British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

trottytrue Dec 30th 2010 7:45 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Cheers..I lived in Hoole, and Sandbach. We also lived in Chester on Whipcord lane. That was the best. But parents wanted to move so we moved.:frown: only to Hoole but Whipcord Lane was so convenient, I just had to walk along the Walls and I was in town.

trottytrue Dec 30th 2010 7:48 pm

DDL..I loved the caravan I could just see myself settled in that making myself a cup of tea. Maybe it because as I child my family (all 6 of us stayed in one of those). Wincups Camp in Rhyl and Talacre.

sallysimmons Dec 30th 2010 7:51 pm

Barb, have you ever seen DIY SOS - it's like that US show but with more humor and a bit less schmaltz. But I always wind up in tears. I'm hooked on Grand Designs at the moment.

I really like that caravan - very cute. I'm not very good at interior design, but I know what I like. I think they call it shabby chic - although my interpretation is more shabby than chic with 4 cats in the house :lol:

I like old things, big fat overstuffed sofas, lots of pictures on the walls, hardwood floors with persian rugs. I like things that don't match and yet look good together anyway. When I move back, I'd really like to do the 'Kirsty's Homemade Home' thing and get lots of stuff from salvage yards and second hand stores. My husband hates looking round places like that, but I could go with mum - she loves it.

I really don't like modern things and things that all go together perfectly. That's my problem with most UK decor. Also, it seems like most people in England buy these big shiny leather sofas and stuff them into rooms that are way too small!

I did find my perfect house in a perfect location ... I would cheer up the decor a bit with some more cushions and pictures, but I would take the kitchen and bathroom exactly as they are without any complaints

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31220567.html

Just need to win the lottery now and I'll be all set.:rofl:

Beedubya Dec 30th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9068023)
DDL..I loved the caravan I could just see myself settled in that making myself a cup of tea. Maybe it because as I child my family (all 6 of us stayed in one of those). Wincups Camp in Rhyl and Talacre.

Ha Ha TT we had a family holiday in Talacre last summer, there were about 12 of us in 3 caravans, God we had some laughs and Talacre hasn't changed a bit for about the last 30 years LOL!!

Beedubya Dec 30th 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9068026)
Barb, have you ever seen DIY SOS - it's like that US show but with more humor and a bit less schmaltz. But I always wind up in tears. I'm hooked on Grand Designs at the moment.

I really like that caravan - very cute. I'm not very good at interior design, but I know what I like. I think they call it shabby chic - although my interpretation is more shabby than chic with 4 cats in the house :lol:

I like old things, big fat overstuffed sofas, lots of pictures on the walls, hardwood floors with persian rugs. I like things that don't match and yet look good together anyway. When I move back, I'd really like to do the 'Kirsty's Homemade Home' thing and get lots of stuff from salvage yards and second hand stores. My husband hates looking round places like that, but I could go with mum - she loves it.

I really don't like modern things and things that all go together perfectly. That's my problem with most UK decor. Also, it seems like most people in England buy these big shiny leather sofas and stuff them into rooms that are way too small!

I did find my perfect house in a perfect location ... I would cheer up the decor a bit with some more cushions and pictures, but I would take the kitchen and bathroom exactly as they are without any complaints

WOW Sally, that house is STUNNING!!! Imagine waking up there every morning and pottering around the kitchen............sigh.........

Actually I am in a big lottery today, I very very rarely gamble, but the one today is $31 million, my daughter and her fiancee got together 31 family and friends and we have all put in $10, so :fingerscrossed: for a million each. :lol:

Mind you still couldn't afford that house, too much housework for me anyway LOL!! I think I will buy a one bedroom place in England and a one bedroom place here in Australia and that will be me done. :thumbsup:

I will look out for that show DIY SOS, at the moment I am watching Come Dine With Me celeb special with old Corrie cast members, that Reg Holdsworth guy is mad :eek: and SOOOOOOO annoying I don't know how his wife puts up with him!!!

Easterndawn Dec 30th 2010 8:16 pm

Hi everyone, first let me wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may all of you have a Happy and Joyous New Year.

Wee Mac and I are settling in together very nicely, we went away for Christmas to the home of a work collegue and her family. We did have a lovely time but I was very glad to get back home to my own bed, I don't do very well sleeping anywhere else but my own bed. I had two of my new friends whom I have met in the last year and my girlfriend from 45 years ago whom I just renewed our friendship. It was a wonderful reunion, and we both felt that we had never been apart as we recounted our times as young girls living in a small village.

Beedubya Dec 30th 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9068074)
Hi everyone, first let me wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may all of you have a Happy and Joyous New Year.

Wee Mac and I are settling in together very nicely, we went away for Christmas to the home of a work collegue and her family. We did have a lovely time but I was very glad to get back home to my own bed, I don't do very well sleeping anywhere else but my own bed. I had two of my new friends whom I have met in the last year and my girlfriend from 45 years ago whom I just renewed our friendship. It was a wonderful reunion, and we both felt that we had never been apart as we recounted our times as young girls living in a small village.

Oh Peigi, that is lovely news, so glad you had a happier Christmas than last year. :)

And now you have company with your wee little 'un and how great you met your old friend from 45 years ago. I hope the coming year brings you everything you could wish for, you have certainly earnt it. Take Care and do pop in for a cuppa more often. :thumbsup:

DDL Dec 30th 2010 9:27 pm

Abso-bloody-lutely gorgeous. :thumbsup:

DDL Dec 30th 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9067901)
Denise that caravan is very sweet but I just don't go for that whole retro type look PERSONALLY but I know it is very "in" over there just as it is becoming fashionable here too.

Barb, just for the record :lol: I personally wouldn't have retro in my home - it's not me - but something like that little caravan would be adorable as my alter-ego playhouse. :lol:

My taste is a bit eclectic, similar to Sally S. I like an assortment of things that look like they've been inherited over time, a mismatched collection that somehow or other all work together. There's a real art to being able to do that.

My problem is I like too many different styles. I love a William Morris style, but on the same hand I love cottage chintz.

So much beauty out there.

shelley748 Dec 30th 2010 11:26 pm

Hi all

Just been catching up on stuff again!!! Glad you had a nice trip Fish!! Peigi glad you had a better Xmas!!

I will be hoping 2011 will be better for me healthwise at least!! At 51 I did not expect to be close to my maker earlier this year- emergency bowel resection in March- food poisoning and hospitalized in October and now anemia with swollen ankles and feet!!! Arghhhhhhhh!!!

On the +tive side, I am intending to book my rescheduled trip from October 2010 to June 2011 to see my dear Dad, after 2.4 years of Mum passing away. Thats the last time I saw him!

We did watch Xmas Top Gear on BBC 2 courtesy of UK tv link from another on this forum, as well as the Royle Family!!! Hilarious!!!

Anyways to all my buddies and there are loads now on here- have a Happy New Year for 2011 and plenty of good health, wealth and happiness!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbs up:

windsong Dec 30th 2010 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9067495)
:lol: I used to love 'Changing Rooms' if only to see the inside of English houses. (Did you know that LLB is a DJ now on Classic FM? :ohmy:)

Oooo, my weakness: interior design and decoration. One of the few things I just don't think the average person gets right here in the UK. :o

For my tastes, I love BHS and Bentalls. The stuff at M&S - while sometimes nice - is, as you point out Sally, found in every home.

I'm also shocked by the high cost of really naff furniture (examples I've seen include kitchen and dining tables; beds; bedroom furniture). Sally, I know you've mentioned wanting to bring over some of your nice furniture and in theory I agree. I left some awesome stuff behind in the States. But we didn't want our furniture to dictate what type/size place we end up renting. Suppose if you knew beforehand where you would be living, it would be a different scenario.

One has to be very, very clever over here in order to pull together a really awesome look IMHO. It can be done, but it takes a lot of shopping around (new and vintage) to find just the right stuff. I base my opinion on what I have seen at charity shops, auction houses (Chiswick Auctions), and shops.

On a somewhat related subject (i.e., design), I just came across this woman's blog the other day and am enamored with what she's done to an adorable little caravan in her back garden. Check it out: http://bit.ly/hNiAtn :wub:

I LOVE it! I would love to have one of those :) I think in the U.S. they call those teardrop caravans.

trottytrue Dec 31st 2010 2:01 am

DDL..I dont care about the retro, just me sitting in it having a cup of tea and being back home is all I care about.:)

ldyinlv Dec 31st 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9068496)
DDL..I dont care about the retro, just me sitting in it having a cup of tea and being back home is all I care about.:)

Agreed..:)

charleygirl Dec 31st 2010 3:10 am

Er Sally only almost 800,000 yep need a lottery win but OMG what alovely place, probably the dream of all us ladies here.

charleygirl Dec 31st 2010 3:16 am

So happy to see Fish back, just catching up....... Ed so glad you had a lovely time over christmas, and shelley good luck and good health for 2011.
I hope everyones wishes and dreams come true.

I bought a lottery ticket today, dont usually bother but it is over 240 Million, er I promised Trotty I will send her on her way to UK if I win.......