Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Don
Rhum Babas whats that?
They are a soft sort of spongy deep cake, full of a thick syrupy sort of juice, with a rum like taste.. Hard to descibe, but very yummy. Do try one. (But only one, a week!) Only find 'em in Morrisons, or some private cakes shop. dontheturner
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
They are a soft sort of spongy deep cake, full of a thick syrupy sort of juice, with a rum like taste.. Hard to descibe, but very yummy. Do try one. (But only one, a week!) Only find 'em in Morrisons, or some private cakes shop. dontheturner
I love rhum babas although it is a long time since I ate one. I worked at the Passport Office in Petty France just behind the Horse Guards stables in London when I was a student at Queens. Great little carryi out places right besides St John's Park. I actually wrte the rolling stones first (group) passport handwritten in turquoise ink....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I love rhum babas although it is a long time since I ate one. I worked at the Passport Office in Petty France just behind the Horse Guards stables in London when I was a student at Queens. Great little carryi out places right besides St John's Park. I actually wrte the rolling stones first (group) passport handwritten in turquoise ink....
Sorry St James Park.....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Celticspirit, believe it or not many areas (not London)in GB are now cheaper than Belfast to rent. The agents have jumped on the band wagon and every month the rents are going up by approx £50, and they are rentingWe are moving back north and I can't get anything so far at my price (max £550 pcm) at a push maybe £600, and I am really having trouble. My sister has a holdiay home in Moville in Donegal and has said we can use that until we are fixed up, thank god for family If you are prepared to go outside the city ie Lisburn, Moira, Dromore, or on the other side, Glengormley, carrickfergus ect: you can get cheaper, but I wanted to stay close to my family and it is proving a real trial I will keep you informed. If you google houses to rent belfast, and go to propertynews, you will get a good idea of the prices and areas. Good luck Denise2
I talked to my brother in Belfast tonight and he agreed with everything you said.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Sorry St James Park.....
Did you get out of jury duty?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That is astounding Celtic. No wonder I am finding it really hard to manage here, I swear Australian prices have gone through the roof these past few years. How can a bottle of wine cost more in it's home country than in the US after freight and handling charges?

Something tells me we are getting ripped off here.
We told the guy at the check out how surprised we were. He said Australia has more home taxes than exports....whatever that means.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
If a British author chooses to use American terminology, that's his perogative.
Sorry Denise, perhaps I wasn't clear in what I meant.

Yes, of course if a British author wants to use American terminology, that's his/her prerogative!

I'm talking about when the British author has his British characters using British vocabulary, and that's how the book is published in Britain; but then the American editors change it.
So the author's original text is changed to sound more familiar to American readers, even if this affects how a character in the book talks--so a very English character is made to use US vocab, even if they didn't in the author's original.

British publishers don't change American books in the same way--and of course they shouldn't! If an American author has his characters speaking naturally in the American idiom, British publishers leave it like that, and let the readers figure it out! And that's how it should be....why don't US publishers do the same for British authors?

It's got better recently, but there are still examples of the author's original British English being changed to US English.....grrrrr, drives me nuts!

Tina
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Some British books don't get changed too much, but one I was reading was full of changes, including someone in London driving a 'Volvo station wagon' around the 'projects' - it made a rather bad book unreadable from my point of view.
Exactly!!!!

Though it would be ok if written from the viewpoint of an American visitor to London who mentally used those expressions....but not if from the viewpoint of an English person!

Tina
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123...It was me who almost bought the can of custard but what makes it worse it that its British people ripping me off. The shop in Westford is run by someone from outside London and the one in Peabody is run by a women from Scotland. I know they need some profit but not that much. I know they do well because they are always going on wonderful holidays and the chap from London has a really expensive car. Which my husband never fails to let me know.
Hi trotty, Oh yes of course it was you with the custard --- or almost with the custard
Big car and expensive holidays for the owner huh well thats why he charges big prices,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Go looking again, my Mum always had Tabasco sauce on hand when I was a kid.
I like plain Ham pizza, then open a can of pineapple and make my own Hawaiian and sprinkle a little more cheese on.
Also keep an eye out for an Aldi's grocery store, they have a lot of American stuff, it can be hit and miss, I was in there over 4th of July one year they had everything you need to have a BBQ even proper US hot dogs in plastic packets in the fridge, and proper buns
Yes theres an Aldi's in the high street here, but they dident have hot sauce or steak sauce, or mayonaise either, I already know you cant get Miricle whip over here or cool whip.

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 21st 2011 at 11:48 am. Reason: add words
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rodney. If you buy steak, it is not so tasty from a Butchers- better to go to Morrisons, and buy Australian Steak. They do sell Tabasco Sauce, and Fish Sauce for seasoning ( better than Salt) and also stock Heinz Steak Sauce - as they do here, Also at Tesco. Some English Folk use Garlic. Plant some in your flower border ( keeps the ants away) then pull and use them. That's what my wife will be doing. - I don't eat it myself , but she does. Don
Thanks Don I will check the ozzie steak out at Morrisons next time Im there,
And the Heinz steak sauce,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,
Are you staying home today?
I don't think its raining any place in the UK today.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Don now I gotta buy one of those for sure too at Morrisons next time,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,
Are you staying home today?
I don't think its raining any place in the UK today.
Well me and Mum just went up to the bank this morning and did a little shopping and then home, mum's gone to her club now for the afternoon so
I am going to stay home the rest of the day, nice day but a little cold,
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Property News is a good one and I like PropertyPal even more. It is easier to navigate. My brother hade a large home on Rugby Road ( four stories) backing onto Botanic Gardens. I would love to live in the same area but it is too pricey and want to hopefully be independent. I grew up on Somerton Road off Fortwilliam and after getting married lived on Carmoney Road before moving to Dallas. Funny thing we had a housekeeper from Moville for many years. It is a lovely part of the world.
I check PropertyPal everyday even though I still don't have a plan in place.
I know the Somerton Road, very well, my brother in laws sister lives there, also my sisters old boyfriend lived there, maybe you knew them Raineys, they were steeplejacks, had companies both North and South of Ireland> I was from the other side of town, Glengoland, in Suffolk, and then Four Winds/ Knock area. Yes I had a holdiay home there too, (no longer I'm afraid returning to Canada cost us dearly) and it is lovely. Good luck Celticspirit hope all works out for you Denise 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.