Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, this rent is very much dependent on where you live. I think Peigi pays £325 per month for a furnished flat, my sister pays £400.00 for a 2 bed unfurnished in Runcorn, I paid £500 per month for a fully furnished two bedroom flat with views of Lake Windermere.........all plus council tax and utilities of course............

Here in Australia my rent is more than 50% of my take home pay.
I rent privately in Frome, and pay £350 + council tax + utilities. All adds up. My electric bill - which is how the flat is heated, and the cooker is electric - was £60. High for a tiny space, but it WAS cold in December. I am keeping tabs on this month's expenditure, and hopefully I will get a clearer idea of my future winter costs. Water will not be much, as I am Miss Frugality, and only have a shower, no bath No washing machine, no dish washer. Council tax: annual charge £1003.15, before 25% personal deduction as a single occupant. My current bill is for 15/12/1010 to 31/03/2011 and is £294.07. Monthly installments are £147.07, beginning on 01/02/2011. We shall see... if I get the Housing 21 place in Coleford, I may move there simply because of the price - this is ridiculously high for a tiny room. Like DDL says, she would do that simply because of the costs involved, and live her own life regardless. Some things seem very high, some things do not. But as I said in an older post, the trade off is medical care, and a social safety net, which was missing from my American life.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I rent privately in Frome, and pay £350 + council tax + utilities. All adds up. My electric bill - which is how the flat is heated, and the cooker is electric - was £60. High for a tiny space, but it WAS cold in December. I am keeping tabs on this month's expenditure, and hopefully I will get a clearer idea of my future winter costs. Water will not be much, as I am Miss Frugality, and only have a shower, no bath No washing machine, no dish washer. Council tax: annual charge £1003.15, before 25% personal deduction as a single occupant. My current bill is for 15/12/1010 to 31/03/2011 and is £294.07. Monthly installments are £147.07, beginning on 01/02/2011. We shall see... if I get the Housing 21 place in Coleford, I may move there simply because of the price - this is ridiculously high for a tiny room. Like DDL says, she would do that simply because of the costs involved, and live her own life regardless. Some things seem very high, some things do not. But as I said in an older post, the trade off is medical care, and a social safety net, which was missing from my American life.
Rosie

I think it's you who has applied for your UK pension. If so, you will be entitled to cold weather payments. My Mum said she was getting £25 pw extra in her pension payments throughout the very cold spell.

Just for information.

Valerie
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Rosie

I think it's you who has applied for your UK pension. If so, you will be entitled to cold weather payments. My Mum said she was getting £25 pw extra in her pension payments throughout the very cold spell.

Just for information.

Valerie
Here's a Government Web link to the winter fuel allowance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...nt/DG_10018657
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Here's a Government Web link to the winter fuel allowance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...nt/DG_10018657
Thanks. I was just a bit too lazy.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I was just a bit too lazy.
Even the rich get it, though some have the conscience to pay it back if they don't really need it:

http://www.manchesterwired.co.uk/new...fuel-allowance
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Even the rich get it, though some have the conscience to pay it back if they don't really need it:

I don't think there's any mechanism in place to repay it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:48 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Still no news on my job front...

BTW Barb I've been meaning to ask you, do you know exactly where your "office" is located? (You can PM me if you'd feel more comfortable.)

Reason I ask is because on Christmas Day we were on our way to Tony's uncle's house who lives in Stanwell, right next to Heathrow, and on the way there (we were actually popping into Terminal 5 first for a looksie since we had not been in there yet) we passed a bunch of airline freight/cargo offices but I did not see a sign for Quantas, but that doesn't mean that's not where they're located.

But if that is where you will be working. it may be a better choice for you to look for housing in Stanwell or Ashford or even Hounslow (don't fret, there are decent places in Hounslow, you just have to be careful).
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Do you know offhand if one gets it if they are not entitled to a UK pension?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did get off lightly - at the time of rescuing my bag from the Heathrow baggage claim, I did not think anything had made it intact, because the bag was flattened a lot, and shaky - and the sound of tinkling broken items was evident. Oh well - at least I got most of the set still - I did leave the most expensive, and largest, items with a family member, asking for them to sold if at all possible: teapot, and 2 serving dishes which I do not like. Or they can go to my children when I die - if they care to have them. I am not sending for them - not worth the price of shipping, and I don't miss them. (china, not children!)
Where do your children live? Are you close to them?
You are such a go getter and very talented. I don't think it will be long before you will find employment.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

But as I said in an older post, the trade off is medical care, and a social safety net, which was missing from my American life.

David Cameron on the news tonight...big reforms ahead for the NHS.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12203000

Beware.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Beware.
Here they go again

Brings back memories

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 17th 2011 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:57 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by DDL

Beware.
Deja vu:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701066
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

I don't think there's any mechanism in place to repay it.
In the article it says you can.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:59 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by aviva
Do you know offhand if one gets it if they are not entitled to a UK pension?
AFAIK, everyone gets it from 60 yrs old and on. That's what the article and gov't link I posted seem to indicate.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

In the article it says you can.
Is the article correct, I wonder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.