British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

fulwood Jan 16th 2011 7:16 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

ED - very happy to hear news and hope all works out well. you have had an interesting journey in the year or more you have been back.. hope one day soon your husband and dogs get to join you..

cheers Jan 16th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9106005)
So what are rental rates like?

I think I have posted this before and hopefully it will work for you. It is a car club. You join and then anytime you need a car for a couple of hours you go and pick it up. They are parked on the street.

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/about/what-does-it-cost

also

http://www.wombatcarclub.co.uk/carsharing_24.asp

between two worlds Jan 16th 2011 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9106021)
Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple
of times a month. It can be done, it just is harder when your older.

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.

Great news ED!
Well done...and if there is a train, that's a much nicer way of commuting (IMO) than the stress of driving,or going on a bus...you can read on a train, or do sudoku, or whatever....of course I say this while never having had to rely on trains myself to get to a job! I just enjoy taking them when in UK...

Anyway, this is great, and as always, you are an inspiration!

Tina

cheers Jan 16th 2011 7:29 pm

Jackie,

Unless you have forgotten you leave for home next week:)

Will you have the use of a computer so you can report?

Cheers!

sallysimmons Jan 16th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9104185)
Great value for money - but way up north! Everything's much cheaper up there.

Also infinitely better! :rofl::rofl:

It depends where in the north you are - I wish the Lake District was cheap!

sallysimmons Jan 16th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9105206)
Could also be the fact that in the US they use Corn syrup in the chocolate recipe, and in the UK it is sugar that is used. Biscuits in the Uk are not so sweet and that takes a bit of palate adjustment. My opinion.

It's because America doesn't legislate the same amount of cocoa in chocolate that the UK does. If I remember rightly, that's why Belgian chocolate is better than English - because it has an even higher cocoa content.

ldyinlv Jan 16th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9106125)
Jackie,

Unless you have forgotten you leave for home next week:)

Will you have the use of a computer so you can report?

Cheers!

Oh yes, I will have computor access, my dad has a computor, and I am taking my little netbook..:) I will report ASAP after I get home.
I am leaving on BA at 8.10 pm Vegas time, on January 25th for all you wonderful stalkers out there..:)
Jackie

cheers Jan 16th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9105923)
And you are right when you say that a couple could maybe barely survive on £15k (net) per year if they rented a cheap enough apartment,
Rodney.

Rod,
Is this with or without a car?

sallysimmons Jan 16th 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9106138)
Oh yes, I will have computor access, my dad has a computor, and I am taking my little netbook..:) I will report ASAP after I get home.
I am leaving on BA at 8.10 pm Vegas time, on January 25th for all you wonderful stalkers out there..:)
Jackie

I am so envious that I literally turned green. Just had to have a cup of tea and a McVities chocolate digestive to cheer myself up. :lol:

ldyinlv Jan 16th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9106154)
I am so envious that I literally turned green. Just had to have a cup of tea and a McVities chocolate digestive to cheer myself up. :lol:

AWWW sorry Sally..;) it will be 5.10pm your time..lol

cheers Jan 16th 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9105754)
On a side note this thread is getting silly - I had to go back almost 10 pages to find my post that you responded to - and I only posted it yesterday!

I apologize but it is good for my soul when I see these posting. Maybe we should have another forum to chit chat.

I know what you mean about going back to find something that you remember being posted.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 16th 2011 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.

Congratulations ED :thumbsup:

aviva Jan 16th 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9106178)
I apologize but it is good for my soul when I see these posting. Maybe we should have another forum to chit chat.

I know what you mean about going back to find something that you remember being posted.

How about:
Cheering, Chit Chat, & Reminiscing about all things UK?

cheers Jan 16th 2011 7:59 pm

I thought it would be easier when you get older?

aviva Jan 16th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9106113)
I think I have posted this before and hopefully it will work for you. It is a car club. You join and then anytime you need a car for a couple of hours you go and pick it up. They are parked on the street.

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/about/what-does-it-cost

also

http://www.wombatcarclub.co.uk/carsharing_24.asp

Thanks! That approach looks like an interesting option.