Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Charleygirl.

I'm so glad you got that Royale Family business sorted out, of course its not everybodies cuppa tea, I bought the series many years ago, I'm sure there are some new christmas specials I haven't seen.

Did you see the series "At home with the Braithwates", its was on BBC America about 6-7 years ago, it might be up your street.

It stars Amanda Redman of "New Tricks:" Peter Davidson (Tristan) and Linda Bellingham (Helen Herriot) of All Creatures great and small fame, Sylvia Syms and Julia Graham.

Amanda (Alison Braithwate) wins the euro lottery, I was hooked from the first show.

I did well this Christmas, Ireceived the full series of "Father Ted" and the "Vicar of Dibley" plus the first series of Doc Martin, it sure beats clothes that never seem to fit, plus its light enough to take back when the time comes.
Hi Fish, nice to see you back!!

As you say, The Royle Family is not for everybody, but I like it. Watched the 2010 and 2009 Christmas specials this week, thank God for Expat Shield and a doorway to heaven (i.e. UK TV).

Also for lovers of The Catherine Tate Show I watched "Nan's Christmas Carol" made in 2009, LOTS of swearing but oh I do love Nan.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jackie.
I understand totally, the Health thing, people need to experience it to believe it.

Vegas, what a place, I've been many times, I always enjoy myself, its not just a gambing thing as Im not much of a gambler myself, I like the sights, shows and driving around the outskirts, miles away from the strip.
I'm sure you will miss it.
My mother went to Las Vegas about 3 years ago with some girlfriends, she still raves about it and the size of the food portions LOL!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Am replying to this although there are probably pages and pages of subsequent posts to catch up on--

--thank you for this, Barb--yes, it was a lovely Christmas (if chaotic because of the numbers of adults and children concerned!).

Other son did land safely, the countryside was an extraordinary sight, covered in snow, and as all readers probably know by now, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day the sun shone (at least in Gloucestershire) so there was the sun sparkling on the snow....most unusual for England, and bitterly cold, but very pretty.

Tina
I have seen the photos from my family in England and YES she did look particularly lovely this year, though I laughed at the little ones all bundled up like Michelin men.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Fish, nice to see you back!!

As you say, The Royle Family is not for everybody, but I like it. Watched the 2010 and 2009 Christmas specials this week, thank God for Expat Shield and a doorway to heaven (i.e. UK TV).

Also for lovers of The Catherine Tate Show I watched "Nan's Christmas Carol" made in 2009, LOTS of swearing but oh I do love Nan.
Thanks Barb. Love Catherine Tate too especially Nan, Love the Neville and Burger van sketch, Mikhail Gorbachev peed on their onions, always makes me laugh
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya....My eldest was 5 when we came to the US. Don't think OH really wanted to stay in the UK but he tried. Back then they had to offer any job he applied for to a British subject and then after 3 had refused he got the opportunity to take the job. Things have changed since then. We moved back to Florida were his Mum and family lived but he didnt like Florida and the heat so we moved to California after 3 years we moved to Rhode Island which I really liked. We lived on the Island for 18years but then he was made redundant and got the job up here in New Hampshire which I really dislike. I suppose it depends were you live. He would be happy to stay in the US but always promised me that if I wanted he would take me back to the UK when he retired. I think he thought I would change my mind as the years went by. But here I sit and wait. Somedays are better than others.

I was never a big traveller I went on holiday with friends to Spain and Italy but was always glad to get home. Loved living in Chester but I really think I was suffering from depression after my third child and various operations and family squables. I have always said that when deciding to move to another country you need to take a deep breath and think about it and not do it on a whim. I already knew I didnt want to move but I was stuck or so I though I didnt want to look like a fool and back out at the last minute so I kept my mouth shut and here we are 30years later. Only myself to blame. As my Mum would say. Weak as water...........

I read today that Cilla Black does not want to live past 75. OMG I thought that does not give me long to enjoy myself before its over. The thought really depressed me. But my Mum was 93 when she died and my Granny was 90 and they did pretty well.
WOW! What a thing for Cilla Black to say! Gees, she could be in the best of health at 75, too! My dad was 90 when he died and up until about a year before he died, he was walking 5 miles a day across the hills in Somerset! I hope I live that long - and I hope I can afford to live that long, too.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the series "At home with the Braithwates", its was on BBC America about 6-7 years ago, it might be up your street.

It stars Amanda Redman of "New Tricks:" Peter Davidson (Tristan) and Linda Bellingham (Helen Herriot) of All Creatures great and small fame, Sylvia Syms and Julia Graham.

Amanda (Alison Braithwate) wins the euro lottery, I was hooked from the first show.
I remember seeing that on BBC America. I loved it because it was all in Yorkshire - and of course, when they got rich they moved from Leeds to Harrogate, a place pretty much everyone in Leeds aspires to
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

WaWa, I know what you mean about wanting to fast forward. I have such a long wait.

OTOH, I like having something to look forward to and plan towards, even though all know what happens to the best laid plans.

I too would like an old terrace or a semi. Georgian or Victorian preferably. But not one that needs doing up. Neither of us is handy like that, so we have to pay people to do things, which gets very expensive. If you want to come over and do mine up when you're done with yours, you'd be very welcome ;-)
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Not sure how far away you are from the off or even if you need to work, but there is a job advertised on here for Manchester, admin type thingy.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698361
Thanks Bee for the link! I am still a few years off, unfortunately, but I am constantly looking and there always seem to be jobs being advertised. Whether I will get one easily at my age, who knows. Its my main concern to be honest. Worked in the airline business for years, now in hotels as a PA at corporate level, so will look for something similar there, I expect. Daunting prospect, but then again, I like a little challenge
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:44 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Very often, and maybe all of the time I'm not sure, Marks and Sparks do a wonderful deal whereby you can buy a side dish of your choice, be it vegetables or a mixed salad or whatever, then a main course of your choice - just select as required from a varied range of meals including veggie; then a choice of a dessert; and finally a choice of a bottle of wine to top it all off...all for £10, and easily sufficient to serve two people...

The £10 Meal Deals for Two are fantastic! We purchased 5 or 6 of these meals throughout November and December, and just put the bottles of wine aside to use at our pre-Christmas family gathering in Devon.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
WaWa, I know what you mean about wanting to fast forward. I have such a long wait.

OTOH, I like having something to look forward to and plan towards, even though all know what happens to the best laid plans.

I too would like an old terrace or a semi. Georgian or Victorian preferably. But not one that needs doing up. Neither of us is handy like that, so we have to pay people to do things, which gets very expensive. If you want to come over and do mine up when you're done with yours, you'd be very welcome ;-)
Yes Sal I agree, its nice to have a 'project' and to plot and plan but we have virtually put our lives on hold while we work towards our departure, and I feel as if I have been in this holding pattern for way too long! However, in a few days time I might be able to say we plan to leave 'next year' Sounds so much better wot?

Would love to buy a right dive and turn it into a beauty - I hear home renovations in UK are much cheaper than North America. Who knows, it could end up to be a little business, so of course I will be able help with yours - I could give you a special BE discount of course you have to let me work, no sitting around drinking tea (read wine) and nattering
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
By the way - has anyone noticed that half of the houses on Rightmove seem to be decorated exactly the same way? Big feature walls with trendy wallpaper, lots of matching cushions, white glossy kitchen cabinets with metal handles ... is everyone buying their stuff from the same few places? I blame Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen and 'Changing Rooms.'

I used to love 'Changing Rooms' if only to see the inside of English houses. (Did you know that LLB is a DJ now on Classic FM? )

Oooo, my weakness: interior design and decoration. One of the few things I just don't think the average person gets right here in the UK.

For my tastes, I love BHS and Bentalls. The stuff at M&S - while sometimes nice - is, as you point out Sally, found in every home.

I'm also shocked by the high cost of really naff furniture (examples I've seen include kitchen and dining tables; beds; bedroom furniture). Sally, I know you've mentioned wanting to bring over some of your nice furniture and in theory I agree. I left some awesome stuff behind in the States. But we didn't want our furniture to dictate what type/size place we end up renting. Suppose if you knew beforehand where you would be living, it would be a different scenario.

One has to be very, very clever over here in order to pull together a really awesome look IMHO. It can be done, but it takes a lot of shopping around (new and vintage) to find just the right stuff. I base my opinion on what I have seen at charity shops, auction houses (Chiswick Auctions), and shops.

On a somewhat related subject (i.e., design), I just came across this woman's blog the other day and am enamored with what she's done to an adorable little caravan in her back garden. Check it out: http://bit.ly/hNiAtn
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Denise that caravan is very sweet but I just don't go for that whole retro type look PERSONALLY but I know it is very "in" over there just as it is becoming fashionable here too.

My niece and her fiancee in London are right into the look and my sister and I grimaced at some of the furniture they have that they consider to be cool and hip, I remember it first time around.........

You should get over to Frome to visit Rosie as there is a whole slew of retro shops in a street called Catherine Hill.

I love home makeover shows and I didn't know LLB was a DJ, well you learn something new every day.

Actually one of my favourite home makeovers shows is American though Ty the host is a wee bit too loud for my liking!! It is Extreme Home Makeover where they take say a poor family who are really struggling or one who have illnesses and rip down their dilapidated house and build them a mansion basically!!! Many is the box of tissues I have gone through when they come to the reveal at the end!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

My computer got infected so I'm behind about 30 hours.
TT, What village did you live in around Chester?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,
I'm paying out those amounts for health insurance and RX to cover the deductibles after medicare pays their amount.
I would be alright if I didn't have to pay for the different insurances.
Cheers.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don,

When we make out a budget we can have two classes of overhead one fixed (housing, ins., utilities,) the other would be variable or arbitrary such as food, eating out, petrol to name a few.
If we need to we could cut back.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.