Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Rosie, sorry but I've forgotten - how are you subsiding? Are you drawing a pension or living off savings?

Your neighbour sounds delightful. Love the imagery of the two of you sitting and chatting over a cuppa.

I receive a small monthly sum of money in the U.S. from my ex-husband. It's not alimony, but a community property settlement (we were married over 25 yrs when we divorced). I like to keep that money in the bank over there for incidentals (birthday and Christmas presents for my children/grandchildren, mainly) and as my own personal savings (because you never know) ... but lately I've been thinking about the fact that I could in all reality transfer some of it over here every month (yes, even with that ungodly exchange rate) and that might help us with regard to getting our own place eventually.

The only problem is, once my ex drops dead, that money will stop. So I'd hate to get in the position of having to count on it and then it suddenly dries up.
DDL - I am waiting for the Pension to kick in - about 2 more weeks to wait, I was told last week. It will be the basic state pension, so I will need to work as well - part time will be fine - you all know how frugal I have become! I have been living on savings from all the items I sold in the USA. And the exchange rate makes me want to weep - each time I go to change my dollars I cringe. I don't feel hard done by - over here expectations of material items is less than in the States, and I am not outstandingly poor by any means. I have nice things from years ago - most of them from my time living here 24 years prior, and here they are again: Royal Doulton china, crystal wine glasses, sterling silver flatware. And I still retained a few items of my Grandmother's best linens. I think of Hyacinth Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances' now and then - only I don't have any handpainted Periwinkles. Hope there are some Hyacinth fans on here, or that was all lost in cyberspace.

So I eat my small, inexpensive meals off of the best! It is quite funny - at least I think so - and I enjoy the irony of the situation.

Rosie
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I wanted to let you all know that I had a wonderful evening. My neighbour who lives across the street and whom I met just before Christmas, invited me over and we had a meal, lots of tea, and talked as though we had known each other forever, instead of only a few hours. She is 20 years older, very interested in life and a very interesting person - we will get together again in the week. I will help her with learning the internet, and getting the recycling sorted out for her building, and we have plans for drives together (her car) as soon as the weather changes for the better. She has a little long haired dachshund, Charlie, who is awesome - blonde, cute and delightfully naughty.

Tomorrow: a Brown Bag meeting at Rook Lane Arts (Barb - you will know where that is) with the Frome Creative Network, which group I joined last week.

Off and running! Just a part time job needed.

Rosie
That is such good news! Congratulations on your first friend of many
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

DDL - I am waiting for the Pension to kick in - about 2 more weeks to wait, I was told last week. It will be the basic state pension, so I will need to work as well - part time will be fine - you all know how frugal I have become! I have been living on savings from all the items I sold in the USA. And the exchange rate makes me want to weep - each time I go to change my dollars I cringe. I don't feel hard done by - over here expectations of material items is less than in the States, and I am not outstandingly poor by any means. I have nice things from years ago - most of them from my time living here 24 years prior, and here they are again: Royal Doulton china, crystal wine glasses, sterling silver flatware. And I still retained a few items of my Grandmother's best linens. I think of Hyacinth Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances' now and then - only I don't have any handpainted Periwinkles. Hope there are some Hyacinth fans on here, or that was all lost in cyberspace.

So I eat my small, inexpensive meals off of the best! It is quite funny - at least I think so - and I enjoy the irony of the situation.

Rosie
Not lost in cyberspace I watched Hyacinth on PBS last night. If you are living very frugally you may find you don't really need to work especially if you will get a full pension, but it would be nice way to meet other people and put a bit away for a holiday.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Not lost in cyberspace I watched Hyacinth on PBS last night. If you are living very frugally you may find you don't really need to work especially if you will get a full pension, but it would be nice way to meet other people and put a bit away for a holiday.
Anyone watching Downton Abbey on PBS, really good so far, its a mini series.?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Me me, it's on tonight at 9pm, highlight of my foggy weekend
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - it just started here last week. I love it! Part 2 is on tonight, but I think I will tape it and watch it another night (want to watch the Golden Globes - hope "The King's Speech" wins - a wonderful movie). I believe Downton Abbey has 4 episodes - although there is a rumor that a Series II may be in the works.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Me me, it's on tonight at 9pm, highlight of my foggy weekend
I know, I am looking forward to it... after the Golden Globes, I am such an award show addict. Ricky Gervase is hosting.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know, I am looking forward to it... after the Golden Globes, I am such an award show addict. Ricky Gervase is hosting.
the globes are on at five..will be over by the time it comes on.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - it just started here last week. I love it! Part 2 is on tonight, but I think I will tape it and watch it another night (want to watch the Golden Globes - hope "The King's Speech" wins - a wonderful movie). I believe Downton Abbey has 4 episodes - although there is a rumor that a Series II may be in the works.
I am gonna have to miss the final episode then..will be back in UK by then...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Me too! I'm watching the pre-show on NBC. Half-watching actually, half studying. Can't wait for Ricky Gervase to insult everyone.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

I am gonna have to miss the final episode then..will be back in UK by then...
Maybe you can see it on hulu.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aviva
Maybe you can see it on hulu.
oh good idea..
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to let you all know that I had a wonderful evening. My neighbour who lives across the street and whom I met just before Christmas, invited me over and we had a meal, lots of tea, and talked as though we had known each other forever, instead of only a few hours. She is 20 years older, very interested in life and a very interesting person - we will get together again in the week. I will help her with learning the internet, and getting the recycling sorted out for her building, and we have plans for drives together (her car) as soon as the weather changes for the better. She has a little long haired dachshund, Charlie, who is awesome - blonde, cute and delightfully naughty.

Tomorrow: a Brown Bag meeting at Rook Lane Arts (Barb - you will know where that is) with the Frome Creative Network, which group I joined last week.

Off and running! Just a part time job needed.

Rosie
How lovely to have made a new friend. Now you will not feel so alone )
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie
We still see Hyacinth here in Dallas every Sunday evening.......each episode probably forth 100th time!
How did ship your crystal and china?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Rosie
Now there's nothing stopping you from having a quiet " Candlelight Supper".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.