Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I wanted to let you all know that I had a wonderful evening. My neighbour who lives across the street and whom I met just before Christmas, invited me over and we had a meal, lots of tea, and talked as though we had known each other forever, instead of only a few hours. She is 20 years older, very interested in life and a very interesting person - we will get together again in the week. I will help her with learning the internet, and getting the recycling sorted out for her building, and we have plans for drives together (her car) as soon as the weather changes for the better. She has a little long haired dachshund, We had a Toyota once (I can't help it)Charlie, who is awesome - blonde, cute and delightfully naughty.
Is she from Frome?

Tomorrow: a Brown Bag meeting at Rook Lane Arts (Barb - you will know where that is) with the Frome Creative Network, which group I joined last week.
How did it go??
Off and running! Just a part time job needed.

Rosie
Comments made
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...bFls3FCw&pli=1
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could watch the Abbey Road Live Webcam for hours because it is raining there in London.

I'm off to Los Angeles this morning and I'm not looking forward to it.
Tonight LA
Tomorrow night Las Vegas
Next night, home.

Cheers
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
It doesn't show anything only a google sign in page
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Is council tax the same as "rates"?
YES Its what you pay on your house in the US each year if you are a home owner ---- its Just called property tax over there I think,
But renters in US dont have to pay the property tax --- thats the owners responsibility, thats my point you see cause over here the land lords collect there rent and somehow the government gets the council tax/property tax from the tenant each month,
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,
Is this with or without a car?
WITHOUT ---- BUT WITH PAYING A MINIMUM OF £600 FOR A RUN OF THE MILL ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT, + utilities/food/council tax/internet/ and dont forget personel hygene products for yourself and cleaning probucts for the flat, and as there is no car then there will be high bus fares back and forth to work, £15,000 per year is only £1200 per month ---- now when at least half of your net income is taken up with rent then obviously your sure as hell not going to have too damn much left,
Rodney.
PS besides if TONY DIDENT HAVE A CAR HE WOULD NOT HAVE HIS JOB, remember --- (job requirement) and Denise is not yet 60 and maybe neither is Tony so they will have to pay for there prescriptions --- each Item £8, that can quite mount up if you have a few Items each time, so thats even more expense, and Im sure theres a heck of a lot of things that I have forgotten that one needs to just survive,

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 17th 2011 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I just spoke to my friend in Dorset. She said its been raining on and off for weeks. I aslked her if she missed anything from the US. She has been back in the UK for 6 months she said apart from the weather not really. She had been away for more than 10 years and said that she fell back into her old life almost immediately. There are a few things that annoy her. The cost of getting anything done in your home is very expensive. They need work done on their bathroom and she said the estimates were ridiculous. So her husband is doing it himself. Food she finds a little cheaper but heating the house she feels is more expensive. Her main moan is parking. The parking area's are always full and they do not give you very big parking spots. The traffic is awful but she is getting use to it. I forgot to ask her what the company was that shipped her furniture she was not pleased with them at all. I shall ask her next time I speak to her.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123... thats correct in the US the renters do not pay the property taxes. I wish we had rented instead of buying.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:48 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

With regard to some of the comments about Sheltered Housing ... I'm not old and neither is my husband. He's 51 and I'm 56 and we are VERY young at heart. The only, and I mean the only, reason we are even considering Sheltered Housing is because of the cost.

It's cheap.

We have no intention whatsoever of participating in any of the activities that are [usually] offered .... unless it's something we fancy. For example, sometimes these places will sponsor bus trips to the coast or something like that. Hell yes I'd take them up on that if it's a good deal. Why not?

In a nutshell, it's the least expensive housing option we've found to date. Doesn't even mean we'd accept it if one comes up. It would depend upon our circumstances at the time. But we figured there's no harm done in going ahead and getting on the list.

By the way - I have a job interview on Friday for a solicitor here in Staines.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Comments made
Here are your answers, oh cheeky one: yes, she is from Frome. And today went well, and - I also applied for an Arts coordinator position here in Frome. Busy day. Have an artist friend coming over on Friday, and we are organising an event for the Frome Creative Network - the group I met with last week, and again today.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Iceland is fantastic for tinned goods and bread and biscuits and stuff, SOME of their frozen food is good, some is awful.

You can get a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pie in there for £1.00, oh I do love them.
Hi Barb I will check out the Frey Bentos steak & Kidney pie tomorrow when I go into Iceland, I love Em too, and they also have a real nice large sliced white loaf with a crusty crispy top, and unlike french bread --- it keeps crusty in the fridge for a week, £1 a loaf
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WITHOUT ---- BUT WITH PAYING A MINIMUM OF £600 FOR A RUN OF THE MILL ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT, + utilities/food/council tax/internet/ and dont forget personel hygene products for yourself and cleaning probucts for the flat, and as there is no car then there will be high bus fares back and forth to work, £15,000 per year is only £1200 per month ---- now when at least half of your net income is taken up with rent then obviously your sure as hell not going to have too damn much left,
Rodney.
PS besides if TONY DIDENT HAVE A CAR HE WOULD NOT HAVE HIS JOB, remember --- (job requirement) and Denise is not yet 60 and maybe neither is Tony so they will have to pay for there prescriptions --- each Item £8, that can quite mount up if you have a few Items each time, so thats even more expense, and Im sure theres a heck of a lot of things that I have forgotten that one needs to just survive,
Rodney, this rent is very much dependent on where you live. I think Peigi pays £325 per month for a furnished flat, my sister pays £400.00 for a 2 bed unfurnished in Runcorn, I paid £500 per month for a fully furnished two bedroom flat with views of Lake Windermere.........all plus council tax and utilities of course............

Here in Australia my rent is more than 50% of my take home pay.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Considering your beautiful belongings ended up in the hold, I guess you got away pretty lightly.
Yes, I did get off lightly - at the time of rescuing my bag from the Heathrow baggage claim, I did not think anything had made it intact, because the bag was flattened a lot, and shaky - and the sound of tinkling broken items was evident. Oh well - at least I got most of the set still - I did leave the most expensive, and largest, items with a family member, asking for them to sold if at all possible: teapot, and 2 serving dishes which I do not like. Or they can go to my children when I die - if they care to have them. I am not sending for them - not worth the price of shipping, and I don't miss them. (china, not children!)
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, this rent is very much dependent on where you live. I think Peigi pays £325 per month for a furnished flat, my sister pays £400.00 for a 2 bed unfurnished in Runcorn, I paid £500 per month for a fully furnished two bedroom flat with views of Lake Windermere.........all plus council tax and utilities of course............

Here in Australia my rent is more than 50% of my take home pay.
True, I'm not particularly a Homes Under the Hammer watcher, but recorded it to test my new PVR recorder. If you don't know it, it's a show in which they follow people who buy houses at auction and do them up, then the show gets the house valued (for sale and for rent).

In this particular show, they had a very nice, large 3-BR semi in Stoke, which I think they said would rent for £400. The 3BR upper flat in Edinburgh, on the other hand, would rent for closer to £1,000, apparently.

There is as much variability in house rental values as in house sale values - about a 4-fold difference from the worst areas to the best areas (and even more, if you're talking anywhere close to London centre).
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
With regard to some of the comments about Sheltered Housing ... I'm not old and neither is my husband. He's 51 and I'm 56 and we are VERY young at heart. The only, and I mean the only, reason we are even considering Sheltered Housing is because of the cost.

It's cheap.

We have no intention whatsoever of participating in any of the activities that are [usually] offered .... unless it's something we fancy. For example, sometimes these places will sponsor bus trips to the coast or something like that. Hell yes I'd take them up on that if it's a good deal. Why not?

In a nutshell, it's the least expensive housing option we've found to date. Doesn't even mean we'd accept it if one comes up. It would depend upon our circumstances at the time. But we figured there's no harm done in going ahead and getting on the list.

By the way - I have a job interview on Friday for a solicitor here in Staines.
I am exactly with you Denise, I will keep meself to meself and not join in with the residents activities in the lounge room.

When I managed that place in Somerset, there were a few who did that, maybe the more young at heart like us.

It's all about what you make of it, living in as I did as a House Manager, I didn't join in as I felt it best to keep my work/home life apart (tips from my sister who had previously done the job), I just joined in once with a Christmas meal. So it needn't be any different living there as a resident.

I do believe you are correct though Wind, it seems to be only one pet which is not to be replaced when said pet dies.

Denise VERY good luck for the job interview in Staines , who knows we may work near each other at this rate.

Still no news on my job front, boss was supposed to be back at work yesterday, but he got stuck in Hawaii for the last few days unable to get a flight (stand by) my heart bleeds for him, what a place to get stuck in LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.