Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
We are all part of the EU, so the same as folks from France, now living in the UK, reciprocal arrangements apply equally. - What about parts of Greece Austria & Switzerland, where they also get cold and snow?
Every one I know in financial circles in the UK thanks GOD they did not accept the Euro as their currency.........and stayed with the British pound. I think for us moving back.......we are blessed.....the euro is just now showing how vulnerable Europe is. We may not get rich with the exchange rate.....but the Euro is now so much more risky than our British Pound.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Every one I know in financial circles in the UK thanks GOD they did not accept the Euro as their currency.........and stayed with the British pound. I think for us moving back.......we are blessed.....the euro is just now showing how vulnerable Europe is. We may not get rich with the exchange rate.....but the Euro is now so much more risky than our British Pound.
Well said Celtic and Long Live the British Pound.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I know I should get them next winter, but am unsure if they will be retroactive for this winter, as I am not yet receiving benefits. Would be a nice surprise, and would make a huge difference in the tiny budget that I have.
Rosie, I am certainly no expert here but if you are on a pension shouldn't you also get some kind of rent assistance?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Well said Celtic and Long Live the British Pound.
Here here --- I second that Fish and Celtic, The British Pound Forever !!!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rosie, I am certainly no expert here but if you are on a pension shouldn't you also get some kind of rent assistance?
I applied, but may not get it - there was a question about being here for 2 years...but apparently each situation is treated independently, so I am waiting to hear about that still. I am in the waiting period for everything just now, and am covering all bases in case I am on my own financially. Will post as and when each decision that affects me comes to pass.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got these photos of the Australian floods - the ones in Brisbane:

mouse over each photo and they change from regular aerial photos to flood photos of the same place:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infograph...eforeafter.htm
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney....So glad I put the custard back. I know they have to pay shipping costs to the US but almost $6 for a 50p tin of custard is way over. Thankyou. It is good to know the difference in prices. Keep thinking of you sitting behind the door when you are posting
Behind the door huh
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Behind the door huh
I keep thinking about the great Birds custard debate and you know it's true, why should a tin of custard which costs 50p ($1.00) cost 6 times the amount we pay for imported goods? Sure they have freight and import costs blah blah blah but that is one hell of a mark up for profit!!!

Over the years I have bought little treats here and there like said Birds custard or Ambrosia rice pudding or proper mint sauce, and was just so happy to get a little taste here and there and whilst groaning at the price I never realised just how much I was getting ripped off until the other day.

TT and Charleygirl you do know there is an outlet in NH which sells all kinds of British chocolates? Can't remember just where it is/was but I do remember going there and stocking up on (overpriced no doubt ) goodies to bring back to Australia. That would be a nice day out for you.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple
of times a month. It can be done, it just is harder when your older.

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.
Hi Pegie, (NOW I UNDERSTAND why you are the go getter that you are) the Yellow Banana Wagon days, that tells it all,
Good for you in getting this new Job, I was happy when you got your third Job the one you have now ---- but hey double the money how could you pass that up,
Take care and good luck,
Rodney.
PS you remain the inspiration to us all and one day when you and Hubby and babies are together it would be my pleasure to meet you,
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Council tax is only lower for a renter if they are living alone (single occupant discount is something like 25%).

I think if renters didn't formally pay the council tax, landlords would just roll it into the rent (i.e., charge higher rent, just like some landlords charge higher rents, with elec/gas included). The advantage of the renter paying it is that he/she can put in for the single occupant discount more easily, I guess.
Yes my Mum was living alone and her council tax was £90 per month for a 3 bedroom house, now I live with her its £120 per month so she no longer gets her 25% didiscount|_I went to the council to tell them that Im now living with my Mum and they told me that in future it will be £120 p.m. total,

Incidently, I discovered when I applied for my free bus pass last month that they are a little more strict now on who they give them to, Apparently you dont have to be a citizen as long as you can prove that you are a permanent resident of UK and are here to stay, So I said I am home to retire and live the rest of my life here, and I showed her the requirement of an official letter addressed to me here --- I took in my Lloyd's letter when they sent me my debit card after opening the account, (BUT) they said that was not enough anymore, you must really prove that you are here to stay and what we require now is for everyone to register with the council to pay there share of the council tax, ---- and so luckily the council office was in the same building so she said just go around the corner and register, --- so I did --- I came back a few minutes later with the receipt of proof of registering and handed her my passport size photo --- (ANOTHER REQUREMENT) and she said they will mail me my bus pass within 10 days, --- it came 9 days later
She explained for years now EU seniors have been coming over to UK and just staying here temporarily for a few months and going back home --- but they were all coming in to get there free bus pass and if they were over 60 then we had to give it to them --- but for a while now this has changed and we are much stricter on who we give them to now, and I said I certainly agree with that policy.
Take care,
Rodney
PS ---- so when you go along to apply for free bus pass ---- register first at the council, get proof that you are registered, take into free bus pass office ---- an official letter sent to your address in UK, a passport style photo, and your British Passport, I guess the Passport is not necesary as long as you have some kind of ID --- as you dont have to be a citizen only a permenent resident now, thats it within 10 days you will receive your free bus pass with your name and photo on it --- and its good for 4 years ---- then you Just renew it every 4 years,

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 18th 2011 at 9:26 am. Reason: add words
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes my Mum was living alone and her council tax was £90 per month for a 3 bedroom house, now I live with her its £120 per month so she no longer gets her 25% didiscount|_I went to the council to tell them that Im now living with my Mum and they told me that in future it will be £120 p.m. total,

Incidently, I discovered when I applied for my free bus pass last month that they are a little more strict now on who they give them to, Apparently you dont have to be a citizen as long as you can prove that you are a permanent resident of UK and are here to stay, So I said I am home to retire and live the rest of my life here, and I showed her the requirement of an official letter addressed to me here --- I took in my Lloyd's letter when they sent me my debit card after opening the account, (BUT) they said that was not enough anymore, you must really prove that you are here to stay and what we require now is for everyone to register with the council to pay there share of the council tax, ---- and so luckily the council office was in the same building so she said just go around the corner and register, --- so I did --- I came back a few minutes later with the receipt of proof of registering and handed her my passport size photo --- (ANOTHER REQUREMENT) and she said they will mail me my bus pass within 10 days, --- it came 9 days later
She explained for years now EU seniors have been coming over to UK and just staying here temporarily for a few months and going back home --- but they were all coming in to get there free bus pass and if they were over 60 then we had to give it to them --- but for a while now this has changed and we are much stricter on who we give them to now, and I said I certainly agree with that policy.
Take care,
Rodney
PS ---- so when you go along to apply for free bus pass ---- register first at the council, get proof that you are registered, take into free bus pass office ---- an official letter sent to your address in UK, a passport style photo, and your British Passport, I guess the Passport is not necesary as long as you have some kind of ID --- as you dont have to be a citizen only a permenent resident now, thats it within 10 days you will receive your free bus pass with your name and photo on it --- and its good for 4 years ---- then you Just renew it every 4 years,
So how would they ask you to prove residence if you don't pay Council Tax (e.g., if you are renting a room in someone's house?). For similar reasons you also wouldn't be responsible for other bills like electricity, etc.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

So how would they ask you to prove residence if you don't pay Council Tax (e.g., if you are renting a room in someone's house?). For similar reasons you also wouldn't be responsible for other bills like electricity, etc.
I had to do this in Ealing, and had to provide a letter from the Pensions service, sent to the address at which I was living. I did this at the Post Office in Purley, whist visiting there, and the Travel Pass was sent to the Ealing address on my behalf. Now I have to do that all over again, in Somerset. But this time I have lots of documents to prove residency: Utility bills, lease, Council tax bill, TV licence.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do this in Ealing, and had to provide a letter from the Pensions service, sent to the address at which I was living. I did this at the Post Office in Purley, whist visiting there, and the Travel Pass was sent to the Ealing address on my behalf. Now I have to do that all over again, in Somerset. But this time I have lots of documents to prove residency: Utility bills, lease, Council tax bill, TV licence.
I may have missed the detail on this earlier, but bus passes are available for ALL 60-year old residents, not just those receiving state pension, is that correct? (so men, who don't get state pension until 65, can get a bus pass at 60) ... I'm wondering how that would play out in terms of your example above.

Not sure why I care, I won't be eligible for a free bus pass for a long, long time yet.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I may have missed the detail on this earlier, but bus passes are available for ALL 60-year old residents, not just those receiving state pension, is that correct? (so men, who don't get state pension until 65, can get a bus pass at 60) ... I'm wondering how that would play out in terms of your example above.

Not sure why I care, I won't be eligible for a free bus pass for a long, long time yet.
Found this site - for when you are aged like me

http://www.seniorsdiscounts.co.uk/mo...ss-scheme.html

If you click on other sections on the link, it will take you to more Senior Discounts information. Watch out - the site is dated 2007, so some things may have changed.

And another one - http://buspasscentre.co.uk/default.aspx

And again: http://www.freebustravel.co.uk/

And a delightful article to add fuel to the current fires: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bus-pass.html

Happy reading. Tell us what you figure out when you figure it out.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Jan 18th 2011 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:31 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

And a delightful article to add fuel to the current fires: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bus-pass.html
Ah the Daily Mail! So keen to slash benefits and so quick to get up in arms when benefits are slashed. Their readers must get whiplash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.