdressing salon, which also sold hair products, I did the books, and would you believe a large bottle of shampoo was bought for approx 80p, these were the fashionable ones too Kerestash or something like that, I just could not believe the mark up was like 200% thats total rip off, its the same with pills/cosmetics they are made for a pittance and sold on at a rediculous mark up Time this was really looked into by the government and something done about it, I'm all for freee enterprise and making a good living and profit, but not to this extent, it makes me so mad there is so much greed in the world, and so much poverty, my mother used to say the world is ill divided, and I think that is so true, sorry again about the rant Denise
with
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Denise/2: I've been following the Michaela McAreavey honeymoon murder case in the paper. What a sad thing to happen. Feel sorry for her poor husband and family!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Denise/2: I've been following the Michaela McAreavey honeymoon murder case in the paper. What a sad thing to happen. Feel sorry for her poor husband and family!
Hi Mallory, It was terrible, she was so beautiful and so happy, it seems from
people who knew her, she was a well balanced, happy person, who was just so contented with her lot, looking forward to getting married, and starting a
family. Her Father is a very well known man in sporting circles, and very well liked and respected by all sides of the community. This was his only daughter and the apple of his eye, she went to all his matches with him, home and away, I don't think they will ever
get over it, he looks like a truely broken man, and for what a few pounds. It concerns me a little bit though that the people accused were arrested so quickly, we all want the persons responsible to be punished, as long as they get the right men, one was so badly beaten they lost their hearing, that really concerns me. I really pray the family and young husband will come to terms with this in time, my heart goes out to them, just like the family of that poor architect who's body was found on xmas day, how do you cope with something like this, losing your daughter,who has been murdered, I think they would be putting me away in a white jacket Denise2
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:22 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mallory, It was terrible, she was so beautiful and so happy, it seems from
people who knew her, she was a well balanced, happy person, who was just so contented with her lot, looking forward to getting married, and starting a
family. Her Father is a very well known man in sporting circles, and very well liked and respected by all sides of the community. This was his only daughter and the apple of his eye, she went to all his matches with him, home and away, I don't think they will ever
get over it, he looks like a truely broken man, and for what a few pounds. It concerns me a little bit though that the people accused were arrested so quickly, we all want the persons responsible to be punished, as long as they get the right men, one was so badly beaten they lost their hearing, that really concerns me. I really pray the family and young husband will come to terms with this in time, my heart goes out to them, just like the family of that poor architect who's body was found on xmas day, how do you cope with something like this, losing your daughter,who has been murdered, I think they would be putting me away in a white jacket Denise2
And they buried her in her wedding dress - what a tear jerker. How could her poor mum could deal with that I don't know.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes theres an Aldi's in the high street here, but they dident have hot sauce or steak sauce, or mayonaise either, I already know you cant get Miricle whip over here or cool whip.
According to the tesco website they have tabasco sauce £1.32 a bottle (£1.12 in asda)
they have regular pepper sauce and habanero also Helmans (best foods) mayonaise, hp classic barbeque sauce and HP Spicey Barbeque sauce.

Both Asda and Tesco have Garlic, in jars and tubes, minced, crushed, dried and paste. I've bought it before.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 21st 2011 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

This was on fb, this year there are going to be a few unusual dates, 1/1/11,
11/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/11/11, and figure this one out take the last 2 digits of the year you were born plus age you will be on this year, and it will add up to 111, go on and try itit does work
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Tyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really nice

Just read this on another site - FYI

Hi All, So interesting to read all the posts by people who are a a few years ahead of us....or not I hope! We have lodged our visa application for NZ and are awaiting a reply. Who knows how things will work out but we obviously hope we love it in NZ and settle for life....but who knows.

All i'll say regarding the UK, especially in the N.E (i'm from Stokesley nr Middlesbrough) is things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years. The economy is in a real mess and will be for some time. Jobs are very hard to come by (unemployment is currently at 2.5M nationally and 10% in the N.E. this will only get worse with large scale redundancies in the public sector planned for 2011. Inflation is at 3.7% and the R.P.I is 4.8% including fuel prices, so prices are increasing, jobs are hard to find and salary's/hours are been reduced in an effort to save jobs!

One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.

VAT has just been increased to 20% and the top rate of income tax has been raised to 50%. If you add the increases in tax, interest rates and consumable prices (fuel has gone up 10p per ltr in a month) and add to the mix difficulties in job retention and a decline in salary's it doesn't paint a bright future. Many economists are predicting a tough economic climate for the next 20 years!!

So, all I will say is think long and hard about returning to the UK, get as much information on the UK as you possibly can, in fact treat it like a foreign country you haven't visited before because in many many ways it is!

lastly have a look at the adverse weather condition we've encountered here in the last two years, again those are predicted to continue.

However, i'll wish you all the very best of luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you and your family whatever you decide.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:29 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Just read this on another site - FYI

Hi All, So interesting to read all the posts by people who are a a few years ahead of us....or not I hope! We have lodged our visa application for NZ and are awaiting a reply. Who knows how things will work out but we obviously hope we love it in NZ and settle for life....but who knows.

All i'll say regarding the UK, especially in the N.E (i'm from Stokesley nr Middlesbrough) is things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years. The economy is in a real mess and will be for some time. Jobs are very hard to come by (unemployment is currently at 2.5M nationally and 10% in the N.E. this will only get worse with large scale redundancies in the public sector planned for 2011. Inflation is at 3.7% and the R.P.I is 4.8% including fuel prices, so prices are increasing, jobs are hard to find and salary's/hours are been reduced in an effort to save jobs!

One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.

VAT has just been increased to 20% and the top rate of income tax has been raised to 50%. If you add the increases in tax, interest rates and consumable prices (fuel has gone up 10p per ltr in a month) and add to the mix difficulties in job retention and a decline in salary's it doesn't paint a bright future. Many economists are predicting a tough economic climate for the next 20 years!!

So, all I will say is think long and hard about returning to the UK, get as much information on the UK as you possibly can, in fact treat it like a foreign country you haven't visited before because in many many ways it is!

lastly have a look at the adverse weather condition we've encountered here in the last two years, again those are predicted to continue.

However, i'll wish you all the very best of luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you and your family whatever you decide.

GOOD LUCK!

Welcome, Tyrone, and thanks for the reality check. I'm sure you'll hear from others.....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Tyrone,

Do you want to hear the economic conditions in some other countries?

As you know people are flooding into the UK because they are better off there than in their own country.

There are as you say a lot of changes that are going to take place and a lot of those changes are for the better. Not all.

A lot of people in the UK are doing quit well from all accounts. Not all.

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see its Friday!

Where are you all? Pub or Horse races?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lets see its Friday!

Where are you all? Pub or Horse races?
I just wrote you a private message..
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I know Beedubya, we found the same, we were able to buy christmas tree lights in B&M for £2.99, here in Cork £10 and as for the wine, its the same with Guinness, it is cheaper in places like Thailand than in Dublin got something to do with the vat and tax's, stupid, and they are asking people to buy local. At Xmas everyone from the south was going North for their shopping escpecially their drinks, the government here were practically begging people to stay and shop at home, but the vat in the north then was 17 1/2% here is was 21%, everything was more expensive, but also some things were double the price and there was no call for that, now they have had to reduce the prices and I see food getting better, and the sales are really fantastic at the moment, but it just shows what the mark up is on clothing and shoes. Sorry to go on, but I worked for a short time in a large hairdressing salon, which also sold hair products, I did the books, and would you believe a large bottle of shampoo was bought for approx 80p, these were the fashionable ones too Kerestash or something like that, I just could not believe the mark up was like 200% thats total rip off, its the same with pills/cosmetics they are made for a pittance and sold on at a rediculous mark up Time this was really looked into by the government and something done about it, I'm all for freee enterprise and making a good living and profit, but not to this extent, it makes me so mad there is so much greed in the world, and so much poverty, my mother used to say the world is ill divided, and I think that is so true, sorry again about the rant Denise
with
Hey Denise that was a good rant, no need to apoligise, I agree with you on all of that !!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
According to the tesco website they have tabasco sauce £1.32 a bottle (£1.12 in asda)
they have regular pepper sauce and habanero also Helmans (best foods) mayonaise, hp classic barbeque sauce and HP Spicey Barbeque sauce.

Both Asda and Tesco have Garlic, in jars and tubes, minced, crushed, dried and paste. I've bought it before.
Hey thanks a lot Mummy, I will be OK now, thanks for searching for me,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Tyrone for the information, it's good to hear all sides but we'll go back to dear old blighty no matter what, if there are hard times ahead for everyone, well I would rather be at home and not in a foreign country where times may be just as hard. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.