British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

GagainPEI Jan 17th 2011 7:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9108507)
In the article it says you can.

Reading the article, it appears age is the only qualifying rule for pensioners so it would appear to apply to anyone of pensionable age, not necessarily receiving a UK NI pension. Interesting stuff.

dunroving Jan 17th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by GagainPEI (Post 9108514)
Is the article correct, I wonder?

They quote the DWP, who I assume should know, and can't imagine why the article would make it up.

You can even claim it if you live overseas, believe it or not.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...el-payments.do

GagainPEI Jan 17th 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9108526)
They quote the DWP, who I assume should know, and can't imagine why the article would make it up.

It mentioned Stringfellow. I didn't read it. I just rememberd there was no way to recover overpaid child tax credits when the scheme was set up. Another shambles.

DDL Jan 17th 2011 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9108492)
Here they go again :rolleyes: Brings back memories

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

islandwoman120 Jan 17th 2011 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by GagainPEI (Post 9108449)
Rosie

I think it's you who has applied for your UK pension. If so, you will be entitled to cold weather payments. My Mum said she was getting £25 pw extra in her pension payments throughout the very cold spell.

Just for information.

Valerie

I know I should get them next winter, but am unsure if they will be retroactive for this winter, as I am not yet receiving benefits. Would be a nice surprise, and would make a huge difference in the tiny budget that I have.

jasper123 Jan 17th 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9108321)
Rodney, this rent is very much dependent on where you live. I think Peigi pays £325 per month for a furnished flat, my sister pays £400.00 for a 2 bed unfurnished in Runcorn, I paid £500 per month for a fully furnished two bedroom flat with views of Lake Windermere.........all plus council tax and utilities of course............

Here in Australia my rent is more than 50% of my take home pay.

OK Barb your right about other parts of UK and rent prices, and thats what I diddidn'tally consider, yes of course just like U.S. difdifferentates and towns are cheaper then others, Its kind of narrow minded of me to just think that the prices down south of England where I live would be simular to other parts,
But I think in London though it would be really hard to find a one bedroom apartment for less then £600 p.m. and council tax on top of that, ---- but thats really what I was thinking in my post about London really where Denise & Tony live,
Take care,
Rodney,
PS lovely rain tonight, feels really good, quite mild though about 11c

jasper123 Jan 17th 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9108305)
With regard to some of the comments about Sheltered Housing ... I'm not old and neither is my husband. He's 51 and I'm 56 and we are VERY young at heart. The only, and I mean the only, reason we are even considering Sheltered Housing is because of the cost.

It's cheap.

We have no intention whatsoever of participating in any of the activities that are [usually] offered .... unless it's something we fancy. For example, sometimes these places will sponsor bus trips to the coast or something like that. Hell yes I'd take them up on that if it's a good deal. Why not?

In a nutshell, it's the least expensive housing option we've found to date. Doesn't even mean we'd accept it if one comes up. It would depend upon our circumstances at the time. But we figured there's no harm done in going ahead and getting on the list.

By the way - I have a job interview on Friday for a solicitor here in Staines. ;)

Denise go get um ---- good luck on your Job interview, great big vibes being sent your way :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Rodney.

charleygirl Jan 18th 2011 12:27 am

Denise good luck for Friday, sending all good vibes.
Rodney so good to hear everything is still going well!

dontheturner Jan 18th 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9108526)

Hi Dunroving - Yes, even in the Phillipines & Spain! - but NOT in Thailand where there are lots of us!

trottytrue Jan 18th 2011 1:26 am

DDL...Goodluck for Friday got all my fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed:

Celticspirit Jan 18th 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9109245)
Hi Dunroving - Yes, even in the Phillipines & Spain! - but NOT in Thailand where there are lots of us!

I find this unbelievable......the euro countries where Brits moved to for warmer climate can still apply for heating help. Insane. No wonder the EU/UK are going broke.

trottytrue Jan 18th 2011 2:17 am

Does that mean I can apply for it in the US.:frown: Somethings really need to change. Didnt know it was that cold in Spain.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 18th 2011 2:57 am

Shocking, you move out of UK, you can't claim to be an ordinary resident, yet they get heating allowance :confused: I wonder how much money would be saved by cutting that off outside of the UK?

dontheturner Jan 18th 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9109434)
Shocking, you move out of UK, you can't claim to be an ordinary resident, yet they get heating allowance :confused: I wonder how much money would be saved by cutting that off outside of the UK?

We are all part of the EU, so the same as folks from France, now living in the UK, reciprocal arrangements apply equally. - What about parts of Greece Austria & Switzerland, where they also get cold and snow?

Celticspirit Jan 18th 2011 6:01 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9107154)
CS, that's how I feel. I want to rent my own place where they can run and play and be safe.

duplex....you and me?????